1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/16/11 7:48 a.m.

Are there any forums that are in English that deal with Yugos?

Treb
Treb Reader
11/16/11 9:18 a.m.

Yahoo groups. And here.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
11/16/11 9:19 a.m.

mirafiori.com

A hangout for fiat owners. Open up Netscape 2.2 and pretend it is 1995 all over again.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
11/16/11 12:34 p.m.

what they said... there is a hodge podge of stuff around but none very active... still lots of good info to be found... thankfully they are stupid simple cars so there isn't a "trick" to most things like so many modern cars

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
11/16/11 12:55 p.m.

What would you like to know about Yugo's?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/16/11 1:02 p.m.
GVX19 wrote: What would you like to know about Yugo's?

Yeah, I think we've got the Yugo knowledge market cornered right here on GRM :)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/16/11 1:22 p.m.

I am probably going to get one. I figure it could use a basic tune up and timing belt change. I was wondering if all the Fiat/ Yugo engines used the same timing belt. And where was a good source for a number of parts like an air filter, oil filter, spark plugs, distributor rotor.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
11/16/11 1:41 p.m.

you'd be supprised at what you can get at your local 'O-vanced-zone...

but if you are looking for OEM http://www.yugoparts.com/

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
11/16/11 1:42 p.m.

Looks like all of that stuff is avaliable cheap via rockauto.

Midwest bayless, fiatplus, or the other fiat parts places charge more but with that you get expertise and the knowledge that you are helping keep an enthusiast run business going so they will be around to charge more for longer.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/16/11 3:14 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Are there any forums that are in English that deal with Yugos?

I thought Yugo owners only had support groups?

Sorry Johnny et. all....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/11 3:55 p.m.

yes.. the Yugo has been "adopted" into the Fiat Community. It's basically a rebodied fiat anyway.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
11/16/11 4:28 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: yes.. the Yugo has been "adopted" into the Fiat Community. It's basically a rebodied fiat anyway.

yup... also I think its partially because even Fiat owners need someone to pick on...

pretty sure when it comes to memories of crap quality cars yugo stands below Fiat, or 80's hyundis lol... I mean honestly... an eastern bloc car built around a 2 decade (at the time) fiat design... sounds scary to me :)

procker
procker Reader
11/16/11 4:59 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic: I know that Carkid1989 has some solid Yugo experience...I think that he has a binder of the engine swap and suspension set up we did to ours...fyi...

mad_machine
11/16/11 5:04 p.m.
donalson wrote:
mad_machine wrote: yes.. the Yugo has been "adopted" into the Fiat Community. It's basically a rebodied fiat anyway.
yup... also I think its partially because even Fiat owners need someone to pick on... pretty sure when it comes to memories of crap quality cars yugo stands below Fiat, or 80's hyundis lol... I mean honestly... an eastern bloc car built around a 2 decade (at the time) fiat design... sounds scary to me :)

I had an 88 Hyundai Excel. My first new car. Aside from normal maintance, a transmission that died at 150,000 miles, and rally damage.. it just would not stop running. Even with the mainshaft on the trans going, a broken crossmember (from a badly landed "yump", the car NEVER stranded me

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
11/16/11 5:16 p.m.

i was taught by the masterminds here: GVX19 and JTHW8. Did the 1.5/1.1 swap. I can help if i can. Its a fun project car i can tell ya that.

Looking, always looking for another yugo....

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/16/11 5:42 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: i was taught by the masterminds here: GVX19 and JTHW8. Did the 1.5/1.1 swap?

What compression ratio does that give? I guess it will run fine on 93 octane even with a cam.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/16/11 6:11 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
CarKid1989 wrote: i was taught by the masterminds here: GVX19 and JTHW8. Did the 1.5/1.1 swap?
What compression ratio does that give? I guess it will run fine on 93 octane even with a cam.

I ran a Fiat 128 with the Yugo head on regular pump gas as a DD for a long time, I think it only got the CR to like 9.8:1 if I remember right.

Cam....haahahahahahaha. Actually they are out there, but not common.

Your best bet for performance is megasquirt and a home brewed turbo.

But honestly my Yugo was a stock 1.3 with some exhaust work and a CAI. Plenty fast, all the time and energy went into suspension and bodywork to get 205s under it.

mad_machine
11/16/11 6:31 p.m.

I wonder of the Twin Cam from the Lancia Beta will fit?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/16/11 7:19 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I wonder of the Twin Cam from the Lancia Beta will fit?

Yes, its been done.

Also I wasnt joking about the V6 from an Alfa 164. I had both, side by side and did the measurments. Not a bolt in but it could be done, either up front or for much more fun as a mid engine assembly.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/16/11 7:27 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: Cam....haahahahahahaha. Actually they are out there, but not common.

I found one.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/11 7:30 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I wonder of the Twin Cam from the Lancia Beta will fit?

Not much different than putting that drivetrain into an X-1/9.

BTW, did anyone mention that the 5-speed axle shafts from an X-1/9 fit into the Chrysler FWD turbo inboard CV joints. You know jus' sayin....

mad_machine
11/16/11 7:43 p.m.

seems like dropping a Beta Twin Cam into it (with the proper intake, compression, and cams) would be as close as I could get to getting my hands on a Strada TC130

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/16/11 8:23 p.m.
turboswede wrote: BTW, did anyone mention that the 5-speed axle shafts from an X-1/9 fit into the Chrysler FWD turbo inboard CV joints. You know jus' sayin....

That's been done too. The car that comes to mind had a chrysler 2.2 turbo in the front and a 500 CI CADDY IN THE REAR.....wooohooooooooooooo

It was perhaps the definition of overkill and made my "widebody" Yugo look downright narrow

phillipmcdonald
phillipmcdonald
11/23/11 4:30 p.m.

Working on putting new bushings on the front suspension of my 88 Yugo GVL, is there any special proceedure or tool to get the control arm bushing into the arm? The bushing is bigger at both ends and larger than the hole it has to go into.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
11/23/11 5:40 p.m.

In reply to phillipmcdonald:

A pix would do this better but Ill try.

If the new bushing cam with a new spacer. Take it out. Now heat the bushing up with hot water. To make it EZ to work with. Now use some dish soap to lub the bushing. Now work it in place. Its not going to jump in but it will go.

Now for the hard part. Getting the bushing in place.

I use a 6" parts of 3/8 all thread,2 nuts and finder washer. Arrange the parts so that the all thread. Nut, Washer,Bushing (in the control arm) Spacer Nut.

Now use lots of dish soap in and on the bushing to lub. Fill the bushing and spacer. Now tighten the nuts until the bushing is flush with the washer.

Or you can try this. http://rides.webshots.com/album/563352962XSMNWx

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qIp6y9SUCQR0VCJLbvNyiBdRfw9s8fM88Rj1vDLOGX5HCEAxOXeKhDGkSwH1BFcm