1 2 3 4
Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/21/14 7:15 a.m.
NONACK wrote: Backpack or laptop bag, and find an alternate route- if there is no alternate route, lane split anyway?

I've got a backpack. I guess I'm just weighing how concerned to be about the likelihood of destroying my computer and losing all the data if I take a tumble.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/21/14 7:17 a.m.

If the computer is the most important thing damaged in the crash, I'd say you got very lucky...

Back up the info to an external drive?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/21/14 8:19 a.m.
NONACK wrote: If the computer is the most important thing damaged in the crash, I'd say you got very lucky... Back up the info to an external drive?

It's not the laptop itself that's the most valuable thing. It's the data on it. I probably just need to back everything up on external or to the cloud anyway.

...of course, there's also the tendency with my work to have a bit of alcohol over the course of the day.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
7/21/14 11:20 a.m.

A friend uses these when he rides and has beat the hell out of them.

http://www.compacc.com/p/sliders-adventure-kevlar-motorcycle-pants

He went down on his dirt bike wearing them at 45 mph twice last week in dirt and they held up great and provided good protection.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
7/21/14 11:30 a.m.

I got stuck last week in a traffic jam, it was about +30C and we went nowhere for about 1/2 an hour. The guy beside me was a on crotch rocket, some really sexy CBR something or other, and I could see the guys sweat dripping down his face. The heat must have been intolerable because this guy was doing it right and had full leathers on. I'd love to have a bike for evening or weekend cruises, to DD everyday, no thanks, stuck in traffic in summer heat would be punishment.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/21/14 11:39 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
NONACK wrote: Backpack or laptop bag, and find an alternate route- if there is no alternate route, lane split anyway?
I've got a backpack. I guess I'm just weighing how concerned to be about the likelihood of destroying my computer and losing all the data if I take a tumble.

Get a hard bag or a set of panniers?

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
7/21/14 7:52 p.m.

Beerbaron,

You need to back up your data anyway. Texas A&M FSAE lost the tire and vehicle dynamics model three times during the 2013 season - having a readily available backup would've saved hundreds of hours.

I'd transport the laptop in something waterproof. If it ends up as part of the crumple zone in a crash, that's some impact energy your body didn't have to absorb.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
7/21/14 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-toprack-triumph-street-triple-675-08-black-for-givi-trax-alu-box-krauser-topcases

That's how it starts.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/21/14 8:54 p.m.

Missing skin is worse than sweat. You can't wash off scabs.

I'd rather sweat now than bleed later.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/21/14 9:47 p.m.
Fobroader wrote: I got stuck last week in a traffic jam, it was about +30C and we went nowhere for about 1/2 an hour. The guy beside me was a on crotch rocket, some really sexy CBR something or other, and I could see the guys sweat dripping down his face. The heat must have been intolerable because this guy was doing it right and had full leathers on. I'd love to have a bike for evening or weekend cruises, to DD everyday, no thanks, stuck in traffic in summer heat would be punishment.

So... drive between the parked cars.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
7/21/14 10:08 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Chicks dig crutches!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/22/14 1:49 a.m.

Old ladies dig crutches.

Chicks dig the scars.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
7/22/14 2:06 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

Illegal here and with our level of drivers, highly dangerous.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
7/22/14 10:31 a.m.

In reply to Fobroader:

Silly Canadians, 86F isn't that bad. It's going to be 90F and 80%+ humidity......and I'm taking the conjested route home. I'll bet I never see the temp gauge pass 180.

Oh, and as far as the "We don't get standards here anymore" crowd crying.....we do. Some are just labeled as "Hooligan bikes" such as the FZ-09.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/14 10:42 a.m.

ICON makes some great products for boots, and you can wear them all day if you want. I keep a pair of dress shoes at the office (khakis/polo is the norm for me) and often forget to change my shoes because the Icons are so comfy.

If you are struggling with storage options, I highly recommend some sort of rack on the back. You can bungee all sorts of stuff to a bike if you have spots to tie off to, and something with a flat plate will allow you to add a locking trunk when you want one. The one below is for a sport bike, and you can even tie a duffle bag under it to keep the CG lower.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
7/22/14 11:01 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Actually, thats the rear of a modern "Standard".......CB1000R

octavious
octavious Reader
7/23/14 8:22 a.m.

First, thank you all for the response. Questions have been asked in this thread by others that is stuff I never would have thought of.

UPDATE- This weekend I got the better half to sign off on a motorcycle. First, she was not boozing it up, and second I did not withhold sex. I think I caught her in a moment of weakness, but she reluctantly agreed to let me get a motorcycle. She had some requests, including full gear, retaking the motorcycle safety course, and my kids can't ride. And the expenses will come out of my car fund, which will be the limiting factor right now. However, all are doable.

