1 2
lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
6/28/19 9:34 p.m.

Mine. I’m the second owner, I’ve had it since 1999 and it currently has 28,022 miles. The bike has never been down, tank is perfect(no dents) and has been sitting in my basement or garage for the last 10 years. I decided to thin out the collection and offer up this one first. I trailered it to the shop, pulled the carb and airbox, cleaned the bowl & pilot jet, washed/waxed it, charged the really old battery, poured in some fresh gas and it fired right up! I love this bike but it’s time to go.

* I’ve done the following:

- removed the stock mirrors and installed a small bar-end mirror.

- removed the stock turn signals and replaced them with small aluminum units.

- removed the stock rear fender/taillight, installed a small LED taillight under the grabrail and built a lighted license plate relocator

- removed the stock exhaust system and replace it with a stainless steel SuperTrapp system.

- removed the air injection system and installed 2 block-off plates.

- installed a 15T front sprocket, 34T rear sprocket and Tsubaki o-ring chain.

- drilled out the 74 pilot jet and replaced the main with a 145.

* All stock parts included(rear fender not shown but I have it).

* The bike is not perfect, I’ve ridden it. To turn it into a show bike, the spokes/nipples would need to be polished, the lower fork legs would need to be refinished and the engine cases repainted. It’s a 30 year old bike but I wouldn’t hesitate jumping on it and riding it anywhere. I’ve done 4-hour trips one-way and it’s suprisingly comfortable. It’s not a touring bike, but it’s not torture to ride any distance. If you go to a bike night, be prepared! It gets more attention than bikes costing several times what this worth. 

Any way, here it is. Hopefully someone here is looking for a cool and collectible older Honda.

I plan to advertise it for $6000 but will put it here to fellow GRMers for $5100. Located in northeast PA.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/19 9:54 p.m.

I'm done with road bikes, but I've always loved these things.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/28/19 10:27 p.m.

Those were sweet little bikes, and having all the original parts makes it more desireable to a collector.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
6/29/19 9:08 a.m.

In 1989, I saw my first one of these in a showroom in Stroudsburg PA and fell in love. Unfortunately, I had just graduated from college and could not afford it. About a year and a half later I was in that same area of the Poconos and decided to swing by the dealership and see if by some chance it was still there. I had a few $$$ put away and might have been able to do it. I pulled up and to my dismay, the dealership was locked-up as they had gone out of business. DAMNIT! Oh well, life goes on.

Fast forward 10 years and I’m working as a parts and service manager at a Kawasaki/Suzuki/BMW/Ducati dealership. Lots of toys to look at, play with, ride and buy. I was having a good time until one fateful day. A Lockhart-Philips catalog came in the mail and during a bit of a break I sat and thumbed through it to see their new offerings. I turned a page and there was a picture of a GB! Those thoughts of 10 years ago were now back in my head and I knew this time I needed to have one. Since we weren’t a Honda dealership, the chances of one just so happening to ride in was pretty slim, so I called an old friend who worked at the Honda dealership across town. I asked him if he has ever seen one in for service or knew a customer who rode one. He was going to think about it and get back to me after after talking to the parts and service guys. A few days later, I get a call back with a name and phone number. 

Late one Saturday afternoon after work, I decide to call the number and see what happens. Jim answered the phone and we had a nice conversation for quite some time. I found out that he also rode a BMW R100RT but that the GB was never going anywhere. I asked him that if he was ever out riding up this way, swing by the dealership with it as I would love to see it. 

A week later on a Saturday, just before we were closing a gentleman comes into the dealership and goes to the owners office. I hear him ask, “who is Dan and where can I find him?”. This makes me a bit nervous sitting at my desk. What did I do? Who did I piss-off this time? Whose daughter did I say something inappropriate to? Whose bike did service screw-up? I had 20 seconds to get ready for whatever was about to come my way.......... The gentleman walked over and asked if I were Dan. Yes, I’m Dan, can I help you? He introduced himself as a Jim Collier and I immediately asked if he had the GB with him. He did and we walked out the side door to see it. There it was right in front of me!!! I was in love, but when I began to ask the question, he cut me off and said “NO”. We shook hands and I invited him to the dealership any time. If I couldn’t buy the bike, maybe we could gain a customer.

Over the following months, I see Jim several times. Each time, I begin to ask about the GB and he laughs, cuts me off and says “NO”. We always get a laugh about it, but you never know if you don’t ask.

Fast forward a few months and I get paged to a call about an hour after we closed. The woman on the phone introduced herself as Jim’s fiancée and informs me that Jim had passed away. After the shock wears off, I offer my condole and ask if there is anything that I can do. She informs me that she had been able to sell all of his other bikes, riding gear and motorcycle related items, but she still had one bike to get rid of. I assumed it would be the BMW, but she said that she still had the GB. She actually called the AMA Museum and wanted to donate it in Jim’s name, but they declined. So, she told me that the only person Jim ever talked about when discussing the GB was this guy named Dan at a dealership he visited. She didn’t know which dealership, so she made a few calls until she found me. I did not to want to come right out and ask if it were for sale, but offered to drive to their house and take a look at the bike and whatever was left. 

