1 2 3
donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/13/20 12:22 a.m.

a few months back I decided I wanted a motorcycle again.  Its been about 15 years since my last motorcycle so I wanted something fairly upright and from my experience on a "slow" older 600 katana I knew I didn't need even that much power.

some time searching I found a strange bike that seemed to fit the needs... a '97 BMW f650 ST it was the more street oriented variant of their dual sport from the time with a 650cc thumper.

thw downside was it was a rebuilt title... but it ran and rode ok so we negotiated on price a bit and home it came with me.

I had to clean up some of the wiring, the weirdest thing was the ignition switch was gone and the power for the switch was all wired to a switch in the side fairing.  The switch that was used was pretty touchy so I replaced the switch with an on/off knob type switch that works better... 

i've used it to commute to work for the last week and I really have enjoyed it's upright seating position, power is more than adiquite... the biggest issue I've had is with my height and how the windscreen makes the air buffet hard onto my helmet, if I sit super upright or roll the top of the windscreen down a bit the noise goes and the wind hits my chest.... I'm debating on a clip on windscreen riser type thing.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/13/20 1:38 a.m.

I bought a 97 F650 to ride after my K75 proved too expensive to repair, and I needed something lighter tho throw in the car trailer when traveling. Not traveling now, so road it to work s few times, but was missing the K75 so much, I couldn’t warm up to the thumper. 

That being said, they really are great bikes. Have fun, and continue with the updates. 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
11/13/20 6:48 p.m.

An oddball for sure! I had a boss with a 650 Dakar among a lot of other bikes. He always spoke very highly of it. Is this engine made by BMW? Or is it actually a Rotax? 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/13/20 8:09 p.m.

Rotax engine, made for Aprillia, assembled by Aprillia, with a few minor changes spec'd by BMW. The Heinz 57 of motorcycles. BMW's answer to the Kawi 650 enduro. Even worse than the Kawi off road. But great commuter bikes. Later ones got better, but by then some were 2 cyl. derived from the 800. Too "new" for me to know much aboutsmiley and the differences got kinda confusing for a while.

Welcome to "beemer" ownership. Even though the 4 wheel "bimmers" say BMW on 'em, just like the bikes do, the two factories tend to not care for each othersurprise I happen to like both, but I've never owned a bimmer yet.

Trivia you may already know: the Roundel is designed to resemble an airplane prop. A BMW airplane engine set a world record back in the origins of the company in the early days of maned flight!

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/13/20 10:01 p.m.
03Panther said:

Rotax engine, made for Aprillia, assembled by Aprillia, with a few minor changes spec'd by BMW. The Heinz 57 of motorcycles. BMW's answer to the Kawi 650 enduro. Even worse than the Kawi off road. But great commuter bikes. Later ones got better, but by then some were 2 cyl. derived from the 800. Too "new" for me to know much aboutsmiley and the differences got kinda confusing for a while.

Welcome to "beemer" ownership. Even though the 4 wheel "bimmers" say BMW on 'em, just like the bikes do, the two factories tend to not care for each othersurprise I happen to like both, but I've never owned a bimmer yet.

Trivia you may already know: the Roundel is designed to resemble an airplane prop. A BMW airplane engine set a world record back in the origins of the company in the early days of maned flight!

yup all spot on, the one benifit is that parts can be gotten from BMW and Aprilla... 

my specific bike is the lower travel "ST" the funduro was more offroad oriented... these bikes seem to run forever... mine has 43k miles on it... had I found a KLR650 (kawi) for a similar price I would have prob gone with that... lesser street manors but they made them for about 30 years so parts are so much easier to find especially here in the states... but part of me is happy to get something that looks like more of a street bike.... if I was to chose between the two for say riding through central america down to Panama I would prob take the kawi for the simplicity... one carb, more travel with more options for tuning for my weight etc etc... as a tall guy the klr is no problem for my height and might be even better and give me a bit more leg room... for shorter folks the BMW would prob be better, the shape of the saddle and ride height has a much lower seat height.... not an issue as someone who can flat foot even a honda africa twin lol.

