1 ... 3 4 5
AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/7/21 12:48 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

So...... what's the future of the parts bike.......

I've already caught myself looking up parts to rebuild it... No. no.

I'm going to bring it into work on a trailer, strip it down, then bring it home in small boxes.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/17/21 9:29 a.m.

Last week I brought the R50/5 to the 'office' and started stripping it. The next day I got sick and couldn't go back to work for a while (Isolated, had my brain swabbed, and generally felt terrible for a few days until I was cleared). Now I'm back and taking parts off when I get an hour or more of free time. While I was gone, my co-workers all had a good look and speculated about the strange old machine in the hangar.

I have always enjoyed relaxed garage time, listening to good music while I disassemble machines. I am in no hurry and can poke around and figure things out as I go. It has come apart pretty well so far and I managed to extract the whole wire harness intact while keeping all the connections in the headlight. I hope to just swap the headlight into the R60/5 and run the wires and cables from there. I may directly swap a lot of other components such as the forks and wheels after I compare the see which ones are best. I still don't see this as a true restoration of the R/60, but I want to make it right and reliable as a driver.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/17/21 4:02 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD (Forum Supporter) :

I struggle with not going to far when cleaning them up and not ever wanting to ride them. Why I try to just fix vs restore. 


AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/17/21 4:23 p.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to AAZCD (Forum Supporter) :

I struggle with not going to far when cleaning them up and not ever wanting to ride them. Why I try to just fix vs restore. 

I've been that way with my cars for a long time. ...and then I get a great deal on "just one more". I love to drive them and I love to work on them. That balance where there's ample time for both is always just "one more thing to fix" away.

At least with the bike I can make progress while I'm at work.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/2/21 10:50 p.m.


The GOAT Rally was this weekend. The XT225 was awesome. More on that later. Today I was on the bike from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm; back roads, a few rough trails, some short stretches of twisty pavement, pouring rain, and river crossings. I think my muscles will be sore when the feeling comes back. It was a good day.

ddavidv UltimaDork
5/3/21 6:36 a.m.

Ah yes, project creep.

This doesn't include the current state where it was all back together, ran for 15 minutes, and promptly lost compression on one cylinder. Heads just went back on this weekend.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/5/21 12:18 p.m.

The G.O.A.T. Rally  G.O.A.T. Rally 2021 | Facebook

This was the first big group ride that I have ever done and I really didn't know what to expect. It was a Saturday and Sunday event, planned to be about 6 to 7 hours each day including a stop for lunch. Around 75 people showed up with lots of cool bikes and gear. At first I felt out of place on my 15 year old XT225, wearing 20 year old Army pants and boots with a thrift store windbreaker. Soon, chatting with the other riders about the bikes and gear it was easy to fit in. For some, it was also their first 'rally', others had been doing it for years. The ages ranged from 20s to 70s with a surprising number of other riders in their 50s.

It was highly recommended to have a riding buddy, but I was going to break away from the ride at around 1 pm to attend my one year old granddaughter's birthday party. I decided to just tag along and trail a random group. The riding was not what I had expected. The group I trailed was going fast and not stopping for scenery or checkpoints. It was a 55 mph roller-coaster on rough dirt roads and loose gravel. If I slowed to use my navigation, I'd lose the group. No time for pictures or scenery. Keep a good line and watch out for hazards.

Suddenly there were two startled calves on the road. A black one veered just in front of me, then jumped through a barbed wire fence. I still have no idea how it made it between the wires without getting tangled or torn up. The brown one stayed just ahead for a moment, then disappeared into the brush. The group barely slowed. The leader probably didn't even notice the calves. I wondered what he was using for navigation. I let my path drift a too far to the side of the road and got into deep, loose gravel. I almost lost it, but managed to pull the bike back on line before the next corner. When the group caught up with and passed another group of about five bikes, I split off and joined with the slower group. The pace was still quick, but not as frantic as the first group I was with. I stayed with them until it was time to break away to get ready for the birthday party. It was about three hours of riding and by the end, I felt back in my old comfort zone on the bike and riding on the street. The forced pace of the ride brought back the feeling and old habits that had been dormant for most of the last 30 years.

