Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
4/2/21 10:40 p.m.

It's time to find a new owner for my '07 Versys 650 and replace it with something different...for roughly the money I get for the Versys.  I've been riding on the street for about 30 years.  Most of my riding is commuting to work or just getting out for pleasure rides.  Occasionally one of my kids comes along for the ride as well which means I need a rear seat.  Typically once or twice a year I'll get away for a weekend ride with friends.  I'm not a really aggressive rider but want a bike that is still sporty.  Here's what i'm considering so far so any feedback on these or suggestions of other bikes would be great. 

Aprilia Shiver 750 

BMW F800ST

Honda CB599

Honda CB919

Kawsaki Z750

Suzuki Bandit 650

Yamaha FZ6

Yamaha YZF600R

Thanks for your input!

I like everything on your list, save the Bimmer. It has strange TORX fasteners everywhere, and just that weird 3D printed feel that new instant cameras have. Just-Unnatural in some way. Your Results May Vary.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/21 8:41 a.m.

I have vague memories of some issue with the Aprilia when they first came out. Can't remember what it was or if it was a big deal or not. I just remember being pretty excited about it until they started to hit the street & then taking them off the potential ownership list.

Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
4/3/21 10:28 a.m.

Interesting...both the Aprilia and the BMW were the bikes I would say are on the bubble for me.  At this point in life I put a high value on reliability.  I'm busy with kids and other responsibilities so when I have time to ride I want the bike to be good to go.

The BMW seems like there's complexity I don't need or want to deal with.  One in my budget will be at the lower end too so perhaps not the best example.  That said, a friend has offered me his as a test so we'll see how that goes.

I don't know much about the Aprilia but it's good to know there were some issues early on.  My price range would be an early bike.  Again, probably more electronics and limited parts availability may mean headaches I don't need.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/21 10:35 a.m.

Regarding BMWs pretty much since the early 2000s - a lot of them require dealer-only software to service them properly (for example, to do an ABS flush that really needs to be done by the book to avoid expensive paperweights). I'd check if that is the case with the ST as well, especially if you don't have a BMW dealership near you.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
4/3/21 11:20 a.m.

I only have experience with the FZ6. Mine had 40k on it and ran like a top, it needed basically nothing during my ownership. It was fast, competent and comfortable. I liked it but never really clicked with it if that makes sense. 
I put racetech spring in the forks and FZ1 bars on it. It's a solid, if not inspiring, choice. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/3/21 12:34 p.m.

You should add to your list Triumph Tiger 1050. I sold my 2007 w/ 20k miles a year ago for $3k. I just wasn't riding it enough. The 3 cylinder engine is SO good. 

Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
4/3/21 1:12 p.m.

The FZ6 has always looked interesting to me.  Did you find it buzzy at highway speed?  I've seen that feedback from some.

Tigers around here seem to be a little pricier than that.  I'm in Canada so prices are generally higher across the board.  Being short the Tiger may be a little tall for me too but I'll keep an eye out if one comes up.

The CB599 and 919 have always been high on my list but i've never ridden either.  Anyone with experience on either of these?  I like the small size and low weight of the 599 but am concerned I would regret not having the bigger engine for more relaxed highway riding, but maybe i'm wrong.  Before the Versys I had a Ninja 650 and did many long days on it and found it to be fine for my riding style.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
4/3/21 9:59 p.m.

Honestly I avoided freeways around here as much as possible (Los Angeles, you're getting run off of the road at less than 75mph). The bar end mirrors were unusable but that's the norm I hear. Additionally, my bike was bought crashed and I made it a naked bike. I was never really comfortable on the freeway but that was more due to cars and wind. The bike was fine I think but it was a pretty violent type of riding to my senses. In other words, maybe idk. But it wasn't a limiting factor for me. 
Overall the bike is great value. 100hp detuned R6 motor in a more relaxed chassis. And around here they are cheap. I think it was a great bike and I would recommend it to anyone unless you're someone who likes a lot of character and personality. If youre illogically drawn to Italian bikes you won't be a big fan of the FZ6 imo. 

edit: old coworker had a 919 he absolutely loved. Don't know much more than that. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/3/21 10:08 p.m.

I have not ridden nor worked on any of the bikes you mention so I won't be sharing opinions.  A question that might help you find good answers; why are selling the Versys? 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/4/21 1:52 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

Remember , bimmer's have 4 wheels.  But I know nothing about a beemer that new, or any of the others he mentioned. Anything new enough to need dealer software to work on doesn't need to be in my world!

Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
4/4/21 8:03 p.m.

pre589 - That's a wise point you make.  For me the Versys has been disappointing in a few areas...suspension (feels like 2 settings, bone jarring or mushy), power delivery (not very smooth), unstable on unpaved roads (my previous bikes were far more stable feeling yet this is the only one that claims any 'adventure bike" intentions) and really turbulent air flow at highway speed despite trying the windshield in all positions.

03Panther - I'm with you.  I like a bike that is simple and low tech.  Maybe if my budget allowed for a new bike i'd be more open to it but as long as i'm buying an older bike I don't want to risk having to deal with repairing that.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/4/21 9:31 p.m.

I think you want a 5th gen VFR but honestly I think most people want 5th gen VFR's even if they don't realize it. 

Wind on some bikes is such a pain to "fix" and what works for one rider may not for the next.  I'm dealing with that on my Z900rs.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/21 9:38 p.m.

Re the BMW software - there is a dingle/software combo called GS911 that is supposed to work on pretty much all modern BMWs so it looks like you don't have to find a copy of the dealer diagnostics anymore.

Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
4/5/21 10:03 p.m.

A 5th gen VFR is tough to argue with.  It does seem to check a lot of boxes.  It lacks the light, nimble "tossabilty" of the CB599 but would definitely do a better job on long stretches of highway and weekend getaways.

Reading about VFR's now has me thinking about the CBR600F4i.  Am I wrong to think a CBR would have the fun factor of the smaller bikes but also be a decent sport-tourer for weekend trips?

spandak
spandak HalfDork
4/6/21 11:25 p.m.

Ohh those are tempting. I'm more drawn to the 6th Gen but I don't know why. The fairing/headlights are uglier than the 5th but I like the tail/pipes more. 
It might be my next bike. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zVLwbjnWBrpxTtIwWG2Yan0LgpER05g9EEhzE136pf3M6lCg5PneJqipynMWF8hM