1 2
Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/6/15 7:40 p.m.

As the title says, teach me some Italian love/hate. I've noticed in the last 6-8 months of craigslist perusal that the Italian superbikes I lusted over in my early 20's, but couldn't dream of insuring due to single/male/early 20 etc, driving history. Have finally pretty much bottomed out in the depreciation curve, and therefore could be a possible check on the bucket list now that I can A. Afford one, and B. Insure it without a second mortgage/3rd job. Specifically looking at the Duc 996/998, possibly 1098 if I shop well. MAYBE 916 as these seem to be gaining value. I'm not that big of a fan of the Monster line, though the naked models do look GOOD! Aprilia RSV Mille/Mille R, or their derivatives.

What am I looking at maintenance wise? I'm looking a weekend cruiser, something to enjoy a blast through the mountains and twisty back roads we'll likely soon moving near. I worry about a super dedicated riding position having had back surgery 12 years ago, but at the same time I can't help but think about it.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
2/6/15 8:33 p.m.

The Italians are pretty reliable. I think I would give the nod to Aprilia for being more reliable.

I have some back issues, but no surgery. I can't handle more than 30 min on sport bike ergos. But then most of my riding is on straight roads with few curves (ah... Illinois). The ergos on a standard like the Tuono would be my choice.

Check out www.cycleergo.com

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/6/15 9:43 p.m.

You can ride more upright if you're going down straight lines. I spend most of my time upright or leaning on the tank.

I'd choose a MV personally, but I'm an elitest prick. The rsv4 aprilia would be my second choice before any ducati sport bike.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/7/15 8:35 a.m.

Ducati-Cool, suddenly affordable bikes after which I have lusted for decades. Finally in reach, but I,m not sure I want to deal with 3500 mile desmo-adjusting timing belt replacement. I know less about Aprilla. But, DAMN are they sexy. Make mine a 90 something 900SS half faring, or any Shiver. Or maybe I'll just buy another V-Strom, and RIDE IT.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
2/7/15 9:23 a.m.
yamaha wrote: I'd choose a MV personally, but I'm an elitest prick. The rsv4 aprilia would be my second choice before any ducati sport bike.

MV and upright position. Less then 10K used and much better service intervals.

Spinout007
2/7/15 10:16 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
yamaha wrote: I'd choose a MV personally, but I'm an elitest prick. The rsv4 aprilia would be my second choice before any ducati sport bike.
MV and upright position. Less then 10K used and much better service intervals.

DAMN that is sexy! Might have to expand my search.

toad9977
toad9977 Reader
2/7/15 10:59 a.m.

Well I have to say out of the Italian bikes I am a Ducati fan. Always have been for some reason and after purchasing my Monster (S2R 800) I have found it hard to think of not owning a Ducati. The clasic 748/916/996/998 are very cool looking bikes, have pretty much hit the bottom of the depreciation curve, and are relativly easy to work on. The problem is they are not comfortable at all to ride. I have only ridden one a short distance and can't fathom how one could live with one as a daily rider. They are also slow. I believe the 996 only made about 110hp, which is pretty comparable to power numbers of Japanese 600cc bikes of the time.

I am in the minority when i say this, but I love the 749/999 and am thinking that my be my next red bike. They are still relatively easy enough to work on from what I hear and I love the styling. They are also slightly more ergonomic than the generation it replaced. The only problem with these is an 848 makes more power than the 999r, and is way cheaper.

The 848/1098 is nice, makes a lot more power and are still nice to look at. Maintenance is going to be a little more involved. Special valve adjustment tools are needed but I hear it is pretty easy to work around those for valve adjustments. They are now also creeping down to reasonable prices. In WI I have seen some early 848's going for around $7500 and 1098's in the $9k range. Although it also seems like most of these for sale are at or near their service intervals. Not sure if that has anythign to do with it...

In regards to maintenance, they are a little more involved and parts a little more expensive, but compared to the Japanese brands the cost of maintenance is pretty similar. I rarely see Hondas/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawis with in depth service history that the Italian bikes have, and if you look at the owners manuals of those bikes they are on par with the Italians for timing belts/valve adjustments for price and the service intervals.

Anyway, get what you want. MV's, Aprillia's and Ducati's are all awesome and All have great character. IF you think the MV Brutale is sweet, check out the Ducati Streetfighter 848. Very similar. Although MV is pretty awesome as far as warrantying defects from the factory where Ducati really isn't, and triples sound pretty wicked.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/7/15 11:12 a.m.

In reply to toad9977:

The 996 is supposed to have north of 65ft/lb of torque, cuts a ~10.7 second 1/4 mile time, and 0-60 mph is about 2.7 seconds. And you're calling it slow?

Maintenance is a funny thing with bikes. I avoided Ducati when I was shopping for my first "real bike" and ended up with a VFR800. Whoops. I still haven't done a valve adjustment on the thing since I don't feel like pulling cams multiple times to set valve lash. Something I'll research better next time.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/7/15 11:17 a.m.

I don't know anything about them really except that I kinda want a Monster 696 from somewhere around '07/'08 and an Aprilla SXV450 Supermoto from the same time frame for absolutely no reason except I think they look like a lot of fun around town and twisties. I'm sure there are reasons I am completely wrong ... so I'll read this thread to find out!

'08 Monster in some other color than RED

2007 SVX450

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/7/15 11:23 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Maintenance is a funny thing with bikes. I avoided Ducati when I was shopping for my first "real bike" and ended up with a VFR800. Whoops. I still haven't done a valve adjustment on the thing since I don't feel like pulling cams multiple times to set valve lash. Something I'll research better next time.

