1 2 3 4
nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
1/8/17 4:07 a.m.

Looking good, nice work. I rode a mid 70's CB360 for a summer 20-some years ago. They are easy to learn on and mine was dead reliable with just basic maintenance.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/8/17 5:05 p.m.

Last part of the frame annnnnd I ran out of paint. Damn.

Waiting on the new fasteners, but then this is ready to go back in. I think the carbs will need a deeper cleaning than the stern glance I gave them. Going to replace all the fuel lines as well.

I did end up removing a couple pieces of the engine, wet color sanding and then doing a bit of respray to smooth things out further. Not a massive difference visually, but they feel nicer to the touch.

I spent quite a long time polishing up the valve adjustment covers. They're sanded down to 1,500 grit.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
1/8/17 8:42 p.m.

Hope you clear coated those caps they corrode up fast. As for carbs you can't get them to clean but be sure to remove the diaphragm slide before you solvent anywhere near them. I'm hoping to have a ultra sound heated cleaning unit soon...

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/8/17 8:57 p.m.

Does simple green count as solvent?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
1/9/17 9:24 p.m.

Simple green should be okay. You may want to see if this guy makes new ones. http://jbmindustries.com/

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/10/17 8:16 a.m.

Oh I can readily get new ones, just don't want to if I don't have to.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/11/17 7:29 a.m.

Grabbed another 3 hours in the shop after work last night.

The engine is curing nicely. Another couple days and I'll be able to give it a light buff. Quite happy with the finish already though:

All the engine mounts, battery box and inner and outer fenders are done. Some things have started going back on the frame, which got 2 coats of satin clear. The general rule of thumb is frame components are satin black and things that move or make power are gloss black. The plastics and tank will be dark metallic green. I think it will be a good color combo.

Rear brake. I need a larger pair or snap ring pliers to get the rear sprocket off and clean things up. The spokes on the rear wheel are rusty to the point where I'm just going to degrease, scuff, prime and paint. Again gloss black. Maybe new wheels sometime down the road.

New rectifier/voltage regulator should be here soon as well as the new engine case hardware. I'm replacing bolts on the frame where it makes sense with stainless steel allen head bolts. DEI black header wrap came in today as well. Muffler is in very good shape and will be unmolested. The rest.... isn't.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/11/17 8:34 a.m.

I don't really have an interest in riding motorcycles, but damn if this thread doesn't make me want to restore one!

Great work!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/11/17 9:29 a.m.

It's a fun and very relaxing project, which is exactly what I needed as a respite from the RX7.

Bikes, especially older ones, are so simple and easy to work on. Even if you just restore and flip I would do it. No riding needed (though it really is most excellent).

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
1/11/17 1:03 p.m.

Dave. Did you get youe electronics from Oregon motor cycle parts?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/11/17 1:09 p.m.

I used Common Motor

They seem to specialize in two-cylinder Hondas from the 70's.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/12/17 7:32 a.m.

Did a quick color sand on the rear brake housing and then cleared it:

Meanwhile the rear end of the bike continues to come together:

I have a new tap and die set coming today so I can chase some threads before bolting things up completely. New engine case bolts should be delivered today as well. I already had some stainless allen heads around and I've been using them up where I can. I'll have to order more.

Managed to salvage the old stickers

minimac
minimac SuperDork
1/12/17 7:53 a.m.

That's coming along quite nicely! Have you considered powder coating the spokes and rims? Even a quick bead blasting might add a "splash".

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/12/17 8:19 a.m.

To do it "right" I'd have to unlace each wheel and send it out, then get it re-laced and trued. That's adding expense I don't want right now.

Brand new wheels will likely happen before I spend $200/wheel restoring these and I've already been investigating options.

Until then, vinegar soak, sand, prime and epoxy paint is the plan.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/13/17 6:51 a.m.

I hate heat wrapping exhaust parts, but this wasn't too bad. Have to let it dry overnight (applied wet to get it tight) and then it gets silicone spray for longevity.

New tap and die set came yesterday and new stainless steel hardware comes today. Time to start chasing threads and really getting into reassembly mode.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/16/17 8:05 a.m.

MMO is magical when combined with a little elbow grease Before:

After

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
1/16/17 8:14 a.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Those wraps came out really great.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/16/17 8:22 a.m.

Speaking of elbow grease:

Disassembly, cleanup and replacement continues.

Made this unhappy discovery. Should I get it welded or source a replacement? It's the front axle retainer.

And finally - no more JIS screws.

All stainless. Most of the bolts on the frame have also been replaced with stainless allen heads.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/16/17 8:36 a.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

plus for allen heads

SS FTW

nice work there

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/16/17 9:57 a.m.

I love the look of SS on black paint.

New purchases coming: A second wiring harness, which will be gutted, modernized and simplified

A metric E36 M3 ton of clear heat shrink for the above wiring project

New modern ATO fuse box with a couple extra circuits for heater grips and USB phone charger

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/17/17 12:27 a.m.

MMO? What's That? Cause I need some for the Murdercycle's pipes.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/17/17 7:23 a.m.

Marvel Mystery Oil - AKA Frank's Hotsauce of the Shop

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/17/17 7:50 a.m.

Putting this here for future reference:

CB/CJ 360

Carb # 745B

Venturi Bore 28mm

Main Jet Primary #68 Secondary #68

Air Jet Primary #150 Secondary #50

Pilot Air Jet #85

Pilot Jet #35

Pilot Screw (turns out) 1

Float Level 18.5mm or .73"

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/18/17 7:31 a.m.

SWMBO put about 4 hours into cleaning up the rear wheel. The chrome spokes will never look fantastic, but they're passable now from 5 feet. New wheels are a problem for future Dave.

Since the wheel reached "Gud nuff" status, it went back on the bike. I tried to clean up the rear shocks as much as I could. They'll be replaced shortly.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/18/17 7:34 a.m.

On the other end of the bike, things are coming back together as well.

I don't think the head bearings had ever been serviced. The grease was really nasty and it took some cleaning to get the bearings looking good again. Fresh Timken bearing grease and it's all be together.

The forks cleaned up pretty well too. I'll be changing the oil in them once the fresh belray arrives.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TAJMAoC0IPouGnjgtIUCRb5SHNtGGrhiwHe3Mo43CVZ0Lu1Knk5AzUYk1HfqRy7T