Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
7/28/17 8:45 a.m.
feature_image

Torsion bar Hondas are so much fun—light weight plus an agile chassis. They didn’t make a zillion horsepower, but they didn’t need it. Several of these cars passed through our hands back in the day, and we’re starting to get the hots for another one.

Someone here needs to buy this 1987 Honda Civic Si track car so we don’t. …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/28/17 9:25 a.m.

JG and I are going to buy this. Fortunately I still have a set of Mugen wheels for one of these.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/28/17 11:35 a.m.

please buy it because I am very very interested.... without funds..

David S. Wallens
7/28/17 11:39 a.m.

We've had these before. I had an '86 Civic Si that became by $1500 Challenge car. Before that, Tim built a 1500S. I drove it to Mid-Ohio and back for the Runoffs. Tim also put a twin-cam into an '86 Civic Si. We should have kept that one.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/28/17 11:58 a.m.

My favorite generation Civic-- especially the 85 without the flush headlamps. I remember my Dad and I test driving the 86 Civic Si and the 86 GTI (8v) back to back when both were new. We both liked the Civic Si a lot, but the GTI had better steering feel, and more torque---- so Dad bought the Volkswagen. It served him well.

I still wonder if I would have gone down the Honda fanboi path if Dad had opted for the Civic instead of the VW. As it happened, I was a VW guy for a while---- until they got fat and sloppy.

David S. Wallens
7/28/17 12:39 p.m.

You know, the first time I saw the '84 Civic hatch I wasn't interested. Then soon after I saw one in Chinatown wearing Centra wheels.

Not sure why, but at that moment something clicked and I fell in love with the shape. I'd love to have another one.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
7/28/17 12:54 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: JG and I are going to buy this. Fortunately I still have a set of Mugen wheels for one of these.

I happen to have six 13x7 Revolutions that you could use; I mean buy. I bought them from a guy who used them on his national-caliber 3rd gen EP Civic. I believe it was the same car that Poopie bought.

I had hoped to use them on my Prelude but the offset is wrong for the car. But damn, they really work well on 1st gen Crx's, and 3rd/4th gen Civics.

David S. Wallens
7/28/17 1:10 p.m.

When I bought the Mugens, as I was putting them in the garage my wife asked which car they were for.

"Remember that red Civic we sold in 1999? That one."

ClassicHondaGuy
ClassicHondaGuy New Reader
8/4/17 2:18 p.m.

Excited to see this car go to a good home!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mkbqgsJX2XHdSYWakjhSQ3jXLoGCfR4AtrES4iE14u14PwsGiuKKW0WPls3uwpTV