1 2
Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/29/13 4:08 p.m.

So I've gotten a big windfall from inheritance and plan to splurge a portion of it on a car and a bike. I've got a "what car" thread up here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/help-spend-my-money-what-car-edition/62299/page1/

As for the bike, I still need to go out and test ride a few things to really know what I want, but I have a very strong suspicion I know already. The top of my list is the Triumph Street Triple R. An SV650 is a solid second place.

The Triple is definitely a more rare bike. Not a ton for sale used. Most used ones seem to be priced pretty high too. Like, quite a few 2012's that the seller is asking MSRP for. I just look at that and think, "Why should I pay $9000 for your used bike, when I can spend $10k for a new one that will be all mine?" If I'm patient I can potentially find a used one for $7k-$8k. Not sure how much time, travel, and uncertainty will be involved in that though.

I do need to go to a dealer and find out what the actual price out the door will be (maybe ignoring taxes, since I'll have to pay those on a used bike anyway). Of course the most logical thing would be to buy a nice SV650 for $4k and have money to do some customization like nice suspension. But... I've got the money now to not really have to settle. Unless I settle on the bike to have more money for a nicer car (there is an M Coupe for sale in the Bay Area with only 77k miles on the clock).

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
3/29/13 5:21 p.m.

You can find sv's for less than 4 that already have a gsxr front end swap an a penske rear shock. The street r is on my short list of bikes when I finally decide to bit the bullet on a brand new bike next year though

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
3/29/13 5:24 p.m.

Have you taken a look at the new KTM 690cc thumper, looks like a nice bike, think it's around $9-10K. Seem like a lot of money but the ktm looks like a hell of a bike.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
3/29/13 7:36 p.m.
ahutson03 wrote: You can find sv's for less than 4 that already have a gsxr front end swap an a penske rear shock. The street r is on my short list of bikes when I finally decide to bit the bullet on a brand new bike next year though

Specific price on the SV isnt the point. Just that they are substantially less than the triumph. It is less bike though.

Are you planning to bite the bullet on brand new? What is your readoning for new over used?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/29/13 7:49 p.m.

IME KTMs do need a lot of maintenance. A couple of friends in the UK have them and they're great when they work...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
3/29/13 9:20 p.m.

What about maintenance on Triumphs?

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/30/13 7:16 a.m.

Researching Tigers when I was shopping, the Triumph triple engine is pretty reliable (along with most of the rest of the bike). Surprising, I know.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/13 8:14 a.m.

To me, bikes are a bit more of an emotional buy than cars. When I buy a "toy" car there are many factors, usually centered on track and autox performance and potential. When I buy a bike, it is based on less tangible characteristics. I think this is for two reasons -- first, the performance of most bikes borders on "too much", and second, I really only use my bike for rides, cruises, and commuting. I don't do anything "competitive" with it.

If you want the Triumph, buy the Triumph. Otherwise you will have regrets, and this should be a no regrets situation.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
3/30/13 9:12 a.m.

You should get what you want....period. If, down the road(no pun intended) you decide you like something better or it's not what you want, so what? At worse, you're out some $$. Big deal.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
3/30/13 9:22 a.m.

For my older triumph daytona, the maintenance and reliability have been really good. In 10 years the only real problem was the gas line connectors (triumph used plastic - that fuel degrades). Switched to brass and problem solved. A slightly annoying thing - usually after winter when it hasn't run for a while - on the first start of the season it will stumble a little a throw a code.The part I love is that it doesn't look like every other sport bike on the road and definitely doesn't sound like any others.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
3/30/13 1:20 p.m.

So paying a bit extra for new is not stupid waste of money like new vs. Used car since this is not a practical thing anyway. There is something exciting about having the opportunity for the first time in my life to walk into a dealer snd buy a brand new vehicle.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
3/30/13 4:14 p.m.

I'll take mine in black and gold, please! There's plenty of great new bikes out there, this is the only one I think I could pull the trigger on. Bonus points for spot-on fueling on the 2013s.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/30/13 4:59 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: So paying a bit extra for new is not stupid waste of money like new vs. Used car since this is not a practical thing anyway. There is something exciting about having the opportunity for the first time in my life to walk into a dealer snd buy a brand new vehicle.

In '95 I bought a new VFR 750 off the boat from Japan and had to wait for it. When it came in, I went to the dealer to watch them assemble it. I sold it in 2003 with a touch over 30k on it and still remember it as one of the single best things I ever bought new.

If you have the scratch... go for it.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
3/30/13 6:25 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
ahutson03 wrote: You can find sv's for less than 4 that already have a gsxr front end swap an a penske rear shock. The street r is on my short list of bikes when I finally decide to bit the bullet on a brand new bike next year though
Specific price on the SV isnt the point. Just that they are substantially less than the triumph. It is less bike though. Are you planning to bite the bullet on brand new? What is your readoning for new over used?
ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
3/30/13 6:31 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
Specific price on the SV isnt the point. Just that they are substantially less than the triumph. It is less bike though. Are you planning to bite the bullet on brand new? What is your readoning for new over used?