I did 30k miles on my VFR 750 without a valve adjustment because it ran well, wasn't ticking like crazy and it looked like a really annoying job. Every oil change I'd consider it and just ... next time. "Next time" came when I sold it the new owner. He had it serviced at the dealer and they did it. It's still going strong - I ran into him over the summer and he loves the thing. I kinda miss it myself.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/7/15 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Nice thing about a VFR750 is gear driven cams. My 800 VTEC has a chain. So now you have Honda's stupid hydraulic chain adjusters that don't work so well after a few years of use along with a chain to deal with while pulling cams to do the adjustment. I've got 55k on my bike and have no interest in doing a valve adjustment.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
2/7/15 1:07 p.m.

I think before you buy any Italian bike you should look into issues with plastic tanks and what years/models had them. This affects both Ducati's and Aprilia's to my knowledge.

Then for Ducati's there are definitely things you should know before you buy any 4-valve "Desmoquatro" bikes (only the 996 of the models you listed). Again some years/models were affected and other were not. I seem the remember there was some problem with rocker arms.

I'm happy with my Ducati, but I got one with a metal tank and 2-valve aircooled engine for a reason.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
2/7/15 6:04 p.m.

IF you are going to go Italian and you have the cash to spend I can think of nothing better then this in terms of pure investment + fun.

or less cash and no possible investment.

Spinout007
2/7/15 8:04 p.m.

Thanks for the wisdom guys. I'll have to keep this stuff in mind. Especially the thought about investment + fun.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/8/15 12:59 a.m.

I don't see too many Harley/Honda/Triumph, etc... getting their bike's valve train tattooed on. Ducatisti make Harley fans look like tire kickers. There must be a reason...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
2/8/15 1:09 a.m.

Yes, a system so overcomplicated that even the Germans won't use it.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
2/8/15 1:17 p.m.

I have had an Aprilia and 4 Ducatis after lots if Honda and Yamaha super bikes. sure maintenance is more, but to me it is worth it. I never had to do any valve adjustments on the Japanese bikes, but I always sold them around the 15k mile mark. I currently have 2 2007 Ducatis, a 1098 for my wife and a S4Rs monster for me (with the 999 superbike motor). Older 916 models had electrical issues but they still had 7,500 mile valve service. Newer bikes have longer service intervals.

As far as a 916 being slow, there is no way that that anyone could use all that on the street anyway.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
2/8/15 5:57 p.m.

My 99 ST4 has a 4 valve 916 motor and while it has FBF carbon cans and a UltiMap chip even stock it was far from slow.

One of the best forums I've found not a bunch of idiots but real people who tend to provide real honest help and work on there own stuff with guidance of other members. I know of one guy who needed his belt change and was worried so he had a change the belts weekend and 14 guys showed up with bikes and tools to help him and other do the belts, Check the valve lash, tune the TPS and tune the EFI. GRM of bikes. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/8/15 8:24 p.m.

I just dislike the rattly clutch most Duc's have......always sounds like something is wrong. And I hate the stereotypical owners....the MV and Aprilia guys I've met are all cool.

And FWIW, possibly the biggest jump in values the last 2 years has been clean low milage '04-5 10r's. They are living legends these days however.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
2/9/15 9:14 a.m.

The Aprilia RSV Mille is the best handling bike I've ridden - more like a track bike than a street bike. Great feedback from the bars. They are mechanically very durable but electrically delicate. The starters and sprag clutches don't last long if the battery voltage is ever low. A LiFePO4 battery helps a lot.

rotard
rotard Dork
2/9/15 1:16 p.m.

I've loved my Aprilia Tuono Factory. The Rotax engine is awesome, handling is sublime, it's fun and the extra goodies on it make me tingly.

You should also check out the Honda RC51 if you're looking at the 996, Mille, etc.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/9/15 1:39 p.m.

In reply to rotard:

RVT as well. Just beware of the fireblades and the rap you'll gain from riding one to gatherings....Around here, they'll usually just ask where your boyfriend is and why he isn't on the back.

Spinout007
2/9/15 3:29 p.m.

LOL I had a 900RR back in the day when the Euro model was called a Fire Blade. Before an old blue hair with no license and insurance ran over it.... Miss that bike. Head work and race cam's REALLY woke that bike up.

RC-51 has been on radar since the first time I saw pre-production photos. I drool every time I see one in the wild.

The Italians just intrigue me a lot right now with those "super models" getting into my price range.

carbon
carbon Dork
2/10/15 10:16 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Yes, a system so overcomplicated that even the Germans won't use it.

Ducati IS those germans

carbon
carbon Dork
2/10/15 10:35 p.m.

I've got a ducati monster 796 (in silk frost pearl), a TL1000r, and my dads got an rc51 that I ride regularly. I like the tiller best, then the RC then the duck. The tl is way comfier than the other two, has a better power delivery, and better noise. The rc fit and finish is nice and it's a pretty good track toy, it's WAY stiff for the road. The monster feels the most exotic, handles awesome, and gets a lot of attention but has been less than reliable, has expensive, frequent services. All are good bikes, for different reasons. Moral of my story is, check out a tl1000r, they're hugely underrated and can be had really cheap.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mPCQnbxfcjMOa5M1afTqcK99Ht0vmqIuBbQXPr5JPInVkGICSSBYz4496Q8UORUu