1 2
sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
1/13/10 7:19 p.m.

So somehow I just now noticed this section. Here's the build I've been working on rather slowly...I'll copy what has been posted on another board so far.

Here's how old brownie started out inside the tank... ew..

Started the teardown to find this in the right carb...

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
1/13/10 7:20 p.m.

Well, The fuel tank no longer looks like a brownie ;D Sent it to work with my dad to stick it in a dip tank at the airport, which worked really well for cleaning out the inside, but didn't remove decals at all... Turns out, this tank has been cut open and rewelded before, making rust removal a non-issue. Still, it's getting POR-15'ed as we speak.

What do you guys think? I think I want it to be brushed look with clear over it, or flat black.

Pulled the stator cover off and gave it a nice refurbishing... before after

Got the ignition cylinder bracket and toolbox stripped and painted today. These were REALLY rusty, and now they are primed and painted with the most overkill paint for these two parts :P

Got a new chain for it today too. Tomorrow will be testing out a chrome-friendly rust removal method I've used on bicycles before

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
1/13/10 7:24 p.m.

UPDATE! new parts have arrived!

So the spokes on these wheels are Ruuuuuussstyy! They look like they are still fine to ride on, but they definitely are not worth trying to refinish; just too much pitting there. I got the old (OEM! what a pain!) tires off the bike and my new ones came in. Not period correct, but they should have some nasty grip for the street. As she sits now

Also got my new carb cores in yesterday, man was this thing nasty! Sitting in some Berryman's right now

Also, I gave in to dealing with the old petcock (teehee!) and bought a NOS Honda one. Man will this be nice!

The rear brake linings are immaculate! It's almost like the previous owner didn't even use the rear brake!

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
1/13/10 7:29 p.m.

Ok, so I got the new coils installed. Only got about half of the progress on film (you know how it is, excitement gets ahold of you!

How the bike stood before the tank came off again :-\

New coils

What I'll be making these brackets out of, some random Aluminum I found in the shop

Old coil assembly-removed

Bracket halfway there. Fitted to the OEM coil bracket

The rest was in that "forgot to take pictures" stage. I'll tell you one thing, these new coils with shock the ever-loving piss out of you! I fixed the bowl filling issue with the left hand carb. It turns out that the adjuster tab on it was bent at an angle, and causing grief. It also turns out that the same carb is having issues with getting enough fuel at idle. It will backfire some unless the screw is all the way in (full idle rich right?) and even then it still backfires. The right cylinder is running amazingly!

Looks like the carb is coming off AGAIN for a good cleaning

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
1/13/10 7:32 p.m.

Well I've been financially in a pinch since this summer, but I've started a new job and started some more work on the bike!

I decided that I was going to upgrade the front suspension soooooooo.....

CBR600 F4i shocks, axle, brakes, and bar. Adjustable, modern forks should improve the ride a bit.

Here they are side by side with the originals.

Got a smashing good deal on these so I set off taking the old front end apart. I just want to know how the hell Honda crammed all that wiring into the headlight housing!??!?! Cold, old wiring doesn't like to flex much so it took about 30 minutes just to get the headlight bucket off. Once I got everything apart I started measuring.

The lower stem on both the 450 and the CBR are 30mm.

The problem occurs with the ball bearing size. The 450 has ~6mm balls while the CBR has 7mm balls.

The head tube in the frame is too small to fit the CBR bearings by about 2mm

I think I'm just going to go ahead and convert the lower bearings to taper rollers, since all else will be the same. The upper presents a problem. I can either use the original 450 ball bearings or figure out something else. I'll get some more measurements tonight.

I left the bike sitting like so last night, just to get an idea of the new look. Also found out that the steering stop tab on the frame is too wide, and only allows about 30 degrees of steering angle, with a bias to the left. I don't think that the tank will need to be clearanced once that is fixed!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 HalfDork
1/13/10 9:03 p.m.

Sweet project! Keep updates coming this way

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/13/10 9:05 p.m.

Looks good so far! I like the fork swap idea, that's got me rethinking part of my street tracker project.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
1/13/10 10:08 p.m.

I like where this is going! Sweet project.

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
1/14/10 12:18 a.m.

Thanks guys. Carkid, I like your CB!!!! That orange is just bitchin

Here's what I did tonight.

Figured out that the lower bearing race for both the 450 and the CBR are the same installed height. This means that the taper-roller upgrade should go in perfectly and sit at the right height! The upper ball bearing race fits on the CBR stem perfectly, and would still work, but sits maybe 3-4mm higher on the stem. I'm not sure what this means yet for the taper-roller conversion.

I moved on to the front wheel bearings since I'm going to retain the 450's front wheel.

