Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
7/8/09 10:24 a.m.
feature_image

Shortly after we got our 1994 Golf GL home to Florida, we saw an ad on ImprovedTouring.com for a 1995 Golf Sport that also had no sunroof. That got our attention, and when we found out the car was just 2.5 hours away from our office, we knew we had to go take a look.

Long story short: We purchased …

Read the rest of the story

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
7/9/09 11:09 p.m.

Pun-tastic!

speedblind
speedblind HalfDork
7/10/09 8:43 a.m.

It never fails - once you actually buy a car, a cheaper version of the same thing pops up. Good on you for jumping on it.

Gonzo_Bmod
Gonzo_Bmod Reader
7/10/09 1:28 p.m.

Wanna buy another Legrand? Just Kidding.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
7/10/09 2:15 p.m.

Ha. No.

95vwsport
95vwsport None
7/19/09 8:09 p.m.

Sweet, I also picked up a 95 Golf. Purchase price of $950. It has given me a 1 1/2 year of faithful and fun service. A few basic mods and 190,XXX + miles and running great. I will follow this pretty close.

I even have the original window sticker!

HareBrained
HareBrained None
7/20/09 1:34 p.m.

I owned a '95 Sport from 1/95-7/99. Are you sure it's only 2400lbs? It sure drove like it was 3400lbs.

Actually, I loved the handling and the stock, gut-less 2L required it be thrown around. It's a "momentum" car. The valves and runners in the 8V head are really small and a higher lift cam allows the air to move better (knew someone who installed a cam in his frog-green Sport). Not really sure how to extract more power from this motor because I never tried.

Note that he stock exhaust runs across the car under the rear seats and the OE cat tends to rust at the exit. If that's ever been broken, it will have boiled the brake fluid in the line to the rears. I realize replacing the fluid will be on the list but you will want to inspect the system closer not knowing the extent of damage should it have happened.

As with most watercooled VWs, there is an underdash brace running across the car, and the lower part of the visible dash is a pad. I found this with my knees and shins on several occasions. It may have been the way I sat but don't be surprise if you find yourself wanting to perform a little surgury to ensure the pedal are pushed every time you desire to.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
7/20/09 2:32 p.m.

Yep, I owned/autocrossed a very similar car (within 160 numbers on VIN) when they were new as well. It came with the same no-sunroof body. It was 2390 in autocross trim. There are plenty of chips/intakes/exhausts for these engines. I'd actually like to find a 97-98 TDI and swap the entire engine in.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
7/23/09 7:07 p.m.

1995 Golf != rust free

And don't try and convince me otherwise!

However, they are fun cars for sure.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
7/23/09 7:50 p.m.

Yep, the 95 is not rusty. There was a spot on the hatch, but the 94 actually had a non-rusty hatch so I swapped them over. The 94 also donated its bumpers, battery, sunvisors and a few other bits before I sold it this evening.

powersport6
powersport6
8/13/09 12:48 a.m.

been waiting for this i have a 95 4 door golf with 230,000 miles on it and its been good to me.i rear ended somone on the freeway, cought it on fire, and drove it on stage rally roads, and have had it air born more then once. by the way let me know if you want to hook me up with a pass side headlight ; )

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JzpXwwFVdFqNfwK960H4vLyleqQjiem0gpY4BrK28gQXC0csaiEA2XMFLrXISyYU