One evening after work, I jump in my truck and drive to meet her. We exchange a hug and she takes me to the basement of the house, not the garage. This one lived in the house! I take the sheet off the bike and there it is sitting right in front of me, a 1-owner, totally stock low-mileage GB. The only motorcycle that I’ve lusted over and never been able to own. I ask her what she wanted to do with it and to my surprise, she said that she needed to sell it. Without hesitation or even asking how much she wanted for it, I said that I would take it. She smiled and told me that the way Jim talked about this “Dan person”, that I was meant to own this bike. We again exchanged a hug and I told her I would be back tomorrow with a trailer. I left and drove home in total disbelief. I thought that it might go this way, but it could have easily been that she wanted it “tuned-up” or drained of its fluids so it could be stored. Luck was on my side for once. I also realized while driving home that we never discussed price! Didn’t matter, just having the opportunity to buy one was worth it. My 10+ year dream of owning a GB was coming true. The next day I hit the bank, hitched up the trailer and drove there after work. After arriving and exchanging another hug, she began laughing and told me that after I left she realized that we never discussed price. I told her that it was difficult for both of us that night and that we would arrive at a price that was acceptable to both of us or I would take it to our dealership, clean it up, put it on the showroom floor and sell it for her for what she wanted. After hearing that, she smiled and told me that the bike was mine and we would surely come to an agreement on a fair price. We did and I rolled the bike onto the trailer. I rolled MY BIKE onto the trailer!!! Unbelievable!

Sorry to bore you with the story, but there was a story behind this particular bike. I’ve owned 47 motorcycles/atv’s over the years, but this is the only one I’ve kept. I hate to sell it, but it’s been sitting basically unridden for many years. I’m not a collector and this bike deserves a better life than sitting in my basement. It needs to be ridden and shown off. It will be sad to see it go, but hopefully the next buyer will have a similar story and has always wanted one of these bikes. We shall see.

Thanks for reading.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/29/19 11:38 a.m.

What a great story.  yes

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/19 11:59 a.m.

That is a really nice story.

I was looking for one of these for about a year, I just could never find any and when I did it sold before I got there. Unfortunately I decided to buy a new bike after not having any luck. 

Its a very nice bike. 

I would put it back to stock and submit it to bring a trailer. 

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
6/29/19 12:07 p.m.

Thanks for reading.

While digging through the box of spare parts, I came across 2 pictures of Jim with the bike, a nice note that she had written and a copy of his obituary. 

Here is a picture “sitting on his bike” one last time. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/29/19 2:46 p.m.

Great story. Love this bike!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/2/19 12:03 a.m.

That is, was, and always will be one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
7/3/19 9:12 a.m.

New Interstate IB12A-B battery installed, changed the oil and filter and flushed the front brake fluid. It’s 100% ready for many more years of riding enjoyment. To cover these costs, $5100 and it’s yours.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/19 10:27 a.m.

I keep coming back to this thread to check if it sold already ... I should stop clicking on it. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/5/19 12:38 p.m.
Slippery said:

I keep coming back to this thread to check if it sold already ... I should stop clicking on it. 

Been doing the same here, daily 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
7/5/19 12:41 p.m.

Me threesmiley

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
7/5/19 2:08 p.m.

I put an ad up on CL for $6k and have had a few inquiries. 3 or 4 serious ones who know what it is, one who is coming this weekend to have a look and then there are the idiots. The idiots ask questions like, “where can I get a gas tank like that”, “if it’s a single cylinder, why are there 2 pipes”, “does it sound like a Harley” and of course, “how fast is it”?

I truly want the bike to go to a real enthusiast and heaven forbid, not some hipster who will cut it up.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/6/19 1:11 p.m.

Beautiful bike and great story. yes

Like the Hawk GT, Honda couldn't give these away when they were new, but they've become a real collector bike these days.  I always loved the look, but when I was younger, the performance just wasn't sufficient and other bikes won out.  One of the many bikes I'd love to own, if only I had unlimited space...

Good luck with the sale - I'm sure it will end up in the hands of a rider who will appreciate it!

Pearsonjr
Pearsonjr
7/17/19 6:11 p.m.

Amazing bike and great story! I'm very interested....located just outside of Philly. Is it still for sale?

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
7/18/19 4:08 p.m.

Yes, it’s still here. Email me at w650gb500-at-gmail-dot-com.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 9:45 a.m.

Did you ever sell this bike?

Not that I need another motorcycle, but there is space in my garage.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
8/28/19 8:51 p.m.

No, it’s still resting comfortably here in my garage at the house. I’m not in any great hurry to sell it, but if someone shows up with cash, it’s theirs. 

barrym
barrym
10/12/19 12:58 a.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 :

Do you still have the bike?? Maybe I will show up with the cash!!

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
10/12/19 9:18 a.m.

Still here in my garage. With the nice weather this weekend, I had plans to roll her out and go for a little fall foliage ride.

Im in Dallas, PA, zip 18612.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/22/19 8:42 p.m.

Fyi, one was just listed on Bring a Trailer. They usually do well there, might be an option to try and sell it. 

GB500 For Sale

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
10/22/19 11:21 p.m.

Honda really had its game on in 1989. Peak Bubble Economy. Hawk, GB, CB1, CBR750, CBX, Pacific Coast

you couldn't go wrong with any of those and everyone I know that had one loves em. I have two CBRs from the era and they're beasts 

einy
einy HalfDork
11/7/19 7:51 p.m.

In reply to cdeforrest :

You are making me badly miss my long departed Hawk GT ... 

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/13/19 7:03 a.m.

Does anyone have a really nice enclosed trailer to trade? I’m looking for one 18’-20’ x 8.5’ wide but it needs to be in REALLY, REALLY good condition. Traveling a few hours to make a trade isn’t a problem.

Thanks,

Dan

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OBpmTCzsHuzP9e1rj5Xo9jA598NAB1XnYrzfBTryd3lomNxC0mxJSa5h6oqJ9BdU