David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/21/16 3:31 p.m.

Ian Hart had a vision. He wanted to duplicate the AE86-generation Toyota Sprinter Trueno featured in "Initial D," the Japanese film, anime, manga and video game about a tofu delivery driver turned epic street racer. The driver's trusty steed? The "Legendary Eight-Six of Akina."

When Ian couldn't find a suitable Trueno for a fair price, he decided to put a …

Read the rest of the story

ihart00527
ihart00527 New Reader
9/23/16 8:18 a.m.

i had to print and blow this article up and frame it. it now sits next to my trophies. thank you again for the feature

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/23/16 10:00 a.m.

That's rad man! Nice hachi-roku.

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
9/23/16 10:10 a.m.

But the AE86 in Initial.D was always naturally aspirated, even when it got its race engine? The AE85, on the other hand....

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/23/16 10:57 a.m.
Kylini wrote: But the AE86 in Initial.D was always naturally aspirated, even when it got its race engine? The AE85, on the other hand....

Maybe he's going for Wataru's ae86 levin?

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
9/23/16 12:14 p.m.

Thats a badass FR-S.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/23/16 2:19 p.m.

Nice! I like it. I may have to read up on those intake spacers. In what part of the rev range do they change the the powerband?

Kylini, as a car geek it is easy to get hung up on the mechanical details of the the AE86 in story. As an AE86 owner I fell into the trap of "InitialD vindicates the AE86 as the greatest car ever!" In the end, I feel the more important storyline of InitialD is about the growth and development of a driver and his car, and how seat time and tuning are much bigger factors than which car you start with.

DocV
DocV New Reader
9/23/16 4:24 p.m.

That is an awesome 86. Much want.

I still want an original GT-S though. The car is now larger than life and Toyota knows it. I wish Toyota would do what Nissan did in the 90's with the 240z and round up enough AE86's to refurbish. The sound of a screaming 4AGE haunts my dreams.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/23/16 4:31 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: Nice! I like it. I may have to read up on those intake spacers. In what part of the rev range do they change the the powerband? Kylini, as a car geek it is easy to get hung up on the mechanical details of the the AE86 in story. As an AE86 owner I fell into the trap of "InitialD vindicates the AE86 as the greatest car ever!" In the end, I feel the more important storyline of InitialD is about the growth and development of a driver and his car, and how seat time and tuning are much bigger factors than which car you start with.

Don't bother with the intake spacers, with a tune they don't provide any benefit other than shifting the power peak about 500rpm to the left.

The info is all over the ft86forum.com

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/23/16 5:51 p.m.
DocV wrote: That is an awesome 86. Much want. I still want an original GT-S though. The car is now larger than life and Toyota knows it. I wish Toyota would do what Nissan did in the 90's with the 240z and round up enough AE86's to refurbish. The sound of a screaming 4AGE haunts my dreams.

They already did this. Only in Japan though. It was decade/s ago. I can't remember what they called them but it was a TRD refurb car. Kinda like what nismo did with those r34's in 2001,2,&3.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bd2B3J6A3hn7Y2HZghmeG4VwRJodiX3uYJBGoBr4GkxEhnpD9itDv0kJNQzNKIpV