1 2 3 4
jpod999
jpod999 Reader
8/23/09 7:14 p.m.

So your budget is $200, you spent probably around $25 on frame/fork and paint so that leaves you with $175 to play with. I would try to find a used wheelset on Craigslist/ebay, it has a bottom bracket so you are going to need cranks, chainring, cog, chain, stem, bars, brake/brake caliper/cable, saddle/seatpost, and I can't tell from the pictures but maybe a seatpost clamp. Hopefully you have some of that stuff around the house that you can scrounge up to help out with the budget.

These wheels actually look like a pretty good deal for the price, and they're black to match the bike.: http://cgi.ebay.com/Fixed-Gear-Track-Wheelset-High-Flange-Alex-R-450-B_W0QQitemZ380145173596QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item58826b045c&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ht_5852wt_1208

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
8/23/09 7:35 p.m.

Great!

More info: The bottom bracket is toast, so I need a whole crankset. I can get free chain, I have bars, I probably have all of the brake stuff, and it uses a quill type seatpost.

So, I need: The wheels you linked to

A rear sprocket (sorry, don't know any bike terms)

Crankset w/ chainring

Seat/seat post

stem

Is that everything?

Tommy Suddard
8/23/09 7:49 p.m.

Wow, shipping for that wheelset is $50! How do these look? They come with a cog and lockring, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLACK-VUELTA-TRACK-FIXED-GEAR-BIKE-WHEELSET-700C_W0QQitemZ380148267556QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item58829a3a24&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Tommy Suddard
8/23/09 7:57 p.m.

Ok, wheels are taken care of.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
8/23/09 8:17 p.m.

You pick up those Vueltas? Sorry man, I didn't see that the shipping was $50...that's ridiculous.

I think there's a couple of different kinds of bottom brackets so you are going to have to figure out which you have. What do you mean by quill type seatpost, I've never heard of that type?

I would buy clips/straps too (http://www.bikepedaling.com/images/toeclips.jpg), these are pretty much what I run but that's because I'm cheap. A lot of people use metal double clips with double straps, I just haven't ponied up the money for that. Run that 16T on that wheelset for a while and see how you like it, adjust ratios according to that.

Rear sprocket = cog

Spend some time one sheldon browns site, every time I go there I learn something new. Hope I'm helping!

Tommy Suddard
8/24/09 4:35 p.m.

Yep, I picked up those wheels. I've got pedals taken care of. Now I need a bottom bracket and crankset. I'll figure out what kind I need.

Carson
Carson Dork
8/24/09 6:03 p.m.

The spindle length on the bottom bracket will depend on the crankset, the bottom bracket size you need is a 68x(whatever crank you choose will determine this.) 68mm=English thread. You can email me if you need me to go into further details, run you some prices, anything...

Tommy Suddard
8/24/09 6:48 p.m.

Thanks. I'll take it apart this weekend and measure everything. I'm in no hurry.

Tommy Suddard
8/27/09 4:49 p.m.

Ok, what goes in this hole? I took the bottom bracket apart today, and it was a mess. I was no longer surprised it had 1/4" of movement in all directions. Now, I need a new one. The diameter is 1.35", it is threaded on each end (passenger side is reverse thread) (do bikes have a passenger side?), and if you are looking at the bike like it is going to hit you, the bottom is 2.675" wide. Here are more pics. If you know what you're looking at, could you post an ebay link or something? I need a crank set, too.

Tommy Suddard
8/27/09 4:52 p.m.

Oh, and why are all of my pictures different sizes?

Tommy Suddard
8/27/09 6:23 p.m.

The wheels just came in. Here's a pic. I think I'm going to paint the rims flat black.

Carson
Carson Dork
8/27/09 6:30 p.m.

The bottom bracket spindle length is irrelevant, that will be dependent on the crankset you go with, the important measurements you've determined are the bottom bracket shell width and threads. You need an English threaded bottom bracket and the width is 68mm.

Carson
Carson Dork
8/27/09 6:35 p.m.

Something like this is pretty low buck but it'll work out fine for you. This crank length (170) will be alright for you as well. Most true track bikes have shorter cranks and some people prefer them on their fixed so they don't hit the ground when you lean through a turn (since you can't coast).

These cranks use a 110 spindle so the bottom bracket you'll need is a 68x110 square taper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-TRACK-FIXED-GEAR-ROAD-BIKE-CRANKS-CRANKSET-170MM_W0QQitemZ350241987237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518c0c9aa5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If you want something really low buck, go into your local bike shop and have them order you a RPM branded bottom bracket. It should run you maybe $10.

