Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/1/20 8:17 a.m.
feature_image

It's not easy to admit that your restoration needs a refresh, but that is exactly what user dherr has decided with this supercharged, Rover V8-powered Triupmph TR4A.

dherr has already made a lot of progress on the rear suspension, and plans to eventually update the engine and transmission mounts, rewire the alternator, paint the engine bay, and replace the now-expensive surrey top with a …

Read the rest of the story

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/1/20 4:12 p.m.

Thanks for picking it up, the car has a history with a supercharger, but with the Rover V8, it is not supercharged, but with 225 HP and a weight of 1950 pounds, it still manages to perform decently smiley

johnstydo
johnstydo New Reader
4/1/20 5:18 p.m.

I'd like to know if you hear the clunking in the halfshaft and outer hubs that seems to be a common problem with the TR IRS design.  

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/1/20 8:13 p.m.

I'll be watching closely. Started on my own TR4 (live-axle) build.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/2/20 9:44 a.m.

In reply to johnstydo :

I believe the clunking is due to the sliding shafts in the TR IRS. They are known to stick and then release when you let off of the throttle. In my case, everything is new (drive shafts and hubs rebuilt), greased up and the differential and semi-trailing arms all fixed with Good Parts recommended Nylatron bushings so there is no free play in the system so I suspect it will be much tighter and controlled over the rubber used with the stock suspension pieces. Stock the diff and trailing arms each can move around, contributing to the condition. 

johnstydo
johnstydo New Reader
4/6/20 6:51 a.m.

I'm also running the Toyota front calipers and larger bore rear wheel cylinders in my TR6.  I noticed a lower pedal due to the increased volume of fluid required to fill the piston volume.  Looking for a larger bore master cylinder.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
4/6/20 7:25 a.m.

In reply to johnstydo :

Will be curious what you find as I have been looking for the same. There should be a Wilwood master that would work, but do share if you find something that works.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
4/6/20 10:18 a.m.

My friend's who raced TR-6 replaced the half shafts with (IIRC) Datsun parts that weren't prone to the spline seize.

They said it was decidedly unsettling when the spline seize happened in the middle of a hard corner on the track...

If you are a V8 acolyte, I assume that you will restore it with the original engine, otherwise a more modern option offers some advantages (I have seen one with an LNF Ecotec 4 cylinder tuned for just under 500 bhp - I'd say it gave 'spritely' performance but that's the wrong marque...)

dherr (Forum Supporter)
4/6/20 10:57 a.m.

Yes, have hear of the Datsun half shafts, but Good Parts has new bolt-in CV axles, that are ideal if I need them in the future.

The V8 is staying as it works well, weighs less than the original engine and sounds perfect for the car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wUWRZlwCm6JF9m02OfCtdLJzhCvZh32SnPhVals2rKQVyjqgMtU9ElwwubHFqQek