Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/7/20 3:56 p.m.
feature_image

A general rule of thumb says not to buy someone else's project. User dherr ignored that advice by picking up a 1986 Toyota MR2 whose previous owner was in the middle of swapping in a V6 from a Camry. dherr's original project idea was to build a Honda K-series swapped Fiat X1/9, but after not being able to find a suitable donor car (rust-free examples …

Read the rest of the story

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/20 8:44 a.m.

I have worked on a bunch of these as we use to race them.  A fantastic platform!!!

This however made me cringe.  These are tie downs used in shipping and not made for lifting the car.  Please be carful. 

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
5/8/20 6:13 p.m.
dean1484 said:

This however made me cringe.  These are tie downs used in shipping and not made for lifting the car.  Please be carful. 

And that aluminum quick-link is probably not rated for that load.  Because the chain is at a ~45degree "V," the loads are about double the weight lifted.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/20 8:34 a.m.

No worries, the chain and links are steel, not aluminum. The idea to lift the body from the bumper support came from researching how others were doing it, I know that may not be a good way to learn or the best method, but the body is much lighter without the engine/transmission and it lifts easily with the engine crane. I'll be careful when it is all assembled.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/9/20 8:42 a.m.

Warning: Good natured opinion inbound:

I have a hard time jiving with a first gen MR2 being the next best thing to an X1/9. 

The sexy Italian style is great, but the 80s robotastic MR2 is a chiseled beauty in its own way. Handling by Lotus speaks loudly of its inner beauty, as well. Fantastic project.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/11/20 12:25 p.m.

Following. This car and drivetrain is *so* clean

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jmMXUznAFAcwncg4Ox7jLZqNvfL9se6APZRs9HzBYz02jf3fNZ4bdI9v5kSuNxQv