I've also learned some things. Sport bikes and the like are much higher to ensure than cruiser type bikes. My co-worker's just liability coverage is on his Honda 919 is higher than full coverage on some of the bikes I have been looking at. And he has had his motorcycle license and a clean record forever.

Also, I have been looking at BMW motorcycles (all of them). I have also been looking at the KLR650 and some of the dual sports. (As a daily I'm not sure I want to go with a dualsport). I've also been looking at some of the Honda more cruiser bikes.

Lastly, I have been looking at gear and storage options. Beerbaron brought up a good point there are valuables I need to carry to work everyday and I'm not sure if I want them just in my backpack. I also have a Kelty backpack with a small metal brace in the middle and I'm thinking that might not be the best one to have should I take a tumble. Where do you guys get riding gear? I'm talking helmets, jackets, boots, etc. I've been on cyclegear and revzilla most recently. I've decided I am going with a full face helmet (cause I gotta protect the money maker) any recommendations? Anything to stay away from?

And this is my current bag.. Kelty Redwing 2650

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/23/14 8:30 a.m.

I love my dualsport for a daily (xt600). My commute is all through town though, if you are going to be commuting on the freeway I wouldn't recommend it.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/23/14 8:46 a.m.

In reply to octavious:

I buy almost everything from Revzilla, but I live an hour from their showroom in Philly, so it's kind of a no-brainer for me. My suggestion for gear, helmets, etc. is TRY IT ON. Ideally try the exact model you want to buy, but even finding someone who carries that brand and knowing "I'm an L in Alpinestars, M in Joe Rocket, etc..." is better than nothing. This is especially true for helmets- head shape and feel are very hard to determine without trying something on. I love my Icon Airframe, but would have had no idea how well it fit me without trying one on first. Likewise, I thought an AGV might be a good option, but tried one on and it felt like a styrofoam bucket. If there are no gear stores near you, any large, non-Harley dealer will most likely have a good selection.

octavious
octavious Reader
7/23/14 8:55 a.m.

I just looked we have a CycleGear store in town so I will be going there to test fit gear.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/23/14 9:11 a.m.

Regarding helmets, I'm particular to Schuberth helmets (to be found at your local BMW emporium) but that's mainly because they fit my German bonce very well and the models I like (the S series, used to have an S1, now rocking an S2) are very quiet. They are not cheap but I seem to get a lot of use out of them.

Fit and comfort is very personal, always pick a decent quality, well fitting helmet over recommendations from Th3 InterW3bz .

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
7/23/14 9:26 a.m.

In reply to octavious:

Don't rush into buying "something". Motorcycles are fun, so maximize your pleasure. You can make them work, as a tool. But they aren't as practical as a car or truck.

Plunk your butt down on as many different bikes as you can. If there's a motorcycle show anywhere around you, go to it. Notice what feels good and fits, and what does not. Sometimes it can be subtle differences that are actually quite profound. You won't know without sitting on many.

Motorcycles are visceral. By all means, go with what stirs your blood. Never mind what you think should stir your blood, pay attention to what actually does stir your blood.

Be realistic about what you're going to be doing with a bike, and what your skill levels are. Yes, the BMW 1200GS can carry a load and travel through the Sahara, but probably not with you. Equally the Ducati Panigale is a heck of a performance bike, and you probably shouldn't have one of those either. At least not yet.

Two obvious but frequently overlooked rules with bikes. Can you put your feet on the ground when stopped? Can you pick the bike up when it falls over? These are especially important for newer riders. Falling over is part of riding, especially for newer riders. You will come to a stop beside a pothole. If you can't touch your foot down, you will fall over. You'll learn.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/23/14 10:04 a.m.

You seen the youtoobes with a 100 lb woman picking up a full Harley dresser? It's about technique. Short version: Back into it and use your legs.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
7/23/14 10:44 a.m.

My advice on lids would vary depending upon which bike you went for.....either way, +1 for wanting full face. I just got reminded of the horrors an open face helmet can bring this past weekend.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
7/23/14 10:47 a.m.

I don't argue there is a lot of technique to lifting a bike. Though a Harley dresser gets to cheat somewhat because of the low center of gravity and the huge crash bar. But drop something like the above 1200GS, and I'm not sure just what you do with it. There is no rocking it half way up on the crash bar like you can a Harley dresser, it just lays there, with its saddle almost on the ground. You have to dead lift much of the weight since the bike is so tall and the engine so high.

Regardless, one should always practice and master the technique(s) for their own bike.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mzNOvTn8H2j6dnseWwIqJrP77De7xqggEyeni3pPTrPLdHUrdvUgX3aWzzk4RJWN