Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
8/31/20 10:46 a.m.

so i've recently been looking at tubeless tire conversions and have found that my rims are tubeless compatible. what goes into a conversion?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/31/20 10:53 a.m.

Most modern tires are tubeless ready.  It's usually just a matter of installed a tubeless valve (like a set of these), adding some sealant (Stan's is the popular brand, but there are others) in the tire and pumping it up until the bead seats with a "pop".  Some tire/rim combos are easier than others.  Like when seating an automotive tire, a bead lubricant helps. Soapy water is the budget version.  Often an air compressor is needed to get enough air volume into the tire fast enough to get the bead to seat on the rim.

Check to make sure the rim tape is still intact after a tire has been on/off a couple of times.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/31/20 12:25 p.m.

Some rims use special rim tape or equivalent as well. The "Tubeless Ready" wheels on both my most recent Trek bikes were hold new with tubes. They needed their proprietary plastic snap-in rim liner in addition to the tubeless valves mentioned above. Not a big deal, they were cheap and snapped right in.

Seating tubeless tires can be a huge PITA or not too bad, depending on the combo. Be aware that sealant wears out and needs to be changed out every season or two, or it won't seal. Just FYI.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/31/20 4:00 p.m.

I looked into this at some point and decided not to go for it, but during my research I read that you can still seat them even if you don't have a compressor. Google: diy tubeless seating for more info.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
10/16/20 4:49 p.m.

Gorilla Tape goes tightly and seamlessly around the rim.  Test inflation without sealant first; this also helps to set the bead when you do add disgusting sealant.  MTBR forums have covered this in endless depth.  I found that the best solutions to common flats (goathead punctures and pinch flats) lie in the following:  1.  Don't live where goathead thorns are common; 2.  Don't suck and slam your wheels into things as though your bike is a trophy truck.  Pick that E36 M3 up.  Learn to wheelie and bunnyhop.  Pick your lines.

I will most definitely get a flat the next time I ride my bike, because karma . . .

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/17/20 8:46 a.m.

Curious....  what is the advantage?    

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/17/20 12:38 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) :

Of tubeless?  

More flat resistant.

Rolls better (not having the tube rub against the inside of the tire allows the tire to conform easier with less resistance).

Allows running lower pressures for more grip on the trail or road surface.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
10/19/20 10:32 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

wheelie i can kinda do. bunny hop is a definite no. i can't even figure out what i am doing wrong...

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/29/20 2:19 a.m.

In reply to Dieselboss15 :

wheelie doesn't have to be riding a wheelie and can be limited to just getting your front wheel up and over an obstacle... on the street get that up over the curb... and then unweight the rear tire and let it follow you up... 

bunnyhopping is a modified wheelie pop and then kinda pushing forward on the bars while it's in the air...  if you have clipless it makes it much easier to cheat assuming you have them set neural enough and tight enough that you aren't going to pop out while lifting with your legs... 

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
11/30/20 9:46 a.m.
donalson said:

In reply to Dieselboss15 :

wheelie doesn't have to be riding a wheelie and can be limited to just getting your front wheel up and over an obstacle... on the street get that up over the curb... and then unweight the rear tire and let it follow you up... 

bunnyhopping is a modified wheelie pop and then kinda pushing forward on the bars while it's in the air...  if you have clipless it makes it much easier to cheat assuming you have them set neural enough and tight enough that you aren't going to pop out while lifting with your legs... 

my face turned green just thinking about that

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m2ZSden9Xr35ONfJtlKbSDl6oJZMemhKqzRpmvD2dWHVBjIzYYuEHGHTDZXfRm8i