I always did find it amusing the beemer vs bimmer term... and same as much as I like a bimmer and tried to own one a few times it just hasn't happened yet.

and yup knew the BMW logo = airplane prop... I find it amusing also because rotax makes aircraft engines... thought it was pretty neat heritage.

and lastly... BMW has a fun family heritage... my grandpa had a BMW motorcycle... likely 60s bike that my uncles took out for a joy ride and crashed... they both still have some scaring from it... yet for some reason my first picture of an old motorcycle is also a BMW... I don't know if it's true or not but living in germany from 1-7 there is a good chance I saw a good number of the horizontal twin bikes, move to me being a bit older and there is so much logic to putting the aircooled heads right out in the air (likely a reason I like guzzis vs harley... why not put the motor out in the air?)... 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/13/20 10:19 p.m.

I just looked up Webster.. been through there back in 02 or so. Great area for riding that ST to work and store ect.  I didn't know Rotax had the aircraft heritage as well. Cool.

No motorcycle history in my family; although I was always a hit at reunions, cause I lived on bikes for many years. Had my 3 piece suit on for one funeral, although I rode with my folks to the church, but back on the bike for the reception!

Glad to see you are continuing the family heritage!

I also want to try a boxer one day, but it'll prolly be a oil head. I'm so spoiled with a K75 being my first non jap or HD.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
11/14/20 7:41 p.m.

Not intending to derail, but how is the K75? I test rode and almost bought one but it didn't quite stir the soul. I'm curious what I missed. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/14/20 11:38 p.m.

Being used to choppers, and having to maintain HD's on a LOW budget, I'd ride whatever I could while building one. Had a bit more than usual in 03. Looked at a new triumph, but knew it wouldn't take long to bore me. Almost got a new leftover sporty, but already had a shovel apart, and can't ride a stock sporty!!!  Found a K75, and had wanted one since I saw one new in 84. Figured, being so smooth and quiet, wouldn't take long to bore me... But it is SO smooth and quiet, and SO good at doing its job, I fell in love. Working on it only added to that love. Little details like a mini rack and pinion for the throttle cable - nice engineering and implementation. 

Has a power curve more like an electric motor than an ice.  Not particularly fast. But will curse all day long at well over interstate speed limits. Maintaining is wash it and ride it! Ok, spline lube and normal maint. , but mostly ride it. 

But yea, def. not a bike to stir the soul; just an old faithful kinda thing...and did I mention SMOOTH?

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
11/14/20 11:42 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Didn't you say you got the thumper because the k75 was too expensive to repair?  What happened?

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/14/20 11:50 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to 03Panther :

Didn't you say you got the thumper because the k75 was too expensive to repair?  What happened?

Fuel pump was major expense. 750 first time I let old gas take it out. No aftermarket solutions at that time. Started planing to make a external pump system, but travelin' got in the way, and wanted something lighter. Found out a year ago, the aftermarket supports an inexpensive pump now, but in the meantime, someone stole the gas tank. Seat is trashed from too much time in the weather, and I think needs injectors. Maybe one day, but last year, could find a ton of em for 2K, plus or minus a few hundred.  Now they seem to be hens teeth!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
11/15/20 10:40 a.m.

I wish I had the income and self control to put away a few grand for when I see a deal I wasnt necessarily looking for but want to get because I'd like to have it or can make money on it.  I never seem to have money when I need or want it most

PS. Relevant to the subject because you can't find a K75 now

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
11/16/20 6:10 p.m.

I sold a K75 about a year ago. It's every bit as smooth as 03Panther says. Not powerful, but smooth and consistent. I really didn't care for the bike handling dynamics though. Felt super top heavy, which was a very bad combination at low speeds with the high stand-over seat height. It never felt particularly planted other than when cruising. I never connected with the bike, and was glad to see it go. I owned the bike because I wanted to cut it up into a cafe, and I still think it might be a good platform for it as long as you don't mind cutting the rear triangle up in the process...but my plans aren't for everyone. 

If you can get one cheap, they're reliable transport. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/16/20 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

All true. I just blamed it on the seat being about a foot and a half taller than I was used to. Also prolly why the back tire has come out from under me, without being able to bring it back ! Rode it home both times, but pretty, she ain't.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/16/20 9:45 p.m.

I think that k75 is a neat bike... is the fuel injection mechanical or electric?... looking at them they are neat but what I'm seeing them at (3400$+) there are so many other bikes at that price range that look amazing... but the fact that i'm seeing most with 50k-80k miles they sure seem reliable and well loved.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
11/16/20 9:48 p.m.

In reply to donalson :

So have you put many more miles on it?  How is it?

