Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
12/18/23 2:48 p.m.
feature_image

Looking for a blank canvas for your next track car? How about this E28-chassis BMW 5 Series roller?

The seller notes this car comes fitted with a roll cage as well as upgraded suspension and brakes–all you’ll need to add is a new engine, transmission and fuel cell.

So, what’s your engine of choice? BMW straight-six? LS V8? Something electric? …

Read the rest of the story

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
12/18/23 2:55 p.m.

Maserati Bi-turbo

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
12/18/23 4:05 p.m.

A rotary ... i mean ... a Wankel - that keeps it German, right?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/23 4:24 p.m.

There's an s54 for sale on marketplace near me...

But honestly I think whoever buys this should look to the most recent winner of the $2000 challenge for drivetrain inspiration!

Dootz
Dootz Reader
12/18/23 7:38 p.m.

What it normally has - a natutally-aspirated straight six.

 

That's right, I'm talking about the Atlas 4200! All aluminum with torque for days.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
12/18/23 7:42 p.m.
Dootz said:

What it normally has - a natutally-aspirated straight six.

 

That's right, I'm talking about the Atlas 4200! All aluminum with torque for days.

I was gonna go with something a bit earlier...

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
12/18/23 8:49 p.m.

Needs an OM606

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/18/23 11:12 p.m.

The classic choice would be an S38 out of an e28 M5, or even better the updated S38 out of an e34 M5.  A newer and probably better choice would be an S54 out of an e46 M3, I know a couple guys who have done that.  A GM LS engine has been done multiple times, but it will require some modifications to the brake master cylinder booster mounting to make a V8 fit.  The original M30 big six that came in these cars originally responds well to turbocharging - there used to be a company called Turbocharging Dynamics or TCD that made a nice kit for this but they are out of production, so you're best off these days building your own exhaust manifold, intercooler and piping. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/23 11:36 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

The classic choice would be an S38 out of an e28 M5, or even better the updated S38 out of an e34 M5.  A newer and probably better choice would be an S54 out of an e46 M3, I know a couple guys who have done that. 

It's hard to go wrong with an S54, it's a wonderful engine.  If budget wasn't a concern, I'd go with an S65 over an LS though.

 

Peanu_Keeyes
Peanu_Keeyes GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/19/23 1:53 a.m.

Practically -- M50 or S52 with 3.23 lsd. 
Ambitiously -- N55 

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
12/19/23 10:19 a.m.

I'm tired of LS swaps and K swaps. How about a WW1 era Liberty V-12? laugh

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
12/19/23 3:43 p.m.

Let's do a Cummins 2.8, cuz these were better with deezels.  Call it an endurance racer.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/19/23 3:50 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
stuart in mn said:

The classic choice would be an S38 out of an e28 M5, or even better the updated S38 out of an e34 M5.  A newer and probably better choice would be an S54 out of an e46 M3, I know a couple guys who have done that. 

It's hard to go wrong with an S54, it's a wonderful engine.  If budget wasn't a concern, I'd go with an S65 over an LS though.

 

If budget isn't a concern, S85 with equal-length headers for that classic F1 howl.

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
12/19/23 9:39 p.m.
Msterbee said:

I'm tired of LS swaps and K swaps. How about a WW1 era Liberty V-12? laugh

 

Umm, this is a German car, no?  Wouldn't a Messershmitt engine be more appropriate. Keeping it "all German", right? 

This one, however, needs more work than the entire car...

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab Reader
12/20/23 11:14 a.m.

S54. Done. Turbocharge if needed

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
12/20/23 1:40 p.m.
DavyZ said:
Msterbee said:

I'm tired of LS swaps and K swaps. How about a WW1 era Liberty V-12? laugh

 

Umm, this is a German car, no?  Wouldn't a Messershmitt engine be more appropriate. Keeping it "all German", right? 

This one, however, needs more work than the entire car...

Messerschmitt planes didn't use Messerschmitt engines. The BF-109 used a Daimler Benz DB-605 for instance.  How about this BMW V1 V-12?  Might as well keep it in the family.  I'm not sure they would be too happy if we borrowed it from the museum... 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/20/23 1:53 p.m.
stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/20/23 3:13 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Good luck fitting that into an e28.  It would take two of their engine compartments.

drock25too
drock25too HalfDork
12/20/23 4:09 p.m.

5.7 Hemi. Because a guy has one and owes me money. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/23 12:09 a.m.

S85B50 Plus the factory 6 speed. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eo3K70QvZprzL3ikzg1FMQDqpOlUeL5oqe3LvpMQa8vuzi9O94Ggv1CFQNvn8wfN