slefain
slefain UltimaDork
4/3/23 5:24 p.m.

Business across the street tossed this to the curb last night:

Seems to be a Vivi MT20: https://viviebikes.com/products/vivi-mt20-step-through-folding-electric-cruiser-bike

Front fork is tweaked hard:

No key, missing front wheel. Battery is in in but without the key you can't remove it. Trying to decide if I try and fix it, or strip it for parts to use on a future project.

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/3/23 10:33 p.m.

Nice score!  FWIW, the battery lock may be surprisingly easy to pick.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/4/23 2:04 a.m.

If it were me, ride on electrically propelled cooler. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
4/4/23 10:35 a.m.

Mucked about with it a little more last night. I'll try picking the lock before I drill it. The battery charging port looks a lot like the one for my escooter, so maybe I'll try it. If I can get the bike to power on that makes a big difference in how I proceed. If it won't power up, I'll just part it out.

If it was a mid-mount motor I'd have already yanked it apart and started working on mounting to a go kart frame.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
4/4/23 7:28 p.m.

Ebay air fork for $100 and ride it?

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
5/29/23 2:00 p.m.

It's alive!!!!

Today I pried the battery off it and hotwired the ignition switch. The motor still works!!!

Now to un-pretzel the front fork...somehow.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
5/29/23 3:26 p.m.

Back in business!! I took two floor jack handles, shoved them in the forks, and made a wish. It isn't perfectly straight but it works. I snagged a 20" wheel from a surplus BMX bike and took a test ride. It works! It has a throttle like a motorcycle, or you just pedal and it assists. No idea what ot do with it now.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
5/30/23 2:47 p.m.

I wouldn't trust those forks now that you've bent them back. Way cheaper to pay for a new fork than for dental work.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
5/31/23 6:24 p.m.

In reply to the_machina :

True. I'll keep an eye out for a parts bike. I need a proper front wheel too. The BMX wheel doesn't have provisions for a brake disc, and this thing needs all the braking it can get.

problemaddict
problemaddict HalfDork
6/9/23 11:54 p.m.

Google the following:

Ebike controller shunt mod

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
8/1/23 9:33 a.m.

I've now put maybe 30 miles on the bike and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. I tweaked the back brakes to have almost no slack, to the point I can lock it up (but don't). I blew out the rear tube so it now has a heavy-duty tube in it. Took it to the beach and used it like a second car. My family went to the beach in the car in the morning, I stayed at the house to work until noon. then I biked to the beach to meet up with them. Worked great.

Current plan is to keep an eye out for a used front wheel and buy a new fork once I research the specs. Otherwise it has been a solid little bike.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VXi97CwlDUbuA7nOXBfLxssgHHMHUgh8hJsDMGW0Ksfma1SrSc0tL9CfNq65ZjTU