GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
11/19/22 12:36 p.m.

I didn't know Erik Buell is making an electric motorcycle, but considering the legacy he carries I'm considering investing in this.

Of particular note- instead of your typical hub motor based on rotational magnetic fields, it's supposedly an Axial flux motor (think of the copper windings turned onto their sides) which will make a far more powerful motor at a similar weight and with less cogging. Said Axial flux motors are rare because they're far more expensive to build- Here's one member of endless sphere who made one from scratch, and Here's another for reference- and I know of no hub motor company making one for the market; that makes me think it's entirely in-house in design. 

What's ya'lls thoughts?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/19/22 12:55 p.m.

Saw my first Buell in '85, before Daytona became trailer week!

Have been a fan of his skill ever since. 
Not at all familiar with the tech you describe (yet), but very interested to see where he takes things!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/22 1:32 p.m.

Buell is one of the most nerfed designers on the planet. Every time he comes back, I'm excited because I love his stuff, but then ask how he'll get berkeleyed over this time?

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/22 1:51 p.m.

That thing is out there in the looks department even for something coming out of Buell camp.  We'll see if he can keep this company out of the red. He's made some cool bikes and is great at racing but his track record with business is not the best. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/19/22 2:01 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

That thing is out there in the looks department even for something coming out of Buell camp.  We'll see if he can keep this company out of the red. He's made some cool bikes and is great at racing but his track record with not getting screwed by greedy bean counters is not that good.  

Fixed that for ya!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4jdPPeDHvLwOx04hZgaaZ2hYls2BD4Ah6ReBFFtS5o3UJICmfSL92elng0UcwTEt