Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/20/09 7:22 a.m.

Controversial subject.....

But I would like speakers for my helmet. All I hear is engine and wind noise now.

my setup idea is this.

I have a blackberry. running the new pandora app. :) can I get Bluetooth speakers to put in my full face helmet?

I do not want a mic or intercom setup. I will NOT answer the phone on two wheels. but riding music does appeal to me and ear buds are a pain in the ass with this helmet.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
3/20/09 10:15 a.m.

www.advrider.com has several threads in the Equipment sub-forum. Yes, speakers are available - typically have a battery/antenna module that attaches to the outside lower edge of helmet. Usually part of an intercom system, though some may be available a la carte.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
3/20/09 12:39 p.m.

In the past I've used regular headphones - I just popped the earpieces off the headband, and stuffed them in my helmet. There was enough room over my ears that they fit easily. I didn't do it enough to get around to permanently mounting them, but a couple pieces of velcro stuck to the back of each earpiece would do the trick. Running the cable down inside my coat to the walkman (yes, this was a long time ago) was the trickiest part - I can see where bluetooth headphones would be a lot nicer.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
3/20/09 1:17 p.m.

Also, check local regulations. I'm pretty sure many states frown upon using headphones. They typically have intercoms as an exception to the rule, but that doesn't do you much good if you're riding solo. There might also be goofy rules where one speaker is allowed, but not two.

Opus
Opus HalfDork
3/20/09 1:50 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: In the past I've used regular headphones - I just popped the earpieces off the headband, and stuffed them in my helmet. There was enough room over my ears that they fit easily. I didn't do it enough to get around to permanently mounting them, but a couple pieces of velcro stuck to the back of each earpiece would do the trick. Running the cable down inside my coat to the walkman (yes, this was a long time ago) was the trickiest part - I can see where bluetooth headphones would be a lot nicer.

I do the same thing, but I go a few extra steps. First, I take out the ear pads from the helmet after identifying the general location of my ear. I then remove the fabric and drill a hole through the Styrofoam (1/4 to 1/2 an inch) for sound to travel. I then back cut the foam on the helmet side to insert the speaker into. Then using Packaging tape, I hold it in place. I then run the wire out the front of the helmet near the right strap. If you can find a headphone that has a volume adjustment on the cord, that is preferable since there may be times you need to stop the sound quickly. If you need pictures, please let me know and I will take some and post them.

Legal or not, if done so it is background noise to listen to in addition to the engine and wind (sorry, no talk radio) you should not jeopardize your safety.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
3/20/09 2:03 p.m.

Ear buds can be a pain, Try the over the ear type sony makes some $9 ones that work great in helmets they sit in the ear and the plastic wraps around the ear flesh. i can still wear my glasses with out pain in my helmet with this style. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10745887

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/20/09 2:15 p.m.

Opus,

if you could take pictures, that would be fantastic.

alex
alex Reader
3/21/09 9:23 a.m.

I like a low-profile earbud, since they isolate some wind/road noise while keeping louder stuff (the engine, in my case) audible. If they tend to get pulled out of your ear when putting the helmet on (my problem), you can hold them in place in your ear with a band aid.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
3/23/09 7:25 a.m.
Opus wrote: Legal or not, if done so it is background noise to listen to in addition to the engine and wind (sorry, no talk radio) you should not jeopardize your safety.

True enough, I didn't post the law comment because I think it's a bad idea. But, if you're prone to jackassery on the bike, the headphones could be just another ticket waiting to happen (like fart cans on a Honda).

Opus
Opus HalfDork
3/25/09 10:58 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Opus, if you could take pictures, that would be fantastic.

Sorry for the delay, had pneumonia and did not go near the computer for over a week

I will post pics later today

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
3/25/09 11:39 a.m.

I have a pair of skullcandy earbuds I stick in before I put the helmet on. I point the wire up, and wrap it around the back of my ear, then wrap the cord around the neck strap on my jacket, before running it down through the jacket and out the bottom, to put my MP3 player in an outside pocket. It works great, but it is definitely a PITA to do every time, so usually only use them for longer rides.

I always wear earplugs, I could give a rat-ass about the law, my hearing is worth more than a ticket.

I pulled up to a roadblock one day, first in line, and the cop came over to talk to me when I had the MP3 player on. I couldn't hear him at all until I hit pause.

Me, "Sorry, couldn't hear you."

Officer, "Jammin' out, huh?"

Me, "Yup."

Officer, "We gotta wait while they get the trucks out up there, it'll be a couple minutes."

That was all.

Opus
Opus HalfDork
3/25/09 5:26 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Opus, if you could take pictures, that would be fantastic.

sent you message

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vwp64qXCkr3fccTOTGumhTrGGqrdUSvkajNsZTCx2O9SA5VvFXHFjPC6ogIDrvKu