birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/20/22 10:35 p.m.

Stopped at a yard sale after work and found a 1970 Honda CL90 sitting there, crusty and gross. The old feller selling stuff came over and told me I needed it. Half joking, I said I'd be happy to just take it, but I didn't bring any cash today. He promptly called his wife over and asked her to go fetch the title for it. 

Turns out he was the original owner, sold it then later bought it back. It's been sitting for 10 years and will likely need everything. 

I know nothing of bikes. Am I crazy / stupid for dragging this gem home?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/20/22 11:24 p.m.

No   Wise decision cause it had a title.  

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/20/22 11:29 p.m.

Yeah that's awesome. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
5/21/22 7:34 a.m.

Prepare to be amazed at how easy they are to work on.

When I resurrected my basket case Royal Enfield Bullet, I'd sit on an upturned bucket in my garage listening to music while I whittled away at it. Truly one of the most enjoyable wrenching experiences of my life. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/21/22 7:39 a.m.

All the common chinese scooter and small atv motors i mess with i THINK are knockoffs of this motor. So basically its super easy to re-wire from scratch. Really cool bike and he must have known you were the right person for the job.   Its probably old enough to have a points ignition. Maybe see about switching to a CDI(capacitive discharge ignition) for easiness?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/21/22 10:55 a.m.

You can put a 160cc Lifan in there.

You should totally put a 160cc Lifan in there.

Of all the Japanese motorcycles, Hondas are the easiest to find parts and assistance. You'll do fine.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/21/22 12:41 p.m.

Same motor as an ATC 90 , so simple to  work on and they run forever !

Runs even upside down , after I looped the ATC the first time I had it out :)

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/21/22 3:09 p.m.

I'd have grabbed in a second as well.   That will be a lot of fun fixed up a little

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/22 4:26 p.m.

OK that is awesome! Call me jealous. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/21/22 4:28 p.m.

Yowza, nice tiddler!  
Growing up in Florida, you could ride a small bore bike at 14.  I was excited, all the 8th graders had Super 90s or step through 90s.

If you tire of it, call me.  Or I can put you in touch with my friend Ron who has 22 Hondas, 3 are super 90s, but his weakness is 305 Scramblers and Super Hawks.

Serious - too nice to trash.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/21/22 4:44 p.m.

That's a good enough deal that I checked to see where you are to see if I could poach it from you before you figure out how awesome it is. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ujzzHvwrcbGHONFfRn27QokEzzYpyXRXtjkrTav4s5evjugtEgBWla64tzG4fIHN