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/16/20 10:30 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to donalson :

So have you put many more miles on it?  How is it?

i've got about 60-70 miles on it so far.... not as much as I'd like but I don't drive a lot by myself... it should really extend the fuel in my 12mpg truck though haha... I plan on filling up once I hit 100 or 150 miles

my biggest issue with it so far... the headlight sucks... riding home from work is done in the dark and the low beam would be maybe ok on a bicycle... high beam is ok as a low beam but I want some more so I've ordered a 5x7 generic LED jeep head light from china (supposed DOT) that is supposed to be a drop in from what I'm told on the FB funduro groups... if I need more I will figure out some aux lamps connected to my crash bars.

beyond that the other "big" issue is how loud it is because of wind buffetting.  if I was 3" shorter it would prob be about perfect... the wind really smacks the helmet making lots of noise... I need to pick up some ear plugs.  If I stretch my back and neck up it gets my head out of the buffeting and quiets way down, same if I roll the top of the screen down a little bit... some of the guys on the FB group did suggest one of the clip on screens so last time I was out I put my hand in a similar position to where one would be and was shocked at how much of a difference just something the size of my hand made so I'll be picking up a geeky clip on screen at some point soon before I decide to cut down the winds screen.  I want to pick up a shorty screen for summer months also as I think the wind will be appreciated when temps get back into the 80-100s lol... but while riding in the 40-70s a little coverage would be nice.

the bike itself is a tad buzzy but no shock considering it's a big thumper... between the grip puppy over grips and bar end weights I don't really notice it except slightly in my feet.

I want/need to get some more rider oriented boots, I have some leather work boots and they are a bit chunky so sometimes I have to work to get under the shifter but that isn't really about the bike... 

also the brakes aren't very strong... I've flushed and bled the systems but I think i'll be replacing the pads fairly soon along with cleaning up the rotors.

oh another thing... I need to get some mirror extenders... only 1/2 my mirror is usable (well unless you count me admiring my arms)

the power is more than adequate but even trying I haven't managed to scare myself with acceleration... my old 600 katana was 90ish hp and def had the power to scare me if I wasn't paying attention or hit a bump and blipped the throttle a bit.

so all in all.. I'm enjoying it :) i'm been getting used the extra time to get ready to leave for gearing up and such... I really wish lane filtering was legal... 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
11/16/20 11:10 p.m.

Cool!  Have you considered taking a inch off the stock windshield?  I'm comfortable with the air in my upper chest.  Panther, I may try to get your funduro one day

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/16/20 11:21 p.m.

I have considered that... but someone on the forum/group made a good point about trying with the extra on top... I think I would be ok either way and in summer I'd rather no windscreen anyway... i'll try the cheapo option first...  there are also taller and shorter variants on windscreens... so I'll keep my eyes open on some budget options.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
11/18/20 12:00 p.m.
donalson said:

I think that k75 is a neat bike... is the fuel injection mechanical or electric?... looking at them they are neat but what I'm seeing them at (3400$+) there are so many other bikes at that price range that look amazing... but the fact that i'm seeing most with 50k-80k miles they sure seem reliable and well loved.

Electric fuel injection. Mine had 80k-90k miles and I sold it for something like $1600. So they eat up miles for sure. 

Back on topic, that LED headlight should make a world of difference. They're so much brighter, but the hard edges in the pattern are way more noticeable on a bike than they are in cars. Still worth it though. 

Your comments on the buffeting from the windscreen is really interesting to me; I've really only ridden naked bikes, so earplugs are mandatory. Can you take it completely off just to test how it compares? 

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/18/20 6:35 p.m.
Mezzanine said:
donalson said:

Electric fuel injection. Mine had 80k-90k miles and I sold it for something like $1600. So they eat up miles for sure. 

Back on topic, that LED headlight should make a world of difference. They're so much brighter, but the hard edges in the pattern are way more noticeable on a bike than they are in cars. Still worth it though. 

Your comments on the buffeting from the windscreen is really interesting to me; I've really only ridden naked bikes, so earplugs are mandatory. Can you take it completely off just to test how it compares? 

there is a bit missing that would normally go under the windscreen and work as a cover between the fairing and the gauge cluster... without it it leaves a 1-2" gap for air to catch behind the gauge cluster... I could cobble something together I'm sure... for rain and cold I remember how much even minor fairings make... I'd read in the past about how much height and wendscreens play into buffetting.... on the katana 600 I it wasn't bad but that was a more agressive position...  I'll test ride more bikes here in the comming months while I figure out what I want next but i'm in no rush to get rid of this bike... 

on a side note... I've no sucsessfully done my first few burn outs on a bike... fun lol.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/18/20 8:07 p.m.

