1 2 3
iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
9/9/11 8:48 a.m.

Stand up driving is a whole new ball game. Surprising how much you will miss that seat until you get used to it.. You have to retrain your right foot.

AC ? You drive with the door open most of the time.

Raze
Raze Dork
9/9/11 9:23 a.m.

tell your wife Jay Leno has one so you'll be in good company:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/1954-divco-milk-truck/229318/

Couldn't you use it to haul your car to AutoX and then sell refreshments?

Aeromoto
Aeromoto New Reader
9/9/11 2:49 p.m.

Put it on an S-10 chassis, swap in a sb chevy, fix the inside up nice, add air conditioning, and drive the piss out of it.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
9/9/11 3:29 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:

I look at this picture and see completley awesome daily driver, grocery getter dog hauler. More awesome and more practical than any SUV.

A Divco is what Ransom and I would call "A moral imperative" Wherein under a fluctuating budget cap the desire to save and build a vehicle is far more important than any actual need to own it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/11 3:35 p.m.

I have a special place in my heart for the early ones...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
9/9/11 3:47 p.m.

Paint it up respectably, put brackets on the side to hold a 4x8' sheet of plywood (one each side). Do short term contracts to park it in the parking lots of businesses interested in renting it from you as an advertising tool.

Or get radio stations to pay you to park it at their live feed events (grocery store grand openings, sportsball games, festivals, etc) with their logo on the side.

Or...cummins + receiver hitch = awesome! Yeah, yeah, yeah...I hear the "short wheelbase" whining already. 1. It's not THAT short. 2. you won't be going THAT fast in this sprung-to-haul-elephants, 4wheel drum brake, no seatbelt, no seat monster.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/9/11 4:24 p.m.

Rat rod!

Rusty, low, and slow!

White wall tires... and chrome beauty rings!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/9/11 4:27 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Another gadget that's about the right size for fitting in the back of the truck would be a small laser marking table. I've seen mobile laser marking businesses making things like custom key chains, and one at a competition shooting event used to engrave gun stocks.

Wow... you have no idea how close you are getting inside my head, considering I am getting involved in a laser cutting, etching, and manufacturing company!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/11 5:00 p.m.

Give it to me.

kellym
kellym New Reader
9/9/11 6:42 p.m.

Head over to the H.A.M.B and type in Divco, there's some really cool builds over there.

Kelly

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
9/9/11 7:17 p.m.

Clearly the proper use is the kidnapping of beloved Dalmatian puppies.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/9/11 8:45 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: Put it on an S-10 chassis, swap in a sb chevy, fix the inside up nice, add air conditioning, and drive the piss out of it.

I don't think I'd be happy with the S-10 chassis. That's a HEAVY body.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/9/11 8:59 p.m.

That truck is really amazing. I want something like it. Any ideas on similar things that are challenge cheap? I really really want an old schwoopy truck.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/11 7:11 a.m.

Is the back floor about the right height that if you're outside & behind it you could use it as a workbench?

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey HalfDork
9/10/11 7:31 a.m.

I recommend setting the thing on the bumpstops, installing monstrous Hoosier A6 tires and a big block, leaving the standing driving position and then lending it out to people you wish to murder at autocross events.

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
9/10/11 8:55 a.m.

Would be great for a motorcycle racer's support truck. Will a bike fit in the back?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/11 9:16 a.m.

BaT had a Divco recently (didn't see anyone reference that here) that was very cool looking.

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/08/26/restored-1957-divco-ice-cream-truck/

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/10/11 9:36 a.m.
Taiden wrote: That truck is really amazing. I want something like it. Any ideas on similar things that are challenge cheap? I really really want an old schwoopy truck.

This one is Challenge cheap.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/10/11 9:37 a.m.
petegossett wrote: Is the back floor about the right height that if you're outside & behind it you could use it as a workbench?

Yes, but you'd be leaning over the bumper, and the rear doors are not full width.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/10/11 9:37 a.m.
problemaddict wrote: Would be great for a motorcycle racer's support truck. Will a bike fit in the back?

Yes, but you'd need a long ramp to get it up that high.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
9/10/11 11:55 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Wow... you have no idea how close you are getting inside my head, considering I am getting involved in a laser cutting, etching, and manufacturing company!

Used to work for an industrial laser company, although the things we made were a bit too large to fit in a Divco.

alex
alex SuperDork
9/10/11 2:16 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:

I really need this to deliver bread in.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
9/10/11 3:48 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: A Divco is what Ransom and I would call "A moral imperative" Wherein under a fluctuating budget cap the desire to save and build a vehicle is far more important than any actual need to own it.

exactly.

that truck doesn't need a purpose. in fact, i think it's way more badass with no purpose. just something you have and occasionally drive because you can.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/10/11 5:09 p.m.
alex wrote:
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
I really need this to deliver bread in.

I'll build you one.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
9/10/11 7:35 p.m.
Jay wrote:
Jay wrote: There's a guy down the street with an old milk truck body that has been tubbed (?), slammed, and has some kind of gnarly V8 driving it. It's never been repainted; it's wearing full-on patina and has a personalized number plate that says "milkman" or some variant. I'll have to grab a pic, I think some of you here would go nuts. It's pretty sweet.
Never mind, found it on the internets already:

Jay:

You in the London area? I have seen that truck twice now at the Plunket estate cruise night.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dntJcwxTniNjGfC3JHNLC5mMAvs4JmeicLG2LO90cYJOs18juCi3ec5FvSyQ2Xil