m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/08 8:45 a.m.

A good friend of mine once mentioned that the EFI Yugos had either a cam or crank sensor. Can anyone tell me more about their setup?

Has anyone seen a EFI Yugo in the junkyard lately? I'd be verily interested in the crank/cram sensor setup and the intake manifold/fuel rail, I really don't like the rubber hose fuel rail that is on my X1/9.

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/18/08 5:02 p.m.

It's had to find a darn Yugo in a junkyard!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
10/18/08 5:36 p.m.

i konw of two:)

m4ff3w
10/18/08 5:39 p.m.

Carkid..

You know of 2 Yugos or 2 EFI Yugos?

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/18/08 5:42 p.m.

as I understand it the yugo also had the injectors at a slightly different location which means you have to have the head cut to fit them there...

so basicly you have to go with the entire yugo top end... which isn't nessasarly a bad thing as it'll bump your c/r a good bit (.5-1 as i recall)... :) i figured megasquirt the fuel bits and keeping the stock dizzy would be the easiest way to go... but i had to get rid of my yugo and haven't found another in my price range (read darn near free) at least not yet...

that being said... i've only ever seen one yugo in a junkyard... they'd used it as the yard parts getter... cut off the back 1/2 of the car to make it into a mini truck of sorts... something they seem to do with LOTS of the cars that come into the yard that still run... and when they are done they just set em out to die... but that was years ago

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/18/08 5:43 p.m.

side note... you can get the parts from here... http://www.yugoparts.com/

all new and the prices reflect it... prob be cheaper to find a dead EFI car and snag it for parts

m4ff3w
10/18/08 8:58 p.m.

I can make the cuts needed. I do not want the Yugo head as bumping compression up will not make for a happy engine once the turbo goes on.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/18/08 10:09 p.m.

good reason :) either way you can look at the yugoparts link to see a brakedown of the parts and see whats up on the head... i'd say intake/injectors and the nessasary bits and go with the stock ignition... it'll open a lot more cam options... and the ignition is the expensive part as they don't match the old fiat parts...

m4ff3w
10/18/08 11:13 p.m.

I'm running MS, so I'm only looking for an easy way to mount a crank or cam sensor. Currently I'm using a Yugo ignition module running off the stock hall sensor in the dizzy.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
10/18/08 11:43 p.m.

Aside from what they used in "Nick and Noras infinate playlist" what are the odds of finding a yugo anywhere?

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/19/08 12:38 a.m.

if you are running stock it runs off the crank correct?... you could just remove the ignition bits from it and use it for the hall sensor and trigger a DIS setup right?... or could go with an edis trigger setup... i think the yugo EFI head had a hole in it and a slot in the cam to run the dizzy off the head (which if you had yo could run the sensor that way... but why not do it with the old dizzy bits as long as it's all there already...

neon... you can find em if you look hard enough... it seems to help if you know someone who owns one... they'll usually know someone else who's got one they'd sell sorta type thing...

did i mention i want another?... got my eyes on one... if i can come up with the money...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
10/19/08 12:39 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Carkid.. You know of 2 Yugos or 2 EFI Yugos?

One for sure EFI Yugo....i wanna buy it

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
10/19/08 8:40 a.m.

The EFI Yugos used a version of the Bosch Motronic system that had a 60-2 crank wheel with a VR sensor. It's similar to what Bosch built for Volvo and BMW. Although, oddly enough, it's the only time I've seen a Bosch system that used a 60-2 wheel with a MAP sensor instead of an air flow meter.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/19/08 2:08 p.m.

I've got 2 EFI Yugos in my yard.

MadScientistMatt is correct. Very correct.

m4ff3w
10/19/08 2:37 p.m.

SVreX...

Can ya hook a fellow GRM-er up for the crank sensor bits?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zU7Amkv4xkYL3adntXxaq1hiE0t1ufcibcwzG2Nem7zLIo3mmFnNwl9qESzFyZEf