Take advice from a 56 year old with over 100K miles on HD choppers, before buying a K75... ALWAYS WEAR EAR PLUGS!!! I always blamed industry for my hearing losses... till I bought the BMW and found out - the wind is annoyingly loud. Tooling along enjoying the wonder of air cooled 2 cyl V Growl, ya don't notice the wind... no wonder I'm deaf as a post. To the folks in the back: WEAR YOUR EAR PLUGS.

Now that I've lost a significant amount of my hearing, I wear hearing protection for all kinds of stuff at home I never did before. I can't afford to lose any more. lawn mower, weedeater chainsaw, grinder, drill, ect.

To anyone that didn't catch it, Wear your ear plugs, or hearing protection of your choice!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/18/20 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Mezzanine said:

Electric fuel injection. Mine had 80k-90k miles and I sold it for something like $1600. So they eat up miles for sure

Many K bikes out there with over 100K miles. Have heard of a few with 300K.

When I bought mine with only 13K on it I noticed a little puff of smoke first shift from a stop. Was a bit worried, before I looked into it and found out that with the Nicasil (spelling) cylinders, the rings were not really seated till after 15K miles or so... 15K!!! Sure enough, after 15K, the puff went away, and oil consumption decreased. Pretty impressive!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/18/20 8:34 p.m.

In reply to donalson :

After years of believing windshields came on cars, not bikes, I started riding the Beemer with a aftermarket windshield, modified to fit - sorta. I cut down a batwing fairing I had the was damaged. Without the plexiglas screen added, it mover the air to my chest, Reading up on it, I found, to prevent buffeting, you want the air to go above the helmet, or below. Just as you have found out. Above tends to push a lot of ari like a dam in front of the bike - poor aerodynamics. Without "tucking" down, like the crotch rockets do, your aero drag is less with the air hitting the chest and the helmet in the wind stream, than having the big dam.

My modded shield was so easy to put on and off (not to mention Fugly), I'd take it off to just ride around town, and put it back for the interstate. I didn't bother putting it on for a ride to my folks (80 miles) one time. After getting used to it for about a dozen of those trips, not having it about beat me to death! Not sure when I turned old and decrepit.But I swore I'd never go that far with out it again.

I, also was not happy with the F650 stock screen. One trick I read about is to put a few washers under the screen at the bolt locations. A bit more at the bottom, than the top. Allows some wind to go under the screen, and changes the angle as well. Sposably works good. I never got around to trying it.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/18/20 8:39 p.m.
donalson said:

there is a bit missing that would normally go under the windscreen and work as a cover between the fairing and the gauge cluster... without it it leaves a 1-2" gap for air to catch behind the gauge cluster... I could cobble something together I'm sure... for rain and cold I remember how much even minor fairings make... I'd read in the past about how much height and wendscreens play into buffetting.... on the katana 600 I it wasn't bad but that was a more agressive position...  I'll test ride more bikes here in the comming months while I figure out what I want next but i'm in no rush to get rid of this bike... 

on a side note... I've no sucsessfully done my first few burn outs on a bike... fun lol.

You wrote while I was typing. Someone must have modded the screen already. Maybe without changing the angle?

I'm too short legged to have been comfortable trying burnouts with it being as tall as they are, but it would do clutch - wheelies quite well! Not really enoug power for a roll on wheelie, but fun.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/18/20 11:11 p.m.
03Panther said:
donalson said:

You wrote while I was typing. Someone must have modded the screen already. Maybe without changing the angle?

I'm too short legged to have been comfortable trying burnouts with it being as tall as they are, but it would do clutch - wheelies quite well! Not really enoug power for a roll on wheelie, but fun.

ya it's a GIVI aftermarket windscreen... it was a rebuilt title and it had something to do with the front end stuff, someone rewelded the front end brackets for the gauges and stuff so it looks like they skipped a few things like the original bit that went under the windscreen... I'm working on finding those last few parts... but i'm not worried about riding it as it sits. 

i'm tall @ 6'4... I can flat foot a klr650, v-stroms, and africa twins lol... that is actually one of my issues with bikes is lack of leg room... 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S6vQ920Byo4rqW4JAEtWue62lgukD3kidW5g8Wf0dKpzKPu25XOcIaHDSgvgx8H5