Carson
Carson Dork
8/27/09 6:49 p.m.

I just logged on to one of my distributors, the least expensive bb I can get is a Shimano UN26. It's $11.99. It comes in your length and is a sealed cartridge bb (almost all modern ones are).

Tommy Suddard
8/27/09 7:13 p.m.

The rear cog uses 1/8" chain, so I need a front crankset to match. What do you think of this? Will the bottom bracket you suggested work with it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EIGHTHINCH-FIXED-GEAR-TRACK-CRANK-CRANKSET-160MM-WHITE_W0QQitemZ200360663198QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea66d189e&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_2151wt_941

Carson
Carson Dork
8/27/09 8:02 p.m.

Those need a shorter BB spindle length. 103mm, that size is much less common and more expensive. Also 160mm cranks are going to be a little short, I wouldn't go smaller than 165mm, you'll have less and less torque as your crank length gets shorter.

Although maybe ideal, you don't have to have a 1/8" chainring up front, a 3/32" will be fine.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
8/27/09 8:06 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: I think I'm going to paint the rims flat black.

This is just personal preference (read as: build to fit you not me) but I love those rims and think I would leave them as the focal point of the bike.

Tommy Suddard
8/27/09 8:11 p.m.

Ok, they're growing on me the more I look at it. I'll try to keep the rest black, though.

Carson, you obviously know what you're talking about. Is it okay to run 1/8" chain on a 3/32" gear, or should I keep looking for a 1/8" crankset? Also, where would I get that Shimano bottom bracket? Do you take PayPal?

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
8/27/09 8:15 p.m.

Yeah those rims look pretty sick as they are.

160 cranks are too short. I would probably go with 165s for a conversion. Don't get to worried about finding a 1/8th chainring, like Carson said a 3/32 ring will work just fine, that's the way my FG came.

12 bucks for a bottom bracket is pretty cool, that'll be nicer than running an old one.

You should also get some bar tape. Running bare metal SUCKS!!!

Tommy Suddard
8/27/09 8:19 p.m.

I've got a friend with plenty of free bar tape (and bars!), and a garage full of bike stands and tools.

How do these cranks look? They come with a bottom bracket.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-S300-TRACK-FIXED-GEAR-CRANK-165mm-w-GXP-CRANKSET_W0QQitemZ290343825780QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4399d73174&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

Carson
Carson Dork
8/27/09 8:22 p.m.

Yep, you can run a 3/32" cog, 3/32" chain, 3/32" chainring; 1/8" cog, 1/8" chain, 3/32" chainring; 3/32" cog, 1/8" chain, 3/32" chainring; 3/32" cog, 1/8" chain, 1/8" chainring; or 1/8" cog, 1/8" chain, 1/8" chainring.

Your local bike shop can order you that bb, just go in and ask for a 68x110 Shimano UN24. They might even have it in stock. Haha, I don't accept PayPal and I suggest you support your local shop. It's hard for us little bike shops to compete with the likes of eBay, etc. Support us so we will be around to support you!

Carson
Carson Dork
8/27/09 8:28 p.m.

Those SRAMs are really decent cranks. Good price too.

One thing you'll probably have to do with your frame to run a modern bottom bracket in that frame is to chase the threads. Modern BBs have a much longer threaded section so likely the old threads will have paint or corrosion in the shell where the older BB never touched them.

Tommy Suddard
8/27/09 8:47 p.m.

Ok, I'll go over them, and order those SRAMs. Thanks for the help, That's the last of the major parts. Now for the nickel and dimeing!

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
8/28/09 11:09 a.m.
Carson said: I suggest you support your local shop. It's hard for us little bike shops to compete with the likes of eBay, etc. Support us so we will be around to support you!

+1 One of the best things you can do is pick out ONE good bike shop and get to know the guys there really well. I can't tell you how many times I would just give away old components we had laying around that we couldn't sell to the general public (like bottom brackets and cranks) to regulars because they were good guys and I wanted to see them finish the cool bike they were building. Talk to them about your project, show it to them when you are done, maybe let one of the guys ride it around the block and you will have a loyal bike shop for life that will help you in any way they possibly can.

Love the project by the way, those wheels are a nice touch.

Tommy Suddard
8/28/09 2:04 p.m.

Thanks, that's good advice. I still know the guys at our shop from my BMX days.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JiYkBcfNcXW8mY78NkaTAVJ41lMH1ZL5HxXjnWwPQYvySjvMhvAq94VGnddl0UIP