1 2 3 4
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/21 12:43 a.m.

Thoes are very kind words and I appreciate it. I truly enjoy getting these old steeds going and trying to reverse dozens of years of neglect and miscare. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/6/21 1:05 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

I feel like all used cars and bikes are like stray dogs.  I want to take them home, get them healthy, love them and be loved but then pass them on, rehabilitated so I can get the next one that I haven't yet experienced 

"But baby, I haven't owned an AWD ASTRO Van yet!"

"Big block lincolns need love too"

"It just needs a transmission, interior, paint and brakes, wanna come with me to see if we can get him down to $250 and then take the twisty back roads home?"

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
3/6/21 6:24 a.m.

I bought a cheap '94 Sportster about 8 years ago simply because I felt sorry for the thing. Sounds weird, but that was the reason. It was in bad shape and had at least 1K in idiotic after market parts slapped on it (these parts are long gone now). It's been a never ending project, but it least it runs and stops well enough at this point.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I'm terrible about it. I got one lines up from a family member, I just need to go get it. 

In reply to FMB42 :

The guys who "strip them down" and bolt on every aftermarket part are the worst offinders. 

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
3/6/21 7:15 a.m.

I agree. It took me quite awhile to find used OEM or OEM style replacements for much of the junk. About the only things left now are a 'fat bob' style fuel tank and a solo seat. However, a PO had used 2 different brands of fuel tank sealer that were peeling badly when I got it. Got that stuff out after spending many hours on it (it had leak at seem that I soldered up). I'd would of junked it and gone with a stock style tank but the problem with doing so is that the tank mounts a speedo and the warning lights. This, of course, would force me to find a replacement speedo and W lights that mount to the handle bar clamp.

3/10/21 6:25 p.m.

Oh the fun continues. Ordered the tires and valve stems all at once. The valve stems arrived a few days ago. Tires said they would be delivered today.

Saw the UPS guy scan a tire and a hunk of paper on the camera.  get a email before I leave work that both tires are delivered. I get home and there is just the rear tire there. Front label was there but no tire. Guess the front tire got nabbed or lost. Ordered another . 

The one tire that did show up should look super good. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/10/21 10:56 p.m.

I hope you don't have to pay for the second front tire

3/11/21 6:43 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I paied for it, ups on the phone said a refund for the tire is processing. 

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
3/11/21 7:33 a.m.

Hey Professor, what brand, model, and size are those tires? Looking forward to hearing what you think of them (especially once you've ran them for 500 miles or so). Thanks.

3/11/21 7:44 a.m.

In reply to FMB42 :

Kenda k761 100/90-19 and 130/90-16

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
3/11/21 1:48 p.m.

Thanks for that Professor. Kenda produces good tires, so you should be happy with those. I'm running a pair of Kenda tires on my track bicycle framed (dry conditions) cyclocross conversion (frame up build). Anyway, I almost went with a front K761 for my '19 Honda CMX 500, but found a slightly cheaper deal on a Metzler Lasertec. This tire has worked out very well for me.

Meanwhile, I too am glad to see you putting so much time and effort on your XJ. I haven't seen any XJs on the road in many years. Truly an underrated line of machines imo.

3/11/21 5:59 p.m.

In reply to FMB42 :

I appreciate it very much. It is cleaning up to be a nice rider. 

3/13/21 10:37 a.m.

Cleaned foro seals out  got all kinda of goo. 

3/14/21 3:28 p.m.

Friend of mine offered me a wad of cash for the bike, ended up selling for $1000 profit. Kept the tires I ordered since they will fit a bike I got coming in. 

Brian(formerly neon4891)
Brian(formerly neon4891) MegaDork
4/19/21 12:56 p.m.

Interesting. I'm looking at a a supposedly refreshed maxim 550 for $1500 if it isn't sold by the time my return gets in. 

4/19/21 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Brian(formerly neon4891) :

If you have any questions about one, let me know. I accumulated more knowledge than I'd like to admit. 

The 550 has been getting ridden a ton, he has put 1500 miles and some change on it. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4VFM3EE2sFaeM5dOGvvteNMdMf10SDwqxnoTLzMMBCJ3zE0qn04sNaKjvGVYqW4V