1 2
stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/7/18 8:04 a.m.
JoeTR6 said:

A turbo on a TR6 motor?  My guess is the bearings are in the sump along with the big ends.

I'm thinking triple rotary here.  Keep it light and balanced.

Has CMS ever done a TVR project car?  If not, might I suggest they consider one.

Agree with the project suggestion. Just look how much money they would save on transportation costs!

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
2/7/18 9:39 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:
fidelity101 said:

How tall is too tall for this car? Always loved these.

It depends on your build----- but it's not roomy.   I'd think 5'10" would  be pushing the upper limits.

so 6'4" all legs is out of the question then :(

I was also thinking rotary but I am biased.. and I also have enough random crap laying around to slap together a 130-150hp engine for less than 300 dollars.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/7/18 9:44 a.m.

To anyone interested----- the owner is eager to sell, so make him an offer.  Obviously this is a solid, decent car, so he's not going to take 1/2 of what he's asking.  BUT.....You may be able to fetch this for less than  his full asking price. 

An all aluminum BMW straight six would be a sweet swap too!   Although a rotary would be compact, light and really----in a 2000lb car, 250-300hp would be ridiculous!   Any more power, and that tiny little wheelbase might bite you in the keister!  

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/18 9:57 a.m.

It needs more than 130-150 HP in my opinion.  Factory versions in other markets had  V8 engines, so the chassis is more than capable

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
2/7/18 10:10 a.m.

Having owned a Vixen (Cortina 1600 - 97hp)  You don't need 300hp... in fact I can't think of a better chassis to swap in a warmed over 4AGE, and a T50.   

too far... and I already bought a new "toy"

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/18 10:44 a.m.

I wonder if he'll take 4k. 

A 13b + turbo seems like it be more than enough for such a car. But, I'd love a NA inline6. I wond. er what options would there be

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
2/7/18 11:59 a.m.
yupididit said:

I wonder if he'll take 4k. 

A 13b + turbo seems like it be more than enough for such a car. But, I'd love a NA inline6. I wond. er what options would there be

True.  Maybe just find a FC RX-7 turbo motor.  215 hp stock, and revs to the moon.  That does sound about right.  Unfortunately, I'm up to my eyeballs in Triumphs right now.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/18 12:36 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

I kind of want this car. But I have way too many cars and not all of them are here in this state. I need to wrangle them in. 

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/8/18 12:44 p.m.

Daewoo XK 2.0 inline six seems quite appropriate for this.  Too bad I have no idea what bellhousing bolts to that motor to allow for a RWD installation.  And then there's building an exhaust header that works in this chassis.  And and and...

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
2/8/18 4:35 p.m.

Ugh, not what I need to see. I live local to that car and there was a time I realllllly wanted one because to me, they were sort of an already-completed kit car with good suspension. Alas,that was back in the crazy 1980s when I was a broke student and the price of anything exotic was crazy high. Decades later I ended up building what I wanted from scratch, so while the attraction is still there, times have changed.

Sort of reminds me of the closing scene in "American Graffiti", where he's flying out of town on the way to college, looks out the window and sees the woman he thought he was in love with driving out of town as well. And so it goes.

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN GRM+ Member
2/13/18 7:36 a.m.

I used to post on the GRM board a bit way back in the late 90's, but it's been a long time.  Lately I've just lurked, and this is a new login.

I'm actually thinking hard about buying this car.  I talked with the owner for a good half hour the other day and he sent me a bunch more pictures.  I've wanted a TVR forever, and this one is pretty original and not too expensive.

I'll admit I'm a bit intimidated by the whole process of buying a non-running car in a state 2/3 of the way across the country.  I'm in Denver, so it's not like I can just pop over and have a look.  I suppose I could get a $200 flight into Orlando and go have a look.

Payment would be another question.  If I did fly in, I could give cash.  If I didn't, how have people done this?  Paypal?  I guess that would be manageable if the owner is savvy to that kind of thing.

I did get quotes on shipping - seems like the magic number is $950.

Not even broaching the subject of where the car would go at home, or what engine might go in it.  That's beside the point right now!

If I'm lucky someone else will buy it and put me out of my misery!

- Scott

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/13/18 8:15 a.m.

It would be neat to put a 2.5 liter Volvo I6 in there.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/13/18 9:52 a.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

Tim once restored a TVR Griffith to show-quality condition and sold it for a bundle.  I was at the Bithlo dragstrip when he ran a 12.9 with it on a shakedown run.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
2/13/18 11:47 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:
fidelity101 said:

How tall is too tall for this car? Always loved these.

It depends on your build----- but it's not roomy.   I'd think 5'10" would  be pushing the upper limits.

I'm out

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/13/18 6:09 p.m.
pres589 said:

Daewoo XK 2.0 inline six seems quite appropriate for this.  Too bad I have no idea what bellhousing bolts to that motor to allow for a RWD installation.  And then there's building an exhaust header that works in this chassis.  And and and...

Just curious why that Daewoo inline 6 would be appropriate for this?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5YQlaU2SUrXMCXWwJxaw8HuLOeGBER5IO3yGwOmv21vhosSHV4E6M4HbewNuTgdV