1 ... 5 6 7 8
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/23 7:14 a.m.
Gzwg said:

Ouch as well. But should a screen shatter like that? 
The one on my Kawasaki feels pretty soft..

Ducs don't fall over well.  My 939 Hypermotard's mirror cracked just riding down the road.  Just up and cracked.  I haven't dropped it but I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty.  OTOH, my BMW GS has been dropped at least half a dozen times with barely a scratch 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/17/23 10:35 a.m.

Buchanan has the hubs and are working up a quote now.  Lead time is about 2 weeks then return trip to me in MI of about another week.  After the DGR this weekend I'll pull the chrome plated steelies and  suspension for higher rate springs, new oil, and new seals.  Once I get the wheels back I'll install the new tires after the Outrex tubeless conversion kit.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/31/23 4:06 p.m.

Newly built wheels arrived today!   Unboxing tonight.  I had the sprocket carrier blasted and powder coated last week.   Need to install the new Cush drive pegs tonight.   Outex tubeless conversion kit arrives here Friday.  Once that's installed I'll get new tires mounted.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/31/23 6:56 p.m.

Looks promising!!!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/31/23 6:57 p.m.

They are gorgeous!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/31/23 6:59 p.m.

And beefy!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/23 7:12 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Niiiiiice!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/13/23 9:04 p.m.

I was waiting on some seals and finally got them so got to work today.  Tore off the rear wheel and weighed it.  This is chrome plated steel, worn out Michelin Road 4GT tire with tube: 

This is aluminum rim, stainless spokes, new Michelin Road6 (not GT) with tubeless conversion.  

I'm pleased with that weight reduction.  Front update tomorrow night.  I'm expecting 2 to 3 pounds off the front.   

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/15/23 2:39 p.m.

Less significant but still impactful reduction.  

9 pounds overall weight loss plus new rubber.  Nothing wrong with that!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/15/23 6:38 p.m.

I forgot to purchase balancing weights and I wasn't interested in stick on weights on these wheels.  I purchased a set of chrome plated brass weights that clamp on to the spokes from No-Mar and made a trip to Cycle Gear for balancing.  They charged me for balancing when the tires were mounted so today was drop in, balance them, take off!  Done while I waited!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/20/23 6:53 p.m.

First ride tonight.  I'll report back later.  

Marcootsee
Marcootsee None
10/6/23 11:22 a.m.

We're still waiting for your report :)

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
10/6/23 10:03 p.m.

It is a significant improvement in turn in, braking, and suspension performance.

10/7/23 11:48 p.m.
wawazat said:

It is a significant improvement in turn in, braking, and suspension performance.

And it looks cool AF

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
10/9/23 12:44 p.m.

^ what he said!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
2/21/24 1:31 p.m.

Well I proven to myself that I'm a wheel whore regardless of the vehicle.  I scored these cast aluminum Marchesini wheels locally for a good price.  They'll be polished and loaded with new bearings, bushings, tires and rotors this year.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/11/24 7:52 a.m.

I've gotten a few rides in already this year and have been able to hang out with some of my buddies in the local Ducati Owners Club.  Good times with friends are great for the soul.  I plan on a few more rides then, once the Cougar is off the lift, ripping off the suspension for spring replacement, new seals, and new oil.  

I continue to irrationally love this underpowered generic retro bike.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/12/24 2:28 p.m.

Another quick blast across town for a customer training session.  Perfect for this machine and better fuel MPG than my 6.2 Yukon DD.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/24/24 5:18 p.m.

Going to wrap up my 69 Cougar PS rack rebuild/reinstall and get it off the lift so I can tear out the suspension for rebuild.  Ohlins forks are leaking and need new oil plus springs more suited for the portly gentleman.  Rear shocks appear fine but will also get new springs and seals for this riding season.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/4/24 7:54 a.m.

The Sport Classic line from Ducati had a few short cuts taken by Ducati when designed/built and the GT100 as the lowest rung on the series ladder had the most short cuts notably in the chrome plated steel wheels whereas the rest of the series used aluminum rims.  The Paul Smart edition had Ohlins suspension though none of the rest of the models did.  My bike was equipped with the Ohlins bits by the original owner and I added the aluminum wheels last year.  The final remaining short coming was the plastic tank Ducati elected to use.  

While plastic fuel tanks are ubiquitous on I.C.E. vehicles and implements, most are hidden and made of a multilayer HDPE construction making them tough, fuel resistant, impermeable to fuel vapors, and easy to manufacture via blow molding.  This material is a challenge to paint however and surface finish is usually not very good, problems for motorcycles as they are front and center and carry the brand name.  Ducati chose a type of plastic material that resulted in a very nice surface that painted well but suffered from swelling (reaction to fuel contact) that most believe is related to ethanol content in US fuels not present in European fuels of the time (2005-2010).  A factory recall and tank replacement was enacted when these bikes were new and my original tank was swapped with a new plastic tank which, in my case, has not seen an adverse fuel reaction during my years of ownership.  Many report that these new tanks still do swell resulting in paint failure and tank fastening issues.  Aftermarket to the rescue!

During the production of the bikes, an aluminum tank was created that was a direct retrofit to the GT as well as a slightly different version for the Sport, Sport S, and Paul Smart (seat interface and increased capacity via blisters).  The frame fitment and fuel pump mounting are challenging.  As these bikes went out of production in 2010 there is little demand for them now and the aftermarket tank appeared to vanish from the market in 2013-2015.  Enter eBay.   Last night I scored what is likely to be one of the final remaining aluminum fuel tanks for my bike from this limited production run thus removing the final major "issue" many people have with this series of Ducati motorcycles.  I'm excited to get it in my possession and figure out how I will finish it prior to installation.  More pics when the tank arrives!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/13/24 6:03 p.m.

I'm considering full polish, leaving it brushed, or mostly red with polished coves.  

Here is the stock tank. 

4/13/24 7:29 p.m.

I'd make it look just like the existing tank, unless there was some factory hot rod version that showed off the aluminum somehow, in which case I'd duplicate that.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/13/24 9:17 p.m.

Vintage Ducs had mixed finishes on the tank.  The bike that was the Ducati's inspiration for mine did not however.  
All of this is just to make for a more enticing BAT auction when I'm too old to ride this thing anymore! 

nsxmr2elises2000
nsxmr2elises2000 PowerDork
4/13/24 10:12 p.m.

I keep lookimg at your photo and wondering if your seat height is lower than my triumph scrambler 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/14/24 7:34 a.m.

Want some dims?  Lemme know!

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fwDfd0nQGx5DxLu7lCZZEYfKyGptEWKimaCqchllehZYcHTNItRtAnetH0UYPPeq