Day two I decided that I would run my own pace. I wanted to enjoy the scenery and do some of my own navigation. If there was a group nearby to stay with great, but I felt fine riding solo now as well. Most of the riders were camping at Eagle Bluff Resort on the Illinois River. I was riding there from home about 20 minutes away. When I arrived at Eagle Bluff, everyone was already gone. I took a moment to set up my navigation and set out on the course. I was really happy to catch a group of six riders a couple minutes down the road and fell in as their trail. They had a quick pace, but not rushed. When we stopped for a pee break, I rolled ahead and checked out the lead's bike. A nice, new Yamaha Tenere 700 loaded with gear. He had a nice Garmin GPS mounted high up (in forward view) with voice nav Bluetoothed to his headphones. A much nicer set-up than my cheap tank-mounted Android tablet running Gaia GPS. Still, as we adventured on through the day, I found that my set-up, used properly, kept me on the track just as well if not better than the Garmin.

I stayed with that group for quite a while until we reached a water crossing with terrain that a few of them were hesitant to cross. After waiting a few moments with them, I waved and went on ahead solo. I enjoyed riding at my own pace, stopping occasionally to take some pictures. Around 11 am, I stopped for a quick lunch from my pack. I was on a rough trail and hoped that I could get some good pictures of the group when they caught back up. As I ate, I heard them drive by in the distance, then fade away. They had missed the turn-off. Eventually, the rumble came back. The lead rider, Don, showed up on the Tenere alone. The trail was rough and they had sent him to scout ahead. He called them on his phone and discussed the terrain and that rain was coming soon, then turned to me and said, “They're not coming, do you want to pair up and go ahead?”

For the next couple hours it was just me and Don and we had a great ride. We passed a few riders coming the other way and warned them of what was ahead and they warned us of some deep fast flowing water. When we reached the water crossing it didn't look *that* bad, but as I rode across, it really pushed the XT225 downstream and I had to pull hard to keep it straight. I'm glad that the tires kept good grip.

The rain got worse as we rode and we were both soaked, but didn't care. Eventually we reached the town of Sallisaw near I-40. I needed gas badly and Don was ready to break away to the Interstate and make his way back home. We split up and I did the rest of the route solo. I arrived home a little before 4 pm, soaking wet and a little sore. I had left home about at 8:30, traveled about 200 miles, and had been on the bike the whole time other than short stops along the way.

Through the day I realized that my XT225, weighing in at about 260 lbs wet, is a much more versatile machine than most of the modern Adventure Bikes I was riding with. Most of them had over 3x the power, but roughly twice the weight. Terrain that I could blast across with a big grin was a difficult challenge to many of them. On the highway I can only sustain 60 - 65 mph, but in most cases, that's fine. I have the 14 tooth front sprocket ready to install, but decided to wait until after the rally. It *should* give me a better low-end without changing the top-end much, but I didn't want to take my chances on a day long ride. During the full day on the bike, I had some fuel anxiety with the two gallon tank and a sore butt from the old seat. I just ordered the 4.1 Gallon Clarke gas tank and a Seat Concepts Comfort Seat . I'm sure that I'll add more accessories to the list as time goes, but for now that's a good start.

Mezzanine Dork
5/5/21 12:47 p.m.

Wow, what an event! Thanks for sharing your take on the XT225 too. I've pondered a dual sport bike, and something lighter and more nimble does have some appeal especially since my road bikes are all a bit portly. 


thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/5/21 1:00 p.m.

Sounds like you had a blast at the GOAT rally. Reading your report has me itching to get out on a long dirt ride.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/21 12:44 p.m.

The XT225 will probably rest for a week or two now before I put the new tank and seat on. Meanwhile I'm riding the R75 to work and cleaning it up when I have some spare time. It sat outside for a long time before I bought it and has corrosion starting in a few spots and needs a good detailing.

One thing that I'm not sure how to deal with is oxidized rubber. The rubber around the tach and speedometer still looks decent, but if you touch it, your hand gets black dusty residue. I suppose if I can't find a good treatment for it, spraying it with PlastiDip should seal it.

The R60 is waiting until I have a full day off available to rewire and install some of the parts that I pulled off the R50 parts bike. I found a video that is going to help a lot for getting it properly tuned. Not the best production quality, but exactly the info that I wanted to see.


1 ... 3 4 5
Our Preferred Partners