1 2
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
1/25/12 10:31 p.m.

In a nutshell i got it in my head that i want a moped. I can use it for around town, take it with me on trips should the need arise and best of all, its a vehicle that only needs to be registered and to my knowledge, dont need insurance.

I know many will say just get a motorcycle. Check. Already got one.

Others will say get a scooter. That is a valid suggestion as well and i will look into it. The issue i have with that is that i need insurance/ registration and there are few cheap enough that i would even want. (ruckus, old vespa, zuma are old but$$)

So what do i need to know? Pros/Cons? Tips? Hop up stuff?

I think i would be fun to have a simple cheap unique vehicle again

Thanks guys/gals

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
1/25/12 10:47 p.m.

Throw a kit...beotch

Get some friends. Start a gang.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/26/12 12:23 a.m.

First off treatland.tv is so cool that they are the reason why I own a moped. Shipping so fast that it borders on precognitive, cheap prices, awesome stuff and a great sense of humor.

Look into your states laws. Here in Oregon a moped has to be licensed, titled and insured to operate on public roads. In Idaho they require none of that and are treated like bicycles. It is highly state dependent. Insurance is under $5 a month for me.

Almost any moped you will find will not have a title since no one thinks they require one. If you do this will be an issue. Folks like motorecyclenow help with this.

My 78 Vespa Ciao. Photobucket

I haven't found them to be too cheap. Any complete runners are over $600 around here. A kit, pipe and carb are pretty much mandatory so after tires and whatever else it gets close to a grand pretty fast.

Expect around 45mph for a kitted and piped ped. There are some guys hitting high 50's but they are pretty hardcore.

I look stupid on mine. At 6' tall 215lbs I look like a circus bear on a bicycle. If I cared I would be embarrassed.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/12 5:11 a.m.

The stock front forks have a disturbing amount of flex, even at moderate speeds.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
1/26/12 6:23 a.m.

Those with moped knowledge . . . if you could have any moped or under 125 bike, what would it be?

minimac
minimac SuperDork
1/26/12 8:24 a.m.

First, check your state laws. Under 50cc is usually the break point, but sometimes it's also speed based. I admit I don't know how speed is enforced. There are big bore kits that up displacement to 70cc for not much $$ and now there is a decent aftermarket for the GY6 engines. I just picked up an old 50cc Suzuki from my dad and am looking at both of these options. The idea of 50mph(or better) on those little skinny tires and puny brakes might be a little scary though.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/26/12 8:48 a.m.

I have 2 mopeds... lived north of Columbus OH when I got them, they were good fun, but slow speed led to being run off the road (literally) a few times by a-hole drivers.

Moved to western MD (no tags, no reg required). Mopeds not too usable. 35mph turns into 17 going up a decent hill.

Right now I am at the cusp. The mopeds are fun, but slow and that causes inherent dangers in riding. Not all drivers understand that your going your top speed, IE not a motorcycle. I have refrained from getting a motorcycle because of expenses and fear of other drivers.

My end remarks are, they are great for flat ground where the speed limit is <40mph. If you are in a really low traffic area, you will be fine if the speed limit is higher.

I am considering selling one of mine, its a (2002?) tomos targa LX, black with gold wheels. I would entertain fair offers for it. (pick up in cumberland, md)

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
1/26/12 12:46 p.m.
OHIO BMV said: What is a Moped? Just because something looks like a moped, doesn't guarantee it is one in the eyes of the law. Only the Ohio Department of Public Safety can certify which vehicles meet state standards. You should not accept anyone else's statement that a vehicle is a moped. The Ohio Revised Code defines a moped, or motorized bicycle, as any vehicle with two tandem wheels or one front and two rear wheels which is capable of being pedaled and is also equipped with a helper motor. The helper motor may not: have a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters; produce more than one brake horsepower; and propel the vehicle at a maximum speed greater than 20 mph on a level surface. If a vehicle exceeds any one of these criteria, it is legally a motorcycle. Be certain BEFORE you buy. Contact your local Deputy Registrar location, if you have questions.

I looked at all the laws tody about mopeds....

disappointing

That mighta spolied it for me.

Cant do over 20mph, less then 1 BHP, and under 50cc.

That is just dangerous. So maybe move to a...gasp..scooter or some small bike. Anything under 200cc is 120$ a year in insurance so not too bad.

I am bummed.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/26/12 1:05 p.m.

Trust me.. My tomos registered no problem in Ohio and could do over 30mph. Noone with a moped really follows those laws. (there was a whole dealer selling and servicing bikes that were too fast when I got mine)

Trying to remember the name of the place I bought them, it was located on Avery Rd north of C-bus.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
1/26/12 2:06 p.m.

I want a moped that looks like this:

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
1/26/12 2:32 p.m.

Ooooh...

TuffWork
TuffWork Reader
1/26/12 3:00 p.m.

