1 2
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/17 7:05 p.m.

Which is the better choice all things else being equal? Reliability info would be nice as i would be driving 100 miles each way to rallycross it.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/17 7:10 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

The Duratec is generally considered to completely eclipse the Zetec performance, though I have no knowledge of it's durability. The Zetec is bulletproof though, especially in non-SVT form.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/19/17 7:48 p.m.

The duratec head is, apparently, a much better flowing head. Cosworth made parts for the duratec and FoMoCo is still putting them in cars.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/19/17 7:54 p.m.

If you can find a 2.3l Focus, it makes as much power as the SVT, but with more torque.  They only existed for a year or two, but drive nice.

Size for size, Duratecs significantly out-torque Zetecs, as well as the above mentioned.

MrChaos
12/19/17 7:58 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

it looks like it was an option on all focus' post 04.  But mostly a California option. or rather the pzev option that is really rare outside california

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 Reader
12/19/17 8:02 p.m.

Depends. Zetech foci are cheap. Really cheap. My 2000 cost me a whopping $350 when I bought it. Duratec cars are more expensive, but theoretically can be built to last at high HP levels. For ralltcross, anything over 250whp can't be put to the ground via rally tires, so building the motor for more than that is pointless. The only real weak point I've found on them have been CV axles and motor mounts, and the aftermarket parts to fix them aren't to expensive. Care needs to be taken, to ensure the exhaust can be routed above a skid plate. Skidplates are mandatory on foci to protect the oil pan and transmission. The rear suspension is a good design, but can be prone to bending under the abuse if rallycross, plating and reinforcement are recommended. I run a 2000 zx3 zetech in modified front wheel drive so ask away if you have more questions.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/19/17 8:04 p.m.
MrChaos said:

In reply to alfadriver :

it looks like it was an option on all focus' post 04.  But mostly a California option. or rather the pzev option that is really rare outside california

I will confirm that it's a PZEV only option.  But it still makes really good power.  Common in sedans, not so much in hatches.  BUT- manuals are out there.  

Not that rare- as there are a number of California states.  My parents had one, and they live in Idaho.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/17 8:29 p.m.

I never see any Zetec Focuses anymore.

GroupSects
GroupSects GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/19/17 8:54 p.m.

In green states (VT, CA, probably some others) the 2.3 was the only focus sold from 03-04. In 04 it was optional everywhere, but werent that common. I bought a 2.3 new in 04 in FL and there were I think 2 5spd ZX3 between Jax, Orlando, and Tampa. 05-07 they sold a ST trimmed Sedan with the 2.3/5spd thats usually fairly easy to find, but 06-07 has a different front suspension that makes finding shocks annoying. All focuses sold 05+ had at least the 2.0 Duratec. 

Duratec cars are pretty stout, I sold mine with 180k miles from new and the only things I had to replace that shouldn't have broken was the ignition cylinder, PCV Valve, and a vacuum solenoid. 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
12/19/17 10:10 p.m.

I never see them blow engines at rallycross, either of them. 

But I often see them break motor mounts and pull axles out. And by often I mean that every focus that ran with us this year had at least one DNF due to something breaking - usually chassis or suspension rather than driveline....or at least that's how it seemed.

Meanwhile, I can't recall any other types of cars regularly DNFing. I mean, a Subaru here and there - but there are a lot of subarus out there. 

Snrub
Snrub Reader
12/20/17 12:12 a.m.

It's amazing for how many cars there are issues with the wikipedia entries.  The Focus ST 2005+ made 151hp/154ftlbs with it's 2.3L duratec and I believe on 87 Octane.   I agree with above that all other Foci of this age range were 2.0L.  The SVT Focus had a 2.0L Zetec made 170hp at 7000rpm and 145ftlbs at 5500rpm on 91 octane.  The SVT Focus seemed kind of special to me at it's time, the ST less so in its...

STM317
STM317 Dork
12/20/17 5:08 a.m.

The Duratec should be lighter than the Zetec if that matters. I don't know if less weight on the drive wheels is a good thing or not for rallycross.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
12/20/17 9:58 a.m.

Also, from a longevity standpoint, the Duratec has a chain whereas the Zetec has a belt.

I've owned both, and the Duratec was definitely better.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
12/20/17 7:03 p.m.

The 2.3L Duratec was available in 2003 in CA and most of the NE as a PZEV engine(easy to get rid of the PZEV parts).  It was an option everywhere in 2004.  It was available in hatches and sedans in those years, in 2005 it was only in the ST sedan.

Having owned, worked on, and raced both Zetec and Duratec  Focuses, I would prefer the 2.3L Duratec over any of the other engine variations.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/20/17 7:49 p.m.

The PZEV Duratec motor was definitely 2.3 in 2003 in CA -- I owned one (a wagon), and a friend of mine owns one as well (a 4-door hatch).  The PZEV makes less power (stock) than the Zetec SVT, but a ton more torque.  It's a much better choice for an automatic than the Zetec motor.  Modified there's no contest, the Duratec will win out every time.

MrChaos
12/20/17 8:18 p.m.

going another direction just based on local availability and aftermarket.  I am leaning toward 6th gen and earlier Civic's.  There is a super clean 98 HX coupe with 320k miles in Atlanta that i would jump on if i had the money right now.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
12/20/17 8:30 p.m.

I was looking at scca rallyx national podiums for previous years last week. I think it went back 10 or 12 years. There was a LOT of civics on that list.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/31/17 7:19 p.m.

I can confirm that the cosworth intake manifold and cams will make 200HP on a 2.3L duratec. Add a quaiffe and you're ready. 

Knurled.
12/31/17 7:24 p.m.
TheRX7Project said:

Also, from a longevity standpoint, the Duratec has a chain whereas the Zetec has a belt.

I've owned both, and the Duratec was definitely better.

Zetecs are non interference so when the lower belt idler disintegrates, you can install a new belt and tensioner/idler pullies and it's well again.

Duratecs are interference.  WHEN you run them without oil pressure, the chain jumps and valves hit pistons.

Duratec is a better engine but if I had one, I'd do the mod to the timing chain tensioner where it is manually adjusted instead of relying on oil pressure, and shut up about it if running in Stock or Prepared.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/1/18 12:03 a.m.
Knurled. said:

Duratecs are interference.  WHEN you run them without oil pressure, the chain jumps and valves hit pistons.

Running most engines without oil pressure will produce a negative outcome.

Knurled.
1/1/18 5:13 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

You'd be surprised how often engines will lose oil pressure momentarily when out on course.  When you're bumping around under cornering and braking loads the oil pickup can get uncovered, and the oil that it is getting is all foamed up from being whipped by the crank due to aforementioned sloshing.  Ever notice cars come back in from a run with HLAs clattering like mad?  That's why.

Subarus are ESPECIALLY prone to sloshing the oil away from the pickup.  Is probably why they seem to be so enginey, especially in non-Stock classes where owners are allowed to "upgrade" the suspension so the car bounces all over the place instead of following the terrain.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/1/18 10:24 a.m.

some first gen Foci came with the 2.0L SPI.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
1/1/18 11:06 a.m.
iceracer said:

some first gen Foci came with the 2.0L SPI.

And you definitely don't want one of those.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/18 11:33 a.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k1JcryAoBXbFGLXid7YPJuJdpq5pAqBAWeFJMM7LskIJgXHwTWR4ftHrACiM6TYY