manladypig
manladypig Reader
1/17/20 7:47 p.m.

Looking into buying this Dr 350 off of OfferUp that is very nearby, But I'm unsure how much to offer as it is a salvage title, here is the listing: 

https://offerup.com/item/detail/802136746/?_branch_match_id=528748235156937202

how much do you guys think it is worth? He claims in the very short description he "not sure" why it is salvage title, so a little sketchy. Obviously I will look at it thoroughly and see if there is anything to see, but what do you guys think? A little context is that I am looking to ride it on the street so the fact that it is street legal and registered is very intriguing 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/17/20 9:07 p.m.

Without knowing why it has a salvage title it's hard to say.   I suspect the seller knows why, but doesn't want to admit it.  Look it over closely for accident damage - something like a bent or cracked frame would devalue it considerably. 

manladypig
manladypig Reader
1/17/20 10:06 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Providing it doesn't have a bent or cracked frame, and is in good shape otherwise what would you say a reasonable offer would be?

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/20 10:32 p.m.

I bought a clean, complete street legal DR350 not too long ago for $1400. I've been looking at another lately, also clean, complete, street legal, and advertised at $1500 or $1800/trade for running car depending on which ad you happen to look at.

The nicest, pristine, '98-'99 (best years) low mileage, one-owner, electric-start, new tires, all-records, garaged and kept on a battery-tender, etc DR350s seem to end up around the $2800-$3500 asking range.

Non-street-legal clean runners seem to vary the most price wise, I'd say $900-$2000 asking, depending on condition.

Mechanic's special/just-needs-carb-clean non-street-legal, but non-salvage bikes seem to end up in the $400-$1000 asking range depending on rattiness/cosmetics.

I don't have data pints for salvage-title bikes.

YMMV, and your local market might be slightly different as well. Hope this helps!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
1/17/20 10:54 p.m.

With a salvage title I'd consider it a parts bike. $300-500 tops.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/20 7:54 a.m.
clutchsmoke said:

With a salvage title I'd consider it a parts bike. $300-500 tops.

This.  Maybe $600 with the nice big tank.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/18/20 7:59 a.m.

A $600 offer feels right to me too.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/20/20 6:41 a.m.

Not to thread jack, but if this has a salvage title, what would you offer (again assuming it's straight and clean)?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/d/alpharetta-honda-shadow-vt750/7057922327.html

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/20 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

I'd give that a miss - unless the bike market in Atlanta is different from most other places I've looked at bikes before, they're asking clean title money for that bike. Metric cruisers lose value faster than an ice cream sandwich left outside in summer.

I also tend to be a bit wary of bikes that have "lots of custom parts". Cruiser style bikes tend to bring out the magpie like tendencies out in people and unfortunately the market is rife with cheap tat.

While this bike is older, I think it might be a better deal - clean title, half the miles for $2k: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/d/luthersville-1995-honda-shadow-1100/7056120950.html

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
1/21/20 8:16 p.m.

Just to point out, a rebuilt title is not the same as salvage. In Ga (as well as many other states), you cannot register a bike with a salvage title, it has to be rebuilt first.

If you do buy a bike with a rebuilt title, pay what you feel is fair. It won't be worth much if you resell it, so enjoy it and ride the heck out of it.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/23/20 6:54 a.m.

In my observations a rebuilt title bike is much, much harder to sell than a car. Therefore the value is substantially less, probably below 50% of normal retail.

With the flood of available used bikes on the market there is very little incentive to buy something with a sketchy past IMO.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UlggS9mVeJNS3e2q8QD8J1era3SUlEHDx0d5Mi31GY8UVWqBaQHNOg2cYmB833jH