1 2 3
ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
10/13/08 6:01 p.m.

I will not drink the Nissan Kool-Aid. If I spent $80,000 on a super car, it eats a tranny while still under warranty and I get a bill for $20,000 I would not be happy. I'm interested to see what else breaks on these cars when they get a few miles on them. Give me a Z06 for that kind of money.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
10/13/08 10:27 p.m.

I was looking at a red GTR at the State Fair today. It was tough to get close because of the treacherous footing. The drool was almost ankle deep in places.

One nice looking car and quite tidy looking, not bulky at all. Course the back seat was a little on the smallish side, but good for kids, groceries and all the other little things that you need to carry from time to time.

We didn't find another car in the price range that came close except the Viper, then it became a toss up with the GTR winning most of the time due to the usuability (?) of the car.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy New Reader
10/14/08 8:28 a.m.
how many transmission mods are on a PGT Subaru wrx?

This is where I tell you how PGT/P4 WRX's hemorrhage transmissions every single rally and a huge reason why production 4 is now no longer a rally class in Rally America.

There is more damage done to a gearbox during a stage then there ever was down a 1/4 mile. However, the sheer starting force at the beginning of the 1/4 mile is what kills the tranny... which suprisingly enough the WRX/STI was not designed to do (full throttle clutch drops). The Nissan however, was designed to do so or they wouldn't have included the feature.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/14/08 8:37 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
how many transmission mods are on a PGT Subaru wrx?
This is where I tell you how PGT/P4 WRX's hemorrhage transmissions every single rally and a huge reason why production 4 is now no longer a rally class in Rally America.

If you're gentle you can get them to last a season, I've seen it. But you are correct that the trans are weak, but from my casual observation(wrenched at a few rallies etc) the trans have a better chance on stage with a good driver than on a dragstrip with a teenager.

that said.. I've only ever, personally, wrenched on 2wd rally cars because the teams i worked for knew what an expense awd turbo cars are to run.. They're marginally faster than a good g2 car but have a lot more to go wrong.

d_jabsd
d_jabsd GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/14/08 10:24 a.m.

The first denied warranty has been followed by the first totaled GT-R.

Damage estimated at $55,000.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4072788

I wonder if the owner's last words before the accident were 'Hold my beer! Watch this!'

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
10/14/08 12:45 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
noisycricket wrote: Street Subarus are not rally cars.
o rly? how many transmission mods are on a PGT Subaru wrx? tell me please.

I'll grant you that they are required to use OEM gearsets. And just ask anyone how long they last. It's cheaper to run in Open class just because you can use an upgraded gearset and only replace it once a year or so.

Unless you're Randy ZImmerman and you're running an N/A model, anyway, but we can't all be that cool.

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
10/14/08 12:53 p.m.
Thinkkker wrote: How about another way to describe this. You go looking for a family car. Something everyone can get into all at once. There is a super nice $)%($@ car over here. Fits everything perfectly, but you cannot open both rear doors at the same time. If you do, the warranty is voided, because the car could break in half. Would you still buy this super nice, fits all the bills better than everything else vehicle? Thats just my take. If you can live with it, great, if not, then pass on. I for one could not take that, dont touch this button bs.

Well, there is quite a difference. Opening the doors does not put more stress on the vehicle than it can be reasonably be expected to experience during normal street driving.

Here's a better analogy.

You buy a GT-R. You drive it "normally". The warranty is good because a warranty is meant to cover defects in workmanship.

You buy a GT-R. You race it. You're going to break things, it's a heavy car with power and all wheel drive. If it was RWD you'd probably break things. This isn't defects in workmanship.

NOW...

You buy an F-350. You use it to drive back and forth to work and maybe cart bulky things around every now and then. The warranty is good.

You buy an F-350. You use it as a commercial vehicle, and burn out the trans in 30k because you regularly run the vehicle up to its rated load/tow capacity. The warranty is void because it is a commercial vehicle.

AutoXR
AutoXR New Reader
10/14/08 12:57 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: 8,000lb car with monster engine and giant wheels has drivetrain failures when driven hard, more at 11. I'd never buy a car like a GTR. EDIT: Oh wait it actually ways "only" 5300lbs, about as much as my two cars (With the Sammy offroad-geared) plus that super light black locost in Reader's Rides.
No, it's not that heavy. I corner-weighted our test car. Off the top of my head, the number was closer to 3800 pounds. It's still no Miata, but it's not north of two tons.

Perhaps I am late to the party on this one , but what happened to your test GTR? friend of mine lives down the street from your office, said it didn't look to be in good shape.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
10/14/08 1:16 p.m.

I just did a track event at CMP this past weekend and two of them were there. Both in the novice group. I'd see one in the mirror and tell my student that a GT-R was coming and he'd immediatly stick arm out for a point by. Absolutly no need to lift for them to make the pass.

It's amazing that the fastest / high tech / high dollar cars are in the novice group. They either loose intrest or realize they need a beater for the track.

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
10/15/08 4:51 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: We actually have a Ferrari in next issue's "budget supercar" story.

SCHWIIIIIIIIIINNNNNGG!!!!!!!!!

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo New Reader
10/15/08 5:55 p.m.

i love the first comment under the totalled GTR...

"best looking GTR yet..."

that kinda says it all....

MikeSVO
MikeSVO New Reader
10/15/08 9:33 p.m.

I agree...I mean, maybe part of what makes people see it as attractive is the guts underneath. But myself? No way...that thing is fugly. Through and through. Cool? Sure - but not pretty.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wvm3S7OqL7zclhGc6NGE7BsxfONwqOG5rNwwLXcksfQkR4Q3XKq4wED6rwSOBPwM