Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
7/31/09 9:50 p.m.

wow

http://www.injuryboard.com/national-news/famed-harleydavidson-dealer-killed-in-motorcycle-crash.aspx?googleid=268210

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/1/09 6:11 a.m.

I'm glad he was exercising his freedom by not wearing a helmet.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
8/1/09 2:54 p.m.

I respect his right to take the risk of riding without a helmet.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
8/1/09 4:38 p.m.

Used to hang out with his daughters when I lived in Aspen. Met him in Sturgis as well, he told me to keep an eye on his girls with a wink. Very nice guy, well known and well liked.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
8/1/09 7:47 p.m.
Wowak wrote: I respect his right to take the risk of riding without a helmet.

He can certainly feel free to ride without a helmet as far as I am concerned, but much like suicide, it's not all about him. I suspect his daughters would have preferred he was wearing a helmet at the time (sounded like it might have been a survivable accident).

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
8/1/09 7:59 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Wowak wrote: I respect his right to take the risk of riding without a helmet.
He can certainly feel free to ride without a helmet as far as I am concerned, but much like suicide, it's not all about him. I suspect his daughters would have preferred he was wearing a helmet at the time (sounded like it might have been a survivable accident).

Enough with the helmet law crap already. Fact of the matter is that life is VERY survivable sitting in an armchair watching TV. How you can presume that the accident was survivable would be humorous if the subject matter was different. Stick your head back in the sand aircooled.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
8/1/09 11:09 p.m.

Well forgive me. I suspect you were there and saw what happened, so it must not have been survivable, happy? If not, you of course will be ignoring the fact that you seem to be assuming the opposite and chastising me for simply raising the possibility (you do understand the meaning of "might" right?) I also must assume that he is a personal friend of yours, and for that I am sorry for your loss.

Either way, unless you are under the presumption that wearing a helmet while riding does not improve the survivability of many accidents my point is still valid. It sucks that the guy died, I FULLY support his right to endanger his life most any way, but I of course am not a close friend or family member.

Oh, and this has NOTHING to do with a helmet law, or did you miss the part where I said "He can certainly feel free to ride without a helmet as far as I am concerned"

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/2/09 12:18 p.m.

like my buddy who rides says..

He'd rather those who are dumb enough to ride without helmets to do so regularly. That way when they pull some stupid move, as those who are dumb enough to ride without helmets are apt to do, he/she will most likely die instead of horribly crippling themselves and becoming a drain upon our medicare/medicaid for the rest of their miserable life....

zipty842
zipty842 New Reader
8/2/09 9:28 p.m.

The way I see it:

You have the privilege to ride. You may or may not have the privilege to ride helmet-less. You do not have the privilege to give somebody the right to scoop your brain back into your skull with a shovel.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
8/2/09 9:39 p.m.
ignorant wrote: like my buddy who rides says.. He'd rather those who are dumb enough to ride without helmets to do so regularly. That way when they pull some stupid move, as those who are dumb enough to ride without helmets are apt to do, he/she will most likely die instead of horribly crippling themselves and becoming a drain upon our medicare/medicaid for the rest of their miserable life....

What about people who smoke oh wise man, please enlighten me

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/3/09 5:01 a.m.
ManofFewWords wrote:
ignorant wrote: like my buddy who rides says.. He'd rather those who are dumb enough to ride without helmets to do so regularly. That way when they pull some stupid move, as those who are dumb enough to ride without helmets are apt to do, he/she will most likely die instead of horribly crippling themselves and becoming a drain upon our medicare/medicaid for the rest of their miserable life....
What about people who smoke oh wise man, please enlighten me

instead of smoking they should just stick a shotgun in their mouth. Faster, cheaper, easier.

2002acr
2002acr New Reader
8/3/09 5:28 a.m.

There's a little more to it than being helmetless. Did the truck pulling the trailer have it's turn signal on? Was there a double yellow line? Was Mr. Rossmeyer riding aggressively at that time?

Also we sitting here in front of our computers have no idea if the accident was survivable with a helmet. The brain can only put up with so many Gs whether it is in a bucket or not.

Although he had a full life, 66 is still too young to go.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
8/4/09 8:47 p.m.

Cool it guys. Take this debate up in another thread.

A friend of mine died last fall trying to pass a semi truck who was making a right turn at an intersection. Apparently, the truck was not straddling the intersection correctly (he was in the left-turn lane) but my friend should have used caution. Instead, he rode through with some speed, clipped the truck, lost control, and hit a pole head-on with no helmet. People who saw the accident said they didn't know who he was because there wasn't much left of his head to identify him. Helmet or not, he would have been dead. Sure, it was his right.

Another one of my friends died 4 months before him in a different wreck. He hit a deer and the lost control and hit a car head-on. He was wearing all the gear and breaking no laws. A helmet didn't save his life.

You can debate it all day and night but what's the point? This is a tragedy for all of those connected with this poor fellow. But hey, you could live your life inside a shell, afraid to venture out into the world, and die of cancer at 20. Or you could live to 100 at WOT the whole way.

Godspeed Mr. Rossmeyer. You're either in a better place or you are blissfully unaware of the good, bad, and ugly in the world you left behind. Either way, I'm right behind you.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
8/6/09 9:07 a.m.

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2009/08/04/bruce-rossmeyer-accident-what-happened/#more-17706

The story as reported....

No one ever knows the whole truth on any acident. we all se things diffrently...

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/6/09 9:50 a.m.

He brought a lot of money and jobs into the Daytona area. When the town tried to pull a bunch of B.S. with his plans (which would have helped them BTW) he built a beautiful new complex out in Ormond Beach (Destination Daytona) that now thrives.

This town could use more visionary thinkers like the late Mr. Rossmeyer.

R.I.P.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RUNx6VqiKVVlzzLwAkiQXg1ggybQQ9DRGK44N8aH0ntXiJ0yfwPxvuu9QQ36E8uC