aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
6/15/10 12:24 p.m.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of these are?

I mean, I like the idea in theory. Having an open face when you want it, but I cannot imagine riding around with the face flipped up, it looks ridiculous. Some are worse then others, but this one is just silly:

Is there some other purpose I am missing. If you are into walking around with your helmet on, I guess it would be good for going into stores. It would make it a lot easier to talk to someone when stopped, but how often does that happen. Makes it a lot easier to eat or dring while riding!?!?! (probably happens with the cruiser crowd I would guess)

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
6/15/10 12:30 p.m.

I used to think I wanted one of those, until I saw the crash pictures over on ADVRider..

alex
alex Dork
6/15/10 12:33 p.m.

They're kinda convenient. Nice in hot weather at low speeds, convenient as gas stations and such, or talking to other riders in groups.

We liked 'em at the shop for test riding service bikes, since you can hear more while you're riding, then flip down the chin bar when you're done. Or yell at the mechanics for forgetting something stupid that almost kills you before you take off your helmet when you get back to the shop...

I wouldn't wear one in a terribly high risk environment.

This would be my choice (and I like Shark helmets across the board):

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/15/10 12:48 p.m.

Convenience. I don't think you're suposed to run around with your flip up up.

alex
alex Dork
6/15/10 12:55 p.m.

Down or up, they're really not gonna be too much good in a crash.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
6/15/10 1:50 p.m.

'nuff said

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Dork
6/15/10 3:34 p.m.

I own one and like it.

The convenience factor comes in when you need to get off the bike to do something. Normally you'll have to get off, take off your gloves, remove helmet, perform action, put back on helmet, put back on gloves. Having a flip-up removes quite a few steps from that equation. It allows you to stay in your gear and still be able to go in a store, converse with non-helmetted folks, take a quick leak, drink some water, etc.

Don't be hatin!

Mine is an HJC if I remember correctly.

teamdixonracing
teamdixonracing Dork
6/15/10 4:43 p.m.

I have a Nolan flip up helmet. Part of the convenience for me is that it's less of a hassle to put the helmet on and off when you have glasses. I like mine.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/15/10 5:35 p.m.

+1 with glasses, and the flip down shades are also very nice, no stopping to mess with sunglasses/clip-ons ect.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
6/16/10 8:24 a.m.

Yeah, most people I know who have them wear glasses. You don't ride around with it flipped up, that would be kind of like driving around in your car with the doors open.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
6/16/10 8:35 a.m.

Well, you can get flip down shades in a Schuberth S1, too...

They're very convenient if you're wearing glasses, but they tend to be rather noisy.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 Reader
6/16/10 5:29 p.m.

They also seem to be popular with the motorcycle cops, and I can see why: a little bit more protection than an open face, but still fairly easy to converse with a driver you've just pulled over.

knb13
knb13 New Reader
6/17/10 8:50 a.m.

I don't really see it as a hassle to remove gloves, remove helmet, and I'm good to go. What... 20/30 seconds at most?

But to each his own.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Dork
6/17/10 9:51 a.m.
knb13 wrote: I don't really see it as a hassle to remove gloves, remove helmet, and I'm good to go. What... 20/30 seconds at most? But to each his own.

It's not such a big deal if you're riding for hours at a clip. If you're in the city and using your bike for commuting it can be a pain.

Let's say you're going from your house to work. Then, as the bike warms up you remember you have to get gas.

With that scenario you will remove and put on your gloves and helmet at least four times. After that I'm willing to at least give a flip-up a try. It's not a tremendous hard ship. I've only owned non-flip full face helmets before. But I'm willing to try something new and see how I like it.

Also, I'm not hating on anyone for their helmet choice. Like you said, to each his own.

Oh, no Vrod here. Just an old stinky 01 Buell S3T.

Our Preferred Partners
RB3KeqsAus0BKsdiBiThJcntnavz0bDkpbruZgDI0xfNVk1v3X3hZZRhSTfYmiw2