Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
2/7/18 10:07 a.m.
feature_image

Lotus Europas are infamous on our message board. Why? They're widely recognized as foolhardy projects that can never be finished. Somehow it seems that Europa projects never seem to meet any kind of end except for raised hands and a classified ad.

But forum member Brotus7 is out to challenge that status quo. He bought this 1971 Lotus Europa with …

Read the rest of the story

architect7779
architect7779 New Reader
2/7/18 2:23 p.m.

I applaud the huge task you've taken on!  I've always liked the looks of the Europa, and it's great to see one coming back to life.  My S2 - owned for 42 years now has been mildly modified over the years - cross-flow fuel inject engine, rewired, lowered, wart removal.......It's a joy to drive and moving back to narrow tires on 13" cosmic mags from the offset 15" wheels improved the handling.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
2/7/18 6:21 p.m.

Thanks for the nod.

If you squint, you'll see the siblings have locked eyes in the pictures.  Europa is sizing up the Seven.  The race is on!

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
5/6/18 7:35 a.m.

This car drips of coolness. High five for working on it the driveway.

I think that photo of the body of the car on workhorses - woodblocks - and jackstands in the driveway  should be on the front cover of GRM as "Built It Yourself"

wspohn
wspohn Dork
5/6/18 2:40 p.m.

VW power??  For shame.  Turbo Ecotec!  Just need to find a transaxle that will take 400 ft-lbs.

djsilver
djsilver Reader
5/6/18 8:49 p.m.

He's starting out right.  Lift the body up, toss everything under it, build a new frame with proper bracing and suspension, add a drivetrain, then drop the body back on.  They are lovely to look at!

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
5/6/18 9:06 p.m.
djsilver said:

He's starting out right.  Lift the body up, toss everything under it, build a new frame with proper bracing and suspension, add a drivetrain, then drop the body back on.  They are lovely to look at!

I'm not so sure I'd call my approach right devil

didget69
didget69 New Reader
5/9/18 6:49 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vE6TAJ56PREsVjmf9iswFJeLV3pLZG8mhNisOB2VOlA7d5JqjMz5uJiRZ4SKEQNH