1 2 3 4
octavious
octavious Reader
7/16/14 10:09 a.m.

So I am back and I have more bike questions.

I am still looking at bikes and even though Netflix suggested I watch a movie about MotoGP which I am, I just haven't found any sportbikes in my price range that are screaming at me to buy.

I've also been reading up on riding position and while this will probably only end up being a commuter bike and I want it to be sporty, I also want to be comfortable. I don't want to ride a sofa but I am considering riding position and not just looks now.

When you guys say "sport touring bikes" are you talking about BMW type bikes? So race bike look but more upright riding position?

When considering riding position, I don't really like the look of windsheilds on any bike. Is there a position where you have to have a windshield? Does riding straight up on a cruiser type bike necessitate having a windshield? Or is that all personal prefence?

When looking at cruiser type bikes, I assume the motors are not the same as sportbikes. I don't want to say they are detuned but I know they aren't as high strung as sport bike motors. Does that change what I should be looking at? Example: I see several Yamaha V-star 650s and 1100s. I assume the 650 is the beginner version is that correct? But will a V-star 650 be able to keep up and pass traffic or is it going to be underpowered in that aspect?

Also how easy is it to change handlebars? I see some cruiser bikes I like but the handlebars are at weird angles. Not quite ape hangers but some look taller than necessary.

Are bikes pretty DIY friendly? With maintaining the fleet of cars I do now, I need a low maintenance bike.

Lastly, anyone have other sites to bike shop besides CL and cycletrader?

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/16/14 10:15 a.m.

http://cycle-ergo.com/ is excellent for checking the ergonomics of bikes without actually sitting on them. Windshields are personal preference, I DD my Buell 1125CR, it has no windshield, I'm not bothered by the wind- but it does get COLD in the winter compared to something with a fairing.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/16/14 10:26 a.m.

From your local craigslist:

SV650
VFR
ZZR600
Bandit
Ninjette

octavious
octavious Reader
7/16/14 10:53 a.m.

Noncack, I'm in Knoxville now. I guess I haven't changed my profile location... Doh!

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
7/16/14 11:19 a.m.

Most sportbikes have "Clip Ons" where the controls are adjustable for height on the fork tubes. I've seen guys raise them on sportbikes before, which gives a more upright position. IIRC its usually the parking lot stunting crowd that does that.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/16/14 1:11 p.m.

ergonomics are easy enough to change by raising bars, dropping pegs, etc. or going the other direction and tightening things up.

Some bikes are way more DIYable than others.

Windshield is what it is. My BMW has a small one and my Triumph doesn't. For my long commute at higher speeds I much prefer a windshield even if it's small.

Yes all XXX amounts of CCs are not created equal just like all V8s aren't. Looks at peak numbers, dyno graphs, performance stats etc. My 1300cc bike makes 175HP, but so does Yamaha's 1000cc bike. A certain 1300cc cruiser might struggle to break 100hp, but with a little research you can get a good idea of a bikes performance, powerband, etc.

If you're not hella fat a 650 cruiser should motivate you just fine.

I can't stress enough how much you need to go out and ride some different type bikes though. Find a local dealer who'll let you try a few different styles out. It'll be an eye opener for you.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/16/14 6:01 p.m.

If I had the opportunity to do it again I would not have gotten a cruiser. I've ridden a couple sportbikes and can not stand the riding position of them. I've always been more attracted to a "standard" bike. For some reason that type of bike rarely get imported anymore. Some sneak through though they're not as common as they should be.

Honda599

Honda cb1100

Kawasaki zrx1100

I think those type of bikes are going to be good at commuting. I just wish there was more of them.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
7/16/14 8:14 p.m.

My only complaint about living in Alaska is not being able to commute every day on a motorcycle.

Spent 3 years commuting (and everything else, no car during that time) on a WR250X in the Baltimore area, usually with a 15-20 mile ride to work. Perfect bike for it imo, very nimble in traffic with great sight lines from being tall, fun and easy to ride, and good gas mileage with next to no maintenance. And a fun on the weekends too!

An Aerostich Roadcrafter or a good 2pc suit (I liked Aerostich AD1 overpants and a Klim Traverse jacket for most of the year) will make commuting in work clothes underneath a snap, plus no rain gear needed. Aerostich makes riding khakis with armor, add a nich mesh jacket for the heart of summer. Only bring rain gear if its raining on the way to work, otherwise just get a little wet on the way home. Alpinestars makes several boots that don't look all stormtrooper or racer, or keep work shoes at work. Wear a helmet and gloves. Leave work with time to make the ride, be more disciplined, so you don't have to worry about rushing.

I liked having a tank bag for on-bike storage of small items. I'm hoping to add a bigger bike to the garage next summer so I can get back to commuting, probably a cruiser with a swingarm bag for my work laptop and notebook. It'll be nicer for long road trips and taking the wife on weekend rides too.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/16/14 8:33 p.m.

Ride a VFR-750R

It's got V4 torque. It's got smooooth power delivery. It has a nice upright riding position and reasonably placed clip-ons for long rides. It has old-time Honda reliability. It has all the speed you want balanced with fantastic agility, good comfort, super-bike brakes and MOTHER_OF_GOD engine noises.

I rode one from one end of PA to the other every week for months on end. NEPA to DC. NEPA to SC. I put 30k on it taking the long way home. A fine choice all the way from upper novice to racer IMO.

