David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/28/17 12:53 p.m.
feature_image

The Judas Priest platinum-selling album “Turbo” and title track “Turbo Lover” were, in fact, inspired by a turbocharged car—guitarist Glenn Tipton’s 1985 Porsche 911 Turbo SE. And next month that very Porsche will be offered by Silverstone Auctions.

“We had a tour of the factory at Stuttgart and I was so impressed with the engineering and how meticulous they …

Read the rest of the story

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/28/17 1:39 p.m.

Finally, an appropriate car for these seat covers!!!

David S. Wallens
9/28/17 1:47 p.m.

Perfect. 

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/17 7:44 p.m.

That Mobil 1 reminder tag on the airbox.

So clean!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/17 9:10 p.m.

Pretty sure I still have that album on vinyl somewhere.

David S. Wallens
9/28/17 9:49 p.m.

Ha, I just remembered that we posted this online--like a million years ago. Soon after I got my 911, I drove it down to Sarasota to see Judas Priest. Killer show. I have seen them on their most recent tours, too. When Halford comes out on stage, it's like he sucks all of the air out of the room. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
10/7/17 9:34 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Finally, an appropriate car for these seat covers!!!

Do they make these in Hell Bent for Leather?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/7/17 9:37 a.m.

Oh hell yes.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
10/8/17 6:11 p.m.

A bit before my time, but, yup I have that album on vinyl too. That's probably as close as I'll ever get to owning this car. 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
10/8/17 6:54 p.m.

2 more weeks. I'm anxious to see how much it sells for.

David S. Wallens
10/9/17 8:53 p.m.
Crackers wrote:

2 more weeks. I'm anxious to see how much it sells for.

Yeah, same here. By the way, I have seen them on their last few tours--including the one that was supposed to be their last. When Halford walks out on stage, it's like he sucks the air out of the room. He has arrived. 

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/9/17 9:26 p.m.

I love the car - but it wasn't really a muse for Turbo Lover - it was the end of Priest. After Defenders of the Faith was released in '84 they nose-dived harder than a drug-free Aerosmith ever could have imagined. Pining to cliche 15 year old boy fantasy lyrics when you are twice that age is retarded.

If I bought that car I'd fire up Unleased in the East Live in Japan as loud as those terrible Porsche Alpines stuffed in shallow tin sockets with no bass at all could go. To forget the horrors of Turbo one need only blow a dry-rotten 5 1/4 paper  speaker banging your head to a little of pre-shark jumping JP awesomeness (possibly the best live album in recording history):

https://www.youtube.com/embed/REUmfwRB0AI

*For the non-priest fans... fast-forward to 31:30 for the greatest live rock scream in recorded history.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
10/10/17 10:41 p.m.

But Painkiller though... I can understand Ram It Down not being someone's cup of tea (I liked it)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SewPMZSJOfTcri4h7x2KTp3oxmlk7JdzDreTWezgOSMqEvAeb5Om3gFGBx42aCSX