Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
12/6/17 1:39 p.m.
feature_image

Maybe you remember this car from the August 2009 cover of Grassroots Motorsports magazine. Peter Brock of BRE created this Datsun 510 two-door—aptly named Datzilla—to rule all others as the ultimate 510. It's powered by a 350-cubic-inch Chevy V8 making 300 horsepower at the wheels. Of course, this isn't just a simple engine swap. Virtually every part of this …

Read the rest of the story

REDHOT2
REDHOT2 New Reader
12/6/17 3:25 p.m.

My first "sporty car" was '69 510, lemon yellow with a black interior. I installed all sorts of BRE stuff on it and loved it. Somehow the idea of a 510 with a V8 just doesn't feel right. Oh well, still nicely done.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/17 3:49 p.m.

Maybe I should add this to my collection of V8 powered japanese cars. :D Have another car my wife would hate when I drop the hammer. haha

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/6/17 5:04 p.m.

I do need this! I need to win the lottery in order to acquire it. Anybody willing to share the winning numbers?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
12/7/17 5:41 a.m.

Very cool car but I am a purist.  The last thing I want up front in a 510 is a Chevy. Just my opinion.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/7/17 7:06 a.m.

It's probably worth it for the provenance, but it's an older build and it looks like it. That's the problem with cutting edge customs, eventually they just become old customs. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/7/17 9:43 a.m.

Datsun 510   check

ZZ3 check

custom frame, susp, cage,   check

Peter Brock   check

Hooked me with the TSW's     dbl check

Price, worth every penny     check

PSA .....sleeper alert!!!!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/17 10:13 a.m.

This car is pretty cool.

I think a true "Datzilla" would be a 510 with an RB26DETT blush

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
12/8/17 10:21 a.m.

It doesnt look like the motor is set back far enough to get the weight balance right.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
12/12/17 1:26 p.m.
Feedyurhed said:

Very cool car but I am a purist.  The last thing I want up front in a 510 is a Chevy. Just my opinion.

You may be a purist but If it's good enough for Peter Brock .....

I'm sure it's a well done piece. I've owned v8 powered Datsuns and factory powered ones, they all can be fun.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
12/12/17 1:34 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Or a VQ35DETT

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/12/17 1:55 p.m.

Whats it worth on the open market  if you or I built it to the same standard?

That is what I thouht.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
12/12/17 11:20 p.m.

I always get confused reading about Peter Brock because this is very much not the King of the Mountain.

Desy
Desy New Reader
12/13/17 1:37 p.m.

You lost me at v8.  A SR or RB would be so much more fitting. 2oB 3 rotor or F series Honda also acceptable.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon New Reader
12/13/17 1:43 p.m.

To me it actually makes sense it combines his history as he was the designer of the original corvette sting ray and the cobra daytona coupe.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PvCWomRykry4UJWqww44cmuDmkFuyaizCSnFyywhXb8lqFhTPxbGRfrW5ueakZUw