1 2
The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
9/21/16 10:46 a.m.

ZHP, hands down.

Far better to daily and you already have a track car.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
9/21/16 11:18 a.m.

Aaahhh! It seems as if the collective lean is towards the zhp but not by much!

It is really a tough call..... I never liked the e46's much until I saw these and didn't know why. In fact I'm a little embarrassed to say i hadn't heard of the zhp but man they look good!

Frankly I was hoping that everyone would say m3 as I already have it but I am going to have to have a serious talk with the picture car guy....

Usually stuff like this (that isn't already claimed by the higher-ups, like the two early 80's 911's on this show) goes for about $.50 on the $1. But rumor has it that they are going to want full retail.

If that happens, the decision is made.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
9/21/16 11:24 a.m.

Downside to the ZHP is no access to a LSD unless you put a M3 subframe in it.

At $4k if its clean, buy it, ship it, drive it, and then sell it for profit. I didn't know a true ZHP could be had that cheap. There is a semi cult following and they do normally command a premium from my research.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
9/21/16 11:32 a.m.
Thinkkker wrote: Downside to the ZHP is no access to a LSD unless you put a M3 subframe in it.

There are aftermarket LSDs for non-M E46s. They're just not cheap.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
9/21/16 1:26 p.m.

As an E36 M3 owner I have to go with it. Yes, the ZHP is a nice car and as a DD probably is a better car, however the M3 is just a much more visceral experience. The M3/4/5 is getting hard to find, good ones are appreciating in value.

I'd keep the M3...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/16 1:42 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: I could live up to the bimmerbro stereotype and say that the M3 was designed to be special....except for the US version. BUT...I love M3s for what they are, not the badge.

yes, the E36 M3 got a crappy engine, but the rest of the car is still the same as the rest of the world M3s (aside from safety and federalization issues) so yes, even the E36 M is designed to be special.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
9/21/16 6:39 p.m.
rslifkin wrote:
Thinkkker wrote: Downside to the ZHP is no access to a LSD unless you put a M3 subframe in it.
There are aftermarket LSDs for non-M E46s. They're just not cheap.

Yes you are correct. A m3 subframe may be cheaper though.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
9/21/16 8:56 p.m.

$4000 for a ZHP? Up here in the Bay Area, a normal Craigslist asking price seem to start at $8000. It looks like I should be shopping near you.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/21/16 8:58 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Tyler H wrote: I could live up to the bimmerbro stereotype and say that the M3 was designed to be special....except for the US version. BUT...I love M3s for what they are, not the badge.
yes, the E36 M3 got a crappy engine, but the rest of the car is still the same as the rest of the world M3s (aside from safety and federalization issues) so yes, even the E36 M is designed to be special.

There is nothing crappy about the S50/S52 at all. It's a great motor. It just wasn't as powerful as the euro cars got but it also didn't have 3 years of bearing issues and rods punching their way out thru the side... so there is that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IZC8edUNnkkRhHA1eggWqV7PLiAIIKLAs2haXi8W9dQ7J8kT7RRS1fEmxN7G0f6K