1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/12 7:48 a.m.

considering that is about half their value new?

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/30/12 8:04 a.m.

I'd rock that.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/12 8:11 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: 78 yugo gv $1800 http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/3434159778.html $1800? Seems crack pipe pricing

ok.. how did that survive mass winters?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
12/30/12 11:58 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: 78 yugo gv $1800 http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/3434159778.html $1800? Seems crack pipe pricing
ok.. how did that survive mass winters?

3rd car kept at summer house? They didn't really rust any worse than any other imported subcompact hatch of the time, they were galvanized, PVC undercoated and cavity oiled. Mine has certainly seen several and most of the rust is from designs flaws, not salt.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/2/13 8:36 a.m.

Not really. For a nice looking Yugo that seems about right. Yugo prices have only been going up.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/19/13 8:43 p.m.

Looks like it sold for $11,000. Was it that much new?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=722&aid=466

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/19/13 9:03 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Looks like it sold for $11,000. Was it that much new? http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=722&aid=466

Honestly for what good examples sell for someone got a reasonable deal. They didn't steal it but they didn't overpay either. If I had the scratch to burn I'd have paid it.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/19/13 11:32 p.m.

There is a yugo on cl in Michigan for $4k with insanely low mileage.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/20/13 1:36 p.m.
EvanB wrote: There is a yugo on cl in Michigan for $4k with insanely low mileage.

Hard top I assume? The tin tops still aren't worth that kind of money IMHO, but if it's a cabrio let me know, I'll take a trip :)

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/13 1:52 p.m.

Yea hardtop. Guess it is only $3k now that I checked the ad, but they say estimated value is $8000.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3507710443.html

Avenger280
Avenger280
1/28/13 9:05 a.m.

One can only hope that the Barrett-Jackson people kept their sense of humor and brought the Yugo onto the block in its natural habitat - behind a tow truck

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/28/13 11:29 a.m.
Avenger280 wrote: One can only hope that the Barrett-Jackson people kept their sense of humor and brought the Yugo onto the block in its natural habitat - behind a tow truck

Mine got to ride the flatbed!

photo IMG_4810.jpg

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
1/28/13 12:38 p.m.
andrave wrote: I also like the movie they made about them, 2 yugo, 2 furious.

Should've been 2 Yugo, 1 Running.

Vas911
Vas911
1/16/19 1:24 p.m.

Any Yugo Cabrios still around ? 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/16/19 1:37 p.m.
mad_machine said:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I've only got one, but it gets driven about as often as you would expect a beat up Italian car built by communists to get driven.

I nominate this for Say What

You either do not want the quote to ever show up in "Say What" or you don't know the first rule of "Say What".

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/16/19 2:02 p.m.
Vas911 said:

Any Yugo Cabrios still around ? 

What generally happens when a six year old thread is revived is that people totally ignore the latest post and carry on with the original topic as though nothing ever happened.  I would suggest starting a separate discussion with the title "want to buy Yugo Cabrio", it may get more traction.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
1/16/19 3:27 p.m.

The title of this thread is madness.

If you'd told me that "Yugo" and "Barret Jackson" would ever be used in a sentence that didn't include the word "never" I'd have told you to put down the crack pipe. 

Crack pipe being an apropos reference, since both of these US disasters appeared in the 1980s...

_
_ Reader
1/16/19 3:58 p.m.

I met a guy at the parking lot of a drag strip who drove in with a yugo. I made small talk and (young adolescent me) scoffed at the little car. I joked “I can’t believe it made it here, let me know if you need a ride home!”  

Later, in the drag lane next to me, was that very bright red Yugo. He walked me. Like I was on jack stands. 

Embarrassed and “ember assed”, I went to the pits to see what was in this mystical car from another galaxy. The old guy grinned, popped the hood, and showed me a turbo b18. Keep in mind, I was in a stock turbo RB powered s13, running 14’s (that was fast back then) 

(I’m still a little ember assed)

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/16/19 4:21 p.m.

Holy Berk, who brought this thread back from the dead?

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/19 6:14 p.m.

I have one Yugo story.  I once came within inches of hitting a deer in the Adirondack mountains, late at night, while towing a Yugo on a car dolly with a Lincoln Town Car.  I was the one towing the Yugo, not the deer.  Although, the story would have been only slightly sillier if the deer had been the one doing the towing. 

My truck was apart for some reason or another, A friend of my wife who lived in the Adirondack mountains, about an hour and a half away from where I lived at the time had a Yugo in need of a transmission repair.  I had a shop and the ability to repair transmissions as well as a friend with a car dolly and another with a Lincoln that for some reason was equipped with a trailer hitch.  So, naturally the Lincoln owner, the car dolly owner and I headed off into the mountains one night after work to collect the broken Yugo and bring it back to my shop.

It turned out that whatever failed in the transmission not only made it so that the Yugo wouldn't move under its own power it also made it so that it didn't roll very well. After an hour or so of pushing, prying and winching we finally got it on the dolly and strapped in place. 

Car Dolly Owner managed to tweak something in his back during the Yugo wrestling match and elected to stretch out on the Lincoln's large back seat for the ride home.  Lincoln Owner had a well documented propensity for falling asleep in moving vehicles even when he was supposed to be operating them so in a two to one vote I was elected to drive.  It turns out that Lincoln Town Cars make pretty good tow pigs (at least for Yugos) and the car dolly's surge brakes made the combination fairly confidence inspiring.  Before long I was hustling that big car through the twisties with enthusiasm, the Yugo trailing along incongruously. 

Accelerating out of a fast left hand sweeper onto a long down hill straight I picked out a shadow in the road that seemed out of place.  As I rolled out of the throttle the shadow turned its head so that the headlights reflected off its eyes.  A precautionary roll out of the throttle quickly became  full on threshold braking, the Lincoln standing on its nose twitching left and right as the tires fought for grip..  Lincoln Owner snapped awake and made some sort of concerned noise, no doubt picturing Bambi joining him in the front seat.  The heavy braking rolled Car Dolly Owner off the back seat and into the back of mine which messed up my efforts to keep the tires delicately balanced on the edge of lockup.  The rear tires locked allowing the Yugo laden car dolly to push the back of the Lincoln around to the right.  As Lincoln Owner tried to shrink into the front passenger seat and Car Dolly Owner thrashed around trying to crawl back up onto the back seat I released the brakes, eased the wheel to the right to bring everything back more or less into a straight line and jumped on the brakes again.  Meanwhile, the shadow with the reflective eyes morphed into a giant buck standing dead in the middle of the road attempting to stare down the rapidly approaching Lincoln.  I once again locked the rear tires and the Lincoln slid the last twenty feet or so before coming to a stop in a swirl of tire smoke about six inches from the buck.  The buck stood there a moment, shook his head as if confused by the Lincoln Yugo combination that had dared  threaten him and then, with one giant leap disappeared into the woods leaving the Lincoln sitting slightly sideways in the middle of the road. 

As the smell of overheated brakes and rubber smoke faded Car Dolly Owner manged to claw his way back onto the back seat. 

"Deer?" he asked.

"Yup" Lincoln Owner said. 

"Good thing the car dolly has surge brakes on it" Car Dolly Owner said. 

"Yup" I said as I eased my foot off the brake allowing the Lincoln to sedately roll ahead with the Yugo following meekly behind.

Vas911
Vas911 New Reader
1/17/19 10:31 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

looking to sell?  where you located?  i got parts  to restore one

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZEp8pz30DlQDO0FKcjD8u1H7Z0eMMkpPbgj9ThlviX74Gwt75Z3Jk8ExMvjCbBIQ