Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/20 5:00 p.m.

Our neighbor had bought our first Audi A4 Quattro about a year ago, a black B6 generation 1.8T called "Uno". It was due for an oil change, so I went over to see how he was doing, and he was holding the headlights?!?

For those of you that TL;DW he found an oil leak on the turbocharger, and since he already had a $100 Amazon/eBay/Chinesium replacement on hand, decided that he might as well change it, and what the heck, the timing belt is due, too. That's some serious scope creep right there! Anyway, he got it all done with almost no issues, despite being a nearly 240K mile car. Reports are the turbo is working great, but he's going to get a factory rebuild kit for the OE one just for some insurance.

_
_ Dork
2/28/20 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Set on fire. Blame arson. Use insurance cash to buy a Honda. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/28/20 9:30 p.m.

Ah, yes, the famous Audi "service position"

Eurotrash_Ranch
Eurotrash_Ranch New Reader
2/28/20 10:40 p.m.

For all the maintenance higher milage audis seem to need, it was really cool of the engineers to make the front end so easy to remove (or at least shift forward)

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
2/28/20 10:42 p.m.

In all fairness, the whole front of those usually comes off in half an hour if you know the right steps to do it. 

Javelin
2/29/20 12:23 a.m.

To be fair to the car, it has 240k miles and that was the original turbo. The timing belt has been done at least twice before. He got it all done with hand tools in less than a weekend.

Eurotrash_Ranch
Eurotrash_Ranch New Reader
2/29/20 12:44 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Ive got about 220k on my B5. Reading that shops were getting $800-$1400 to do a complete timing belt service, I got out the wrenches.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/20 5:52 a.m.

Failing so hard.

You don't remove the headlights,  you unscrew the coolant jug and swing it up out of the way.

Turbocharger oil drool is a PCV issue, not a turbo issue.  Basically, hit it all with some brake cleaner or two and move on with your life.

Knurled.
2/29/20 5:53 a.m.
Eurotrash_Ranch said:

In reply to Javelin :

Ive got about 220k on my B5. Reading that shops were getting $800-$1400 to do a complete timing belt service, I got out the wrenches.

????

It is Not. Hard.  At.  All.  Or even very labor intensive.

Knurled.
2/29/20 5:57 a.m.
oldopelguy said:

In all fairness, the whole front of those usually comes off in half an hour if you know the right steps to do it. 

Five minutes tops, if you have two very long M8x.1.25 bolts (find a dead Mazda smoothcase transmission) to have something to slide the bumper brackets on.  VWAG put all the front "cooling stack" hoses on long S-loops for a reason.  Once you disconnect the intercooler and the upper coolant jug hose, you replace two of the bumper bolts with the dead RX-7/Miata transmission bolts, slide the core support foward 4-5 inches, wedge a chunk of 2x4 in there so you leaning your pasty fat self on it won't push it back into place, and get to work,

You need to remove the front end to do a timing belt as much as you need to remove your socks to pee in a urinal.

Dootz
Dootz Reader
2/29/20 6:50 a.m.

Wonder when Germany will be forced to stop selling cars as planned obsolescence. Seriously, I see backwards engineering that makes everything harder to work or worsens long-term reliability since they only care about leasing out new cars. 2nd-hand owners are pretty much ****ed

eastpark
eastpark Reader
2/29/20 7:03 a.m.
Knurled. said:

You need to remove the front end to do a timing belt as much as you need to remove your socks to pee in a urinal.

Quote of the day, right here.

Javelin
2/29/20 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

He's never worked on a German car, let alone that Audi. Also, having driven the car before and after, that turbo was definitely DED dead.

Knurled.
2/29/20 9:35 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to Knurled. :

He's never worked on a German car, let alone that Audi.

So, without watching fhe video, i am assuming it is a steam of "I have no idea why they would do this therefore I am going to complain loudly that the world does not bow to my preconceived notions, for clickbait"

Javelin
3/1/20 9:43 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

No, actually, it's my neighbor just happily chipping away at a whole lot of maintenance on his car and me poking a little fun at him for scope creep. We've all been there where we just started taking too many things apart. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eoGA7Gsc56ZVhTtBD6M8dI5LhQwZ0uiCGXPhsGbCO6nPzpDiLlNSQP5ejpZYOHTR