1 2
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/20 10:46 p.m.

Completely stock and un-hipstered, fortunately:

Not having a bike trailer led to the usual towing overkill compared to Europe:

It is nice, just not quite as nice as it looks like in the pictures. Main issue is It might have been  stored somewhere a little bit damp for a while and has some surface corrosion one the chromed parts and some of the engine cases. OTOH even discounting the repainted tank and side panels, there are indicators that the sub-1000 miles on the odometer might be the genuine mileage. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/19/20 10:48 p.m.

Wow congrats !!! 

I just sold my gb500 trophy to a hipster.

Then again the 6 vehicles out of 9 sold since March on BAT, have been all to man bun hipsters surprise

they have  the cash $ $$ and I have their merch. I don't discriminate devil

9/20/20 7:09 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

The hipster joke is kinda on me, too. Even though I tend to be more at the metal end of things, I've been known to wear a man bun in the garage occasionally .

I don't generally discriminate either, but both the CB350F and CB400F are a favourite of the hipster cafe racer crowd. Finding one that is totally original (and more importantly, doesn't have the OEM exhaust hacked off or the OEM seat replaced) is getting really hard.

Case in point, there was a very nice CB350F for sale locally that I found really tempting, but finding the replacement exhaust for that one would've likely cost more than the bike itself.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/20/20 7:47 a.m.

Aftermarket 4 into 1 pipes?

9/20/20 7:53 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

OEM 4 into 1 exhaust, actually. More photos to come.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/20/20 7:55 a.m.

Finding a CB400F with under 1000 miles on it is a real score!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/20 2:01 p.m.

That looks like a '75 or '76. I had a yellow '77 for years, along with a '77 CB550F.

I loved the look of the 400F, but the 550F was just such a sweet bike to ride. I really enjoyed that bike. I owned it for 20 years and eventually sold it on eBay and shipped it to Georgia.

I gave the 400F to a friend of mine about 15 or 20 years ago and he immediately parked it inside his shop, next to where he did a lot of cutting and shaping of black Kydex. Last time I saw it, it looked like this:

The 400F was always a bitch to start.

9/20/20 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

It's a 1975. Oddly enough it appears to start OK, even though it does need the choke even in these temperatures.

Woody
9/20/20 4:16 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Does it still have the tool kit under the seat?

9/20/20 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

It appears to, yes.

9/20/20 5:00 p.m.

As promised, some more pictures:

I'm pretty sure that's the OEM finish on the switch, and I don't think I've ever seen one in that condition with just a little fading of the orange that didn't come in a Honda baggie.

Woody
9/20/20 7:51 p.m.

Wow!

Woody
9/20/20 7:52 p.m.

Those are even the original grips on there!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/20/20 8:07 p.m.

The most fun I've had on a bike was a cl350 Scrambler, but those are twins.  Same era, crap loads of fun for a small power bike.  Do ANYTHING bikes, unless you're going for the ton

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/20 9:33 p.m.

Oh, the awful, awful things I would do to that bike. Good thing it's in in your hands.

Woody
9/20/20 10:20 p.m.

I always felt that the 400 needed a steering dampener. Might be something to consider.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/20/20 10:52 p.m.

That looks fantastic! Congratulations!

Those pipes are so cool...

9/22/20 6:28 a.m.

And because we have the Tubez of You and Me these days, I put up a quick video of the bike on my channel:

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
9/22/20 11:12 a.m.

Best looking exhaust in the history of motorcycles.  This is a great example of what a motorcycle should look like.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/28/20 9:45 a.m.

The mileage being so low is amazing !!!

9/28/20 1:12 p.m.

Thanks.

Unfortunately my attempt at getting it on the road before it's too late in the year got a bit derailed. In the process I learned that while one normally doesn't need a VIN inspection in WV, you do need one when the vehicle you're trying to register doesn't have a 17 digit VIN.

Of course, the 400 Four does predate the time of 17 digit VINs. I suspect that you can see where this is going, and while the VIN inspecition usually seems to be a same day affair in this town, appointments at the DMV are a bit scarce right now.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
11/9/20 10:58 a.m.

Very nice,nearly finished restoring a Cdn model CBX550F for my wife to ride.

She has spent much time sanding all aluminum pcs and and funky exhaust to a satin finish.

Will be watching yours.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/9/20 11:05 a.m.

Will this also be sold soon, like the S2000, Tim?

11/9/20 11:36 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Would you be in the market for one?

Not that I'm planning to. There hasn't really been any progress on it so far as I'm waiting for the VIN check and I couldn't get another appointment at the DMV until the week of Thanksgiving anyway. I like to wait until I have a title in my hand before getting going, although I did violate that rule when an OEM shop manual popped up on eBay.

In contrast to the S2000, with this bike I kinda knew what I was getting into as I've had a bunch of Hondas of that vintage in the past. Plus a friend of mine in the UK owns a very nice restored one that I've ridden a bunch of times. I'm probably not going to use it a lot due to the low mileage, but right now the only "competition" it has is my Morini 3 1/2, and that needs some work to get back on the road - like a restoration of the new (very) used fuel tank I had to get for it.

The one bike that might be going soon-ish is my GL1500. I bought it mostly for touring two up as it's more comfortable for my wife than my usual touring steeds, but we don't seem to travel together much on motorcycles anymore so I might replace that with an older BMW.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/9/20 11:54 a.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Would you be in the market for one?

Not that I'm planning to. There hasn't really been any progress on it so far as I'm waiting for the VIN check and I couldn't get another appointment at the DMV until the week of Thanksgiving anyway.

In contrast to the S2000, with this bike I kinda knew what I was getting into as I've had a bunch of Hondas of that vintage in the past. Plus a friend of mine in the UK owns a very nice restored one that I've ridden a bunch of times. I'm probably not going to use it a lot due to the low mileage, but right now the only "competition" it has is my Morini 3 1/2, and that needs some work to get back on the road - like a restoration of the new (very) used fuel tank I had to get for it.

Always in the market for your left overs cooldevil

I just picked up a mint GB500 Trophy. Now I got 3 of them (unncessarily). 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p68iABHskcH0wzONGZzwYi1IykUmp8RWZKHizHNdYr9PEXBtjHy7ynGu1j77fYnI