I would really like to buy new, I would love to be the first owner and I think the street triple r would be a bike I would keep for a very long time. I would move my rc51 into dedicated track mode and the rd350 that I am rebuilding would satisfy my weekend vintage slot.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
3/30/13 6:33 p.m.

On a side note I was actually looking for an sv650 when I got a deal I couldn't pass up on the rc51 and I would still love to have one sometime

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
3/30/13 8:26 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: I'll take mine in black and gold, please! There's plenty of great new bikes out there, this is the only one I think I could pull the trigger on. Bonus points for spot-on fueling on the 2013s.

When I see that bike, my nether regions twitch. My mind also immediately fills in the sound track of it excellerating through 2nd and shifting into third. I would say this is a strong sign.

I may not end up buying brand new if the dealer wants to tack on bullE36 M3 fees or anything like that, but I think I will not be afraid to buy new if that's what I really want.

The 2013 has some great features like the low slung muffler, perfected fueling, taller 1st gear, lower unsprung mass, and improved rear geometry that would probably cost the price difference to make up in a 2012.

BoxheadTim
3/30/13 8:55 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: So paying a bit extra for new is not stupid waste of money like new vs. Used car since this is not a practical thing anyway. There is something exciting about having the opportunity for the first time in my life to walk into a dealer snd buy a brand new vehicle.

One reason I'm slowly warming to the idea of potentially buying a new bike is that it removes a fair bunch of headaches that you tend to get with used bikes - I don't think the toys really get the mechanical attention they deserve, plus there is the potential fallout from bouts of horizontal biking and similar fun stuff.

The problem is that the bikes I would be willing to buy new cost similar amounts of money as a new Toyobaru (or more) and that tends to put me off a little.

BoxheadTim
3/30/13 8:57 p.m.

OBO Triumph, a good friend of mine has a Street Triple that's a few years old now. He loves the thing and hasn't had any issues with it at all.

Dav
Dav New Reader
3/30/13 11:12 p.m.

I say go for it.

I just bought a brand-new Concours 14 a couple of weeks ago.

I had always wanted a sport touring bike and the used options were slim (I still have a Z1000 that I bought brand new and a dirtbike).

I finally decided, what the hell? I have a good job, have a great family, and if I don't do it now, when will I?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/13 11:38 p.m.

Oh Hi!

Sure it's a little out of budget but you could always buy a little cheaper car and move some more money towards the bike..

skierd
skierd Dork
3/31/13 12:36 a.m.

Buy whichever makes your heart happiest. Your wallet will forgive you before it will.

I bought my WR250R new because dirt bikes and dual sports get used and abused and 'tinkered' with by well meaning but ham fisted owners more often then not. Got burned on my first dual sport that way...

The bike I just bought, I wanted a middleweight standard with about 60-70hp, classicly styled, and low maintenance. I prefer new, so I was looking at the new Moto Guzzi V7 Stone or a Harley 883 Iron... until I found an all-stock and mostly original CB750 Nighthawk for 1/5 the price of a new bike. Except for chain drive, which I didn't want but can deal with especially since I can't ride all year up in Alaska, I'm ok with the price discount vs getting new especially since the bike is pristine.

alex
alex UltraDork
4/1/13 12:23 p.m.

Sounds like you want the Street Triple (for good reason!) and you have the scratch to buy exactly the one you want. Do that. If your local dealer jerks you around, I'm sure there's one on the interwebs that will be happy to take your money and work with you on delivery.

I'm impressed you've been able to control yourself this long. Go for it, man!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/1/13 12:47 p.m.
alex wrote: Sounds like you want the Street Triple (for good reason!) and you have the scratch to buy exactly the one you want. Do that. If your local dealer jerks you around, I'm sure there's one on the interwebs that will be happy to take your money and work with you on delivery. I'm impressed you've been able to control yourself this long. Go for it, man!

Well, I just got the scratch less than a week ago and had events I was organizing this weekend. The nearest Triumph dealer is 2 hours away.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
4/1/13 1:11 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
alex wrote: Sounds like you want the Street Triple (for good reason!) and you have the scratch to buy exactly the one you want. Do that. If your local dealer jerks you around, I'm sure there's one on the interwebs that will be happy to take your money and work with you on delivery. I'm impressed you've been able to control yourself this long. Go for it, man!
Well, I just got the scratch less than a week ago and had events I was organizing this weekend. The nearest Triumph dealer is 2 hours away.

I debated new vs used when I bought my Speed Triple. I wanted a 2011 or earlier because I prefer the round headlights, so went to look at a new 2011 at the local dealer.....they wouldn't deal. I think they offered a few hundred off MSRP, so I asked them to throw in a jacket, no go, they said I could have 10% off gear. I left and hit ebay where I found my 09 with 2800 miles and over 2k worth of accessories for 7500 (I would have been into the new one for close to 12k iirc). It has the arrow titanium exhaust and all kinds of other Triumph accessories/options, which I really like, but never would have bought myself, so in the end I'm glad it worked out the way it did. There is something about buying a new bike right off the showroom floor, but Triumphs aren't a huge draw here in Nashville, so I expected them to deal with me some.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bjlPpiZgj4wGZ5yy2jnGYEkAx3NhIRsr7UZBHCQZBZMZV9sgbW7lHAxiXXy2Dz0u