1 2 3
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
11/10/16 6:50 a.m.

I was just reading this article about a million mile Porsche 356 and it go me thinking, what would I want to drive a million miles in? And that naturally made me wonder, what would you guys like to drive a million miles in?
Assuming I drive about 30k miles a year it would take me 33 years, or until my early 70's. It would have to be special, easily repairable, and have a big enough aftermarket that I could occasionally change things up and not get bored. Being me, I'd like to track and autocross it some because that's part of what I like about cars.
I'm torn between a Mustang/Camaro or a Corvette right now. I feel like the Corvette would have to stay home for things like driving to Alaska but you could probably downsize brakes and upside sidewall and make it work. A Mustang would allow you to tinker with it constantly for 30 years and never run out of new parts to try. Hmmmmm.......

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
11/10/16 6:54 a.m.

Something with heated seats.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
11/10/16 6:56 a.m.

Something berkeleying insane, if I'm going a million miles I want to feel like a hero for doing it. Lotus 7 would fit the bill.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
11/10/16 6:59 a.m.

Something with good seats and a functioning AC.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/10/16 7:01 a.m.

Brock Yates says you're wrong about the Corvette going to Alaska.

Northwest Passage

There was a redo later:

The Road to Remorses, The Road to Divorces

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/10/16 7:06 a.m.

My Avalanche had the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Sadly i think it would have needed several drivetrain replacements to get anywhere near there

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
11/10/16 7:10 a.m.

In reply to Mike:

I remember reading that in an actual print copy od the magazine, which is one reason the Corvette was so high on my list. I still thinks Mustang would be better for that sort of trip.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
11/10/16 7:33 a.m.

Corvette

tjbell
tjbell Reader
11/10/16 7:42 a.m.

Saab 9000 Aero.

Might not be the most common choice due to parts availability but they are super comfortable, can make easy power, and are stupid reliable

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/10/16 7:44 a.m.

Think about it. If you have to drive 1,000,000 miles use this, that way you will live forever

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/10/16 7:47 a.m.

My choice would be the car that has passed the million mile mark three times: Volvo 1800. I prefer the ES wagon version. And while most owners love the OE seats in the ES, I don't care for them at all, so I've been looking for a set of mid 90's Volvo 850 seats, which are sublime.

I'm almost 1/3 of the way there with my 2003 TDi. Once I get it back on the road, I'm hoping to get to at least a half-million with it. Preferably still on the original clutch.

Mike wrote:

I now have this incredible urge to buy a C5 and rally-cross it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/10/16 7:50 a.m.

What would I want to do it in? 427 Cobra.

What would most likely make it? 22R powered Toyota pickup.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
11/10/16 7:56 a.m.

I think a truck would be easier and also allow a lot of parts in the future.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
11/10/16 8:01 a.m.

A lot of guys do it in these with some regularity.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/16 8:01 a.m.

Probably my 2015 4door silverado.

Comfy as berk.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
11/10/16 8:02 a.m.

Since I live in Michigan, it'd have to be an Alfa 4C. Everything else under $100k has a metal body structure and will return to its oxide form in that lifespan.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
11/10/16 8:04 a.m.

Lexus IS250 or IS 350. Toyota reliable, comfortable, not bad looking for a sedan.

Probably not as good as the original LS 400, but it is 20 years newer....

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/10/16 8:05 a.m.

Something big, comfy, and German. That 400,000 mile Merc we talked about a couple weeks ago comes to mind.

NickD
NickD Dork
11/10/16 8:13 a.m.

A million miles in the same car? Boy, I don't know if I could manage that without going insane, but I think the Hellcat Challenger would be the likely tool for the job. Big, comfortable, handsome and mass-produced 707hp

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/10/16 8:15 a.m.

It might not be the most comfortable thing in the world for it, but a bunch of Subies have entered the million mile club, according to old commercials at least.

Aftermarket and play are definitely there, be it on or off road play(Australian hi/lo transfer cases anyone?), fairly easy to work on, cheap, and fuel efficient. And turbo noises.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/10/16 8:15 a.m.

my 2 votes:

• CTS-V Wagon...comfy, spacious, good-enough aftermarket, and a head turner
  • G37 Sedan...VQ37, 6mt, refined, small enough to be easy to drive in the city, but enough room for 4 adults if need be. I wish the AWD variant was available with 3 pedals, but Mick says you cant always get what you want...
qued
qued New Reader
11/10/16 8:16 a.m.

If you planning on doing a million miles I would be thinking of fuel economy. At 30 mpg your talking about 30,000 gallons. Looking forward over ten years to do this, if fuel averages $8-10 a gallon that is alot of money.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/10/16 8:23 a.m.

Right now I think the answer for me would be a 911, but not the one i own. I'm pretty sure i've seen proof of 911s crossing every kind of terrain that's even vaguely appealing to me, and the cars themselves seems to be great mix of specialness and normalcy that would allow me to dip my toes in the water of all sorts of automotive disciplines with the same car and still just 'use' it as a pure conveyance at times without hating it.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/10/16 9:03 a.m.

Fun question.
As I sit here in the car writing on my phone I can assure you that the answer is not '00 Chevy Impala in complete basic trim. Sure, it gets the job done but 33 years would be hell.

I see that this could be answered speculatively thinking of what to buy today and take forward. I'm thinking of it retrospectively. What car from 33 years ago (1984 model year) would I still want to be driving today?

I also think back through my own past vehicles and wonder which I could stand to still be driving.
I also have to make the assumption that maintenance, repair and rust remediation would have to be a non-factor.

In my own fleet it would be my past '95 Volvo 850 wagon, manual trans. A great all around car. To improve on that, I might go a manual trans'ed, turbo Volvo 740 wagon. Figure if was a 1988 model then I would still have to drive it for another 4 years.
I assure you that by now it would have a 5.0 engine and a full ipd catalog of suspension.

Another choice that I would still be proud to be seen in... The original, black '88 M5.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
11/10/16 9:07 a.m.

I will toss out a picture of the master at this game...3 million miles and counting

I agree with Irvs choice of car; small, sporty and comfortable. Honestly, I could do this quite happily in the FRS since the chassis is the most engaging I have ever driven, but I don't think the FRS was built for the long haul. Maybe the Molvo, with the cockroach Miata underpinnings and low-stressed 302 will be the answer cause it is going to be my last project car!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eiFCOwhic6i7HPCtJpgZRrnCe0XEYSLSVUY4cdPfUF1QZYFprdXFcII16HexvrMc