1 2
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/18 4:34 p.m.

What exactly does "low slung " mean to you? 

Civics are too low slung but no cuv/suv. I would recommend a 1 series with a 6speed but i feel like you'd consider it low slung or unreliable. I'm not gonna even say my true suggestion (P-car 987.1 Cayman S lol or something AMG). 

So, what mpg's are you looking for? 

Body style? 

Roof height? 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/14/18 4:39 p.m.

Really depends on the era of Civic. My 1991 was a low slung car by modern definitions, especially when it was lowered. More modern ones have a seating position that is much higher. It's all relative of course as one man's too low is another's 4x4 height. 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
5/14/18 5:08 p.m.

$22k....that gets you a late model (2-4 years old) or new FoST, WRX, Mazda3, BRZ/FRS, Accord, Civic Si, BMW 128, BMW 328, VW GTI, and a host of other cars that I would consider to be at least "reasonably" fun if not "a lot of fun," most of which are available with three pedals to boot....

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
5/14/18 5:10 p.m.
pinchvalve said:
Carsandbikes said:

Also considered the Fiesta, ST and non ST.  Living in the sticks, fuel economy is important.  STRONGLY considering a Fiesta S and with the money saved over the ST, make wheel/tire/suspension mods. 

No, no no.  Buy the ST, it's so capable in stock form that you won't need to do anything.  On any other model, you will have to lower it to make it handle. If you are going to be using it on gravel roads, just add Rally Armor Flaps and some decent gravel tires.  

add in fuel tank protection. I've seen at least two Fiesta stage rally cars burned to the ground, including Team O'Neil's rental Fiesta last year at STPR....

parker
parker Reader
5/15/18 8:55 a.m.

How bad are your roads?  You're in Florida, so no rocks.  I live a mile down a horrible dirt road and have no problems in the FR-S.  

Snrub
Snrub Reader
5/15/18 9:56 a.m.
Carsandbikes said:

I've been passed on the street by a turbo 4 cylinder Camaro.  A Camaro should NOT sound like that at speed. 

Consider the V6 Camaro then. It's quite possibly the best sounding V6 on the market and makes 335hp. Initial buy in cost is slightly higher, but they take 87 octane (I'm unaware of a higher HP/L on 87), so running costs are lower than the I4 (in most places). The seating position is comfortable and the ride quality and handling is surprisingly good on the more base trims. I'm a big fan, they are terrific cars.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/15/18 10:11 a.m.

I think it's funny that you call central Florida "the sticks".  Here's typical daily traffic on I-4 (Orlando):

Makes me glad I live in Melbourne.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/15/18 10:48 a.m.
jstein77 said:

I think it's funny that you call central Florida "the sticks".  Here's typical daily traffic on I-4 (Orlando):

Makes me glad I live in Melbourne.

That can't be right. It looks like the cars are all moving. 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
5/15/18 11:13 a.m.

I can vouch for the Fiesta ST as a very fun, reliable (after 10k miles) daily driver.  I just spent a month and 5200k miles driving around the country at speeds up to 80 MPH with some urban driving thrown in (downtown Austin) and it was great.  The Recaro seats are wonderful on a long trip if they fit you.  Test drive before deciding.  My average fuel mileage for that trip was 34 MPG, so not bad at all considering I was lead footing it some of the time.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
5/15/18 12:20 p.m.

I just bought one and I'll throw in another vote for Fiesta ST. It's a laugh all the time. 

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
5/15/18 1:01 p.m.

I just bought a certified used Fiesta ST with 5k miles on it in Central FL for $14,900.  Certified used have the same warranty as a new one with a couple extra years and miles tacked on.   Highly recommend this choice great car and lots of Focus/Fiesta ST events in central FL.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Dork
5/15/18 1:34 p.m.

Fiat 500 Abarth! They're light, tossable, and  awesome exhaust note.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
5/15/18 2:10 p.m.

Fiesta ST is the most hilarious car I’ve ever driven.  I want to drive one again and see how much adjustment is in the seat  (To me it felt like the seat was about 2” too high) but am afraid if I do I’ll buy one.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
5/15/18 9:26 p.m.

Not sure if you want anymore random suggestions but I'm going to suggest 3.7 liter S197 Mustang. Yes it's because I've been thinking about them randomly lately too, much like the HHR.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
5/15/18 9:47 p.m.

We love out FiSTed. It’s seriosuly fun. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
5/16/18 5:17 a.m.
Daylan C said:

Not sure if you want anymore random suggestions but I'm going to suggest 3.7 liter S197 Mustang. Yes it's because I've been thinking about them randomly lately too, much like the HHR.

Driven some of those. They're pretty damn good.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
5/16/18 11:30 a.m.

As the owner of a 80 Fiesta (bought new) I am glad to hear from actual owners of the newer ST. 

For those folks who said that I should have narrowed down the scope of my search:

I purposely wanted to hear any and all suggestions....no matter how "out there".  There have been a few interesting suggestions.  I did consider a V6 Camaro, though I am a bit disturbed by comments I've read about the tiny rear/side windows.   And then trying to find a lightly used one...  As a fan of Ford products, I would lean more towards a Mustang than the Camaro if it came down to those two cars. 

I don't wish to join "the masses" piloting an SUV or CUV but have to admit that I probably should be looking at them. 

When I said "the sticks of central Florida" I meant NORTH of Melbourne by about an hour or west of Gainesville.

Fitz
Fitz GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/16/18 1:07 p.m.

Try a Cadillac ATS. It's built on the same platform as the Camaro but nicer inside with better visibility everywhere. Can even get a manual trans on the 2.0T and AWD is available as well. A V6 sedan might be my next daily, had one as a rental recently and really liked it.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/16/18 1:15 p.m.

"Low slung?"  - My wife was riding with me in my Miata and as usual complaining about how low to the ground the car is,how small it is, etc.  

Then, out of the blue, a MG Midget pulled up next to us at the stoplight. 

She was looking down at this noticeably smaller car.  Changed her perspective.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/16/18 7:56 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OlgjHOtlMGwpj508kip3BIHBApVDLUlWOjqPgorAAGDHyWQ8O1fVFiZxnassaove