DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/21/21 12:46 p.m.

The one where you use a router to enlarge the pilot hole on aluminum wheels. Well, it works if you take your time and measure carefully. I was bored and decided to try it. Miata wheel (54mm) on my MINI (56mm)

Junghole
Junghole SuperDork
10/21/21 1:00 p.m.

Link to said stunt so I can watch it and pretend I'm an instant genius on the subject?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/21/21 1:02 p.m.
Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
10/21/21 1:28 p.m.

Ew, I don't like it. The wheels on the Mini are fine, I mean the router trick. I have access to lathes though, so of course I wouldn't like it.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/21/21 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Cactus :

Well, if I had access to a lathe that could swing a 17" diameter wheel I'd do it that way, too, but this does the job in the absence of a machine shop.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/21 10:33 p.m.

I did it with some aluminum rims I put on my boat trailer.  I had to machine off a lip on the inside of the hub opening.  No machine shop would touch it, so I used my router.  Worked a treat.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
10/23/21 10:53 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to Cactus :

Well, if I had access to a lathe that could swing a 17" diameter wheel I'd do it that way, too, but this does the job in the absence of a machine shop.

Back in my youth I bought a set of celica gts wheels to put on a fiero. I took it to a machine shop to enlarge the centre hole and he did it on a mill with a boring bar.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bGvPCe4r80N4PXEgexgWUFKuJygJcr9piMmiIzWssEMxkyJKcXtHInxCqcI5FSiA