Started my super-scientific calculations to see if there was a bearing that would fit both the wheel and the CBR axle diameter (20mm)

The OEM bearing measures 15x42x13 (mm) and can be replaced with a #6004-2rs bearing measuring 20x42x12. I will have to machine a new spacer for between the bearings and collars for proper spacing, but it will work.

So what do you guys think? With the fender or without?

I'm leaning towards keeping the fender, albeit slightly trimmed up front.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 HalfDork
1/14/10 12:31 a.m.

Looks good!

On the carb issue, my goldwing carbs were pretty bad, but not as bad as yours. I soaked them for several days in berrymans, and they still did not get clean. I followed the instructions from Randak's, and it cleaned them right up. Boil them in distilled water/lemon juice, it took 45 minutes per carburetor, but they came out spotless.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/14/10 7:01 a.m.

Nice job! But tell me about the Ford wagon in the background.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 HalfDork
1/14/10 8:45 a.m.

keep the front fender but make it a tiny one. maybe not even chrome so it helps make it "disappear"

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/14/10 9:21 a.m.

Keep the fender. The first time you ride it at anything faster than 10mph you'll thank me - pebbles flung at your face don't feel very good at all.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/10 9:31 a.m.
sobe_death wrote:

Looks like a really fun project. I've been wanting to get something like this for a while.. but no time.

I do really want to know what the white finned thing behind the truck is. It almost looks like some kind of 3 wheeled contraption....

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/14/10 11:16 a.m.

Right now it's a three legged dog, but it could be one of these!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/10 11:21 a.m.

No I mean the thing in the picture I posted right behind the truck.

alex
alex Dork
1/14/10 1:15 p.m.

Cool project. This sort of thing is right up my alley. Keep the updates coming!

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
1/14/10 4:39 p.m.
nocones wrote: No I mean the thing in the picture I posted right behind the truck.

Oh THAT thing. It is an old drop fuel tank from some WWII plane that was recruited into a downhill racer. That's my dad and his club's creation, but mostly his since he has all the tools. I'll find a picture of it.

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
1/14/10 4:46 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Nice job! But tell me about the Ford wagon in the background.

'59 Ford Country Sedan with a 390 in it. My dad has voiced a desire to put a turbocharged, Japanese straight-six in it.

It could be more like this than the picture you showed

minimac
minimac Dork
1/17/10 7:46 a.m.

Nice project! Keep the front fender, just trim the front of it back almost to the brace. Leaving the back long keeps road crap from kicking up on the motor. I really like the new fork conversion....keep it up! Are you going to keep it stock appearing? A custom color, with all the bright work kept stock will look killer.

RussellH
RussellH Reader
1/29/10 4:19 p.m.

Neat project! I have a 1982 CB450SC (NightHawk) - sadly it's for sale now.

Where do you find parts for your bike?

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
1/29/10 7:03 p.m.

In reply to RussellH:

For OEM parts I usually check out www.bikebandit.com . They have some oem parts, but they also have EVERY parts diagram for the bikes. It really helps when you get something in pieces and aren't quite sure where it goes.

Nighthawks are awesome, it's a shame you're selling it!

RussellH
RussellH Reader
1/29/10 7:50 p.m.

In reply to sobe_death:

Yeah that's where I got most of my parts too.

I know I'm going to regret selling it but I just don't ride anymore, I've decided to hold off until my 5yo is in college. When I gave up racing it was tough, then I found the bikes and they almost replaced my racing addiction, now I'm not sure what I'll take up next to replace the bike. I might get an old dual sport that I can throw in the back of my truck and go ride the fireroads around here. I'm not afraid of the bikes, just the cagers.

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
2/19/10 8:18 p.m.

I got some more work done. It's been slow going (machining took some time) but good progress has been made.

I FINALLY was able to get the wheel bearing out, and test out the fit of the new ones new bearing, new axle some measurements.

The wheel bearings are only supported on one side of the wheel, the rest is kept from sliding into the hub by a machined spacer.

I also got my tapered steering bearings in and measured correctly. You have to space them up the stem the correct distance in order for the stem to sit in the correct spot.

bottom race inthe teer tube upper tube

lower bearing installed upper bearing before being packed

and when all is said and done you can still use the stock upper nut from the 450!

also cleaned up the upper triple tree; removing the CBR ignition cylinder mount.

that's all for now

PaulY
PaulY Reader
2/23/10 12:16 a.m.

This is a wicked project, can't wait to see more. Nice work!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XU9PfWe9oCQDAjbS7hcw9eAGTkwceZyXPMeg5LB1qLPeOSWFPKlwSE8O1vXDxBSW