Not really helpful but just an aside. There's a guy around town here that has a moped that's belt driving by a weedeater, but he doesn't actually have the weedeater attached to the bike. He holds it over is back as he goes. Being that it's two stroke and has to run at full blast he has a giant cloud behind him. One of the strangest things I've ever seen. I think he's borderline homeless.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
1/26/12 3:29 p.m.
TuffWork wrote: Not really helpful but just an aside. There's a guy around town here that has a moped that's belt driving by a weedeater, but he doesn't actually have the weedeater attached to the bike. He holds it over is back as he goes. Being that it's two stroke and has to run at full blast he has a giant cloud behind him. One of the strangest things I've ever seen. I think he's borderline homeless.

I wonder what kind of MPG he gets out of that setup. It doesn't like a particularly efficient way to transfer power.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
1/26/12 5:35 p.m.

There's some cool looking bikes out there.

From mild:

Photobucket

To wild: Photobucket

To wilder: Photobucket

To FAIL: Photobucket

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/12 6:24 p.m.
Graefin10 wrote: Those with moped knowledge . . . if you could have any moped or under 125 bike, what would it be?

I would choose the best looking 124cc bike I could find. I got a free '78(?) Tomos Bullet that was faster than my '09 Ruckus, but it got scary when you got above 40-45. Skinny wheels and tires and lots of front end flex. Photobucket

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
2/14/13 11:08 a.m.

Been looking at these again for around town stuff and some darn adventure. Either this or a scooter but a moped is cheaper by far...

And insurance is cheaper too.

But the clincher is for a bit more cash (in outright buying and insurance) you get a scooter that is light years better then a moped in every way.

Its a great struggle i have. Just want a toy thing haha

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
2/14/13 12:39 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Been looking at these again for around town stuff and some darn adventure. Either this or a scooter but a moped is cheaper by far... And insurance is cheaper too. But the clincher is for a bit more cash (in outright buying and insurance) you get a scooter that is light years better then a moped in every way. Its a great struggle i have. Just want a toy thing haha

Thing is you can always sell the moped when you are done. An old vespa will always have value, getting one that need a little tiny amount of work and selling it off for a bit more in the long run might cover the cost or registration and insurance.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/14/13 2:28 p.m.

All things considered, I'd rather have a real bicycle with a small engine attached. BTDT with an old Jawa. A typical moped is only vaguely capable of being pedaled, and they don't go fast at all.

Having learned recently about the hub motors one can use on a bicycle, I'd be inclined to go that route just to mess with people pedalling up a hill.

http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/index.aspx

http://www.e-bikekit.com/

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
2/16/13 7:43 a.m.

Derbi gpr50

Aprilia rs50

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
2/16/13 8:30 a.m.

There a drunk in town who got to many DWI's.....he rides a " Orange County Choppers" bicycle with a motor kit.....Funny seeing a 50+ on a chopper bicycle

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
2/16/13 3:45 p.m.

A-holes like that get what they deserve.

alex
alex UltraDork
2/16/13 6:21 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: There a drunk in town who got to many DWI's.....he rides a " Orange County Choppers" bicycle with a motor kit.....Funny seeing a 50+ on a chopper bicycle

There's a converted-bicycle biker gang that headquarters, or whatever, at the end of my block. I rue the coming of spring, because the first day it's nice enough to open the house, they're going to be buzzing up and down the street with their uncorked Chinese two-smokes at full throttle, like a swarm of angry bees. Not one member of the World's Saddest Biker Gang is under 50.

I'd complain, but they're good neighbors otherwise, and I don't want to be "that guy." Anyway, I have two motorcycles in the garage with less-than-quiet pipes that will be running soon, and I'll be able to chase them down at idle in first gear to embarrass them.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
2/17/13 3:12 a.m.

That actually sounds like the radest biker gang over 50. Then again, I can't hear them in Illinois.

fujioko
fujioko New Reader
2/27/13 9:52 a.m.

I think I have 12 or 15 mopeds in my basement, I lost track

Anyway, I buy and sell Honda Sprees. Sprees are comfortable and make a good neighborhood ped but take a lot to modify them for more speed.

My goto bike is a 1983 Tomos top tank with a 2002 A35 engine, bi-turbo exhaust, smaller rear sprocket and re-jetted carb. The bike will run 40-42 MPH on the flats and 25 -30 on grades. My butt can handle the crappy seat for 15 min before I have to get off the bike. The wire wheels and front/rear suspension are scary.

The BMW decals confuse people.

Tomos bikes have a two speed automatic transmission and the engine can be modified for more power relatively easy.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
3/4/13 2:19 p.m.

I rode this every day for a year. In Georgia, no tag required. In Ohio, it just sits in my garage.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jc0Kjva522yrHOURkg1LSKnjDVrdIwQ12nzh8UpNAsQaN7oYw3Mazoouxwy81bbJ