What ever you choose - do take the MSF 2nd level course, buy the best gear you can afford and keep it 8hrs bottle to throttle.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
7/17/14 7:28 a.m.

This thread is really making me want a motorcycle for the first time in my life.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/17/14 9:15 a.m.

In reply to nicksta43:

I've always liked those ZRX1100 and 1200s. Wouldn't mind having one.

Dav
Dav Reader
7/18/14 9:00 a.m.
octavious wrote: When you guys say "sport touring bikes" are you talking about BMW type bikes? So race bike look but more upright riding position?

They run the gamut. There are larger bikes and slimmer ones. Various BMWs, Concours, FJR, Honda ST are on the larger end, then there are the VFRs, Triumphs, and others on the slimmer end.

A standard can be a good choice too--depending on the weather and luggage.

I have both--a Z1000 for when it is nice out and I don't need to carry much (tank bag) and a Concours14 for everything else.

If I lived in a city (I live out of town and most of my commute is highway) I would look at a supermotard style bike too. But I would want to add some sort of luggage. I haven't wore a backpack in years and will never go back.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/18/14 9:16 a.m.

I currently commute on a ZRX with slightly raised bars and slightly lowered foot pegs. It does work well in that role; More or less my only complaint is the seat, it's just not very comfortable once you get past 30-40 miles.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/19/14 2:01 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: This thread is really making me want a motorcycle for the first time in my life.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
7/19/14 8:13 a.m.

Don't waste time picking out a bike.

Just get the best 1986-2007 Ninja 250 you can find.

They are free. You will sell it for what you bought it for.

If you weigh 150 lbs, it'll go 0-60 in 6 seconds.

After 5,000 miles you'll know exactly what you want and you'd be just fine on 95% of the bikes out there, up to and including the Big Stuff.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
7/19/14 8:18 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

I've got a Sargent seat on my VFR and it helps. Isn't perfect but helps. I'm interested in finding a "tractor" style seat if someone makes one but I'm not sure who to talk to. I know it won't be pretty but I don't care. Oh, and the Sargent is supposed to drop the rider about 3/4ths of an inch. Found that out after I bought it. I want that distance back, with maybe another 1/2 inch beyond stock.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/19/14 11:52 a.m.

In reply to pres589:

You've described the exact reason why I haven't splurged on a Sargent or Corbin seat for the bike. I already had to get the lowered footpegs because of my knees, the last thing I need is to end up with a lowered seat. That said, a better seat would make the bike a much better medium distance tourer.

Dav
Dav Reader
7/19/14 12:08 p.m.
chaparral wrote: Don't waste time picking out a bike. Just get the best 1986-2007 Ninja 250 you can find. They are free. You will sell it for what you bought it for. If you weigh 150 lbs, it'll go 0-60 in 6 seconds. After 5,000 miles you'll know exactly what you want and you'd be just fine on 95% of the bikes out there, up to and including the Big Stuff.

I think this is half way good advice --I'd suggest EX500/Ninja 500 if much highway riding is involved.

A couple year old EX500 was my first street bike. And I actually TRADED IT IN for more money than what I paid to the first owner.

Now my new Concours14, well, I probably lost $5K on that bad boy once I rolled it out of the dealership, but somebody has to buy new stuff at some point... .

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/19/14 6:04 p.m.

In reply to Dav:

Nothing wrong with a backpack IMO. I commute year around with one. I don't have luggage on my k1300s, but if I did I'd still keep the backpack. Everyone is different. When I travel on my bike I use a big tailbag.....and my backpack. I don't notice the weight and in the summer.... Well when it's 90 and 100 degrees out the fan coming on in traffic bugs me way more than the backpack.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/19/14 6:06 p.m.

I'm not a fan of the 250 or 500cc ninjas. I felt the engines were both rough. I much preferred the old vfr 250.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
7/19/14 6:38 p.m.

I have to agree with the comments about Sport Touring bikes. All my long trips are spent on one, my 1983 Honda CX650 Eurosport with Vetter hard luggage.

A friend of mine sold his Yamaha FJ a year ago and is still kicking himself.

I'm also a big fan of the good, old Standard motorcycle. They're making them again too. Hondas NC700 is pretty much made for commuting.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
7/20/14 9:33 p.m.

I have saddle bags for my ktm. Sometimes I don't like running them, they make the bike really wide. Ergonomics is extremely personal. On my bike I had to raise the bars, widen the pegs and lower the seat. The ktm is very tall, I have a 31" inseam if you're noob it'll feel very unstable...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/21/14 7:05 a.m.

One major reason I don't commute with my STriple more often, is that I tend to bring my laptop to work with me. I don't have hardbags (don't think there are any for the STriple), and would be seriously unhappy if I laid the bike down and explodified my laptop.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

(I've just been taking the car a lot because a bike makes the commute into town no quicker or more pleasant, what with major slowdowns on freeways and lane-splitting not being legal here.)

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/21/14 7:10 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

Backpack or laptop bag, and find an alternate route- if there is no alternate route, lane split anyway?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/21/14 7:14 a.m.

As for the existence or decline of standards... there are still plenty around, they just don't look like UJMs anymore. Most of the naked Jap and Euro bikes are standards. The biggest issue with one like mine is having a good spot to secure bags.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tHc10pGq5krf9lLKwEwMMv35LbOqQijGnpDY5IiEDFNjhi8mf6Y7Hol3jvEk3coE