1 2
gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/22 8:24 p.m.
mfennell said:
gunner (Forum Supporter) said:

I agree with both metrics, but my current D-1 is a total of one although Mrs Gunner has expressed real interest in a scooter but not less than 250cc. So there is hope.

My wife has expressed interest in a scooter for herself.  Am I a hypocrite for being completely against the idea?  She had a motorcycle years ago.  A one-year-import Yamaha SRX250.  Air cooled single cylinder sportbike.  She took the MSF course but never really internalized countersteering and I was not convinced that she had the hyper-awareness required to remain safe over the long term.  I was relieved when she stopped riding it.  Vehicles have only become bigger and her eyesight worse in the 20 years since.

Well, based on your concern for her safety I don't think a hypocrite. I would bring up your concerns to her. Perhaps she has grown and is willing to learn more about riding safer. Maybe she sees you having a great time riding and wants to try it out again. It's worth discussing over dinner I think.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
2/28/22 8:27 p.m.

Consider just riding with her on the dirt with her - no cars or pedestrians or concrete to hit or get hit by. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/28/22 9:25 p.m.
gunner (Forum Supporter) said:

I have heard a new metric which I believe was thought up by the folks at the Motorcycles and Misfits podcast that is D-1. Which is the number of motorcycles you own should be one less than causes your significant other to divorce you. I agree with both metrics, but my current D-1 is a total of one although Mrs Gunner has expressed real interest in a scooter but not less than 250cc. So there is hope.

D-1 is theoretically correct, but useless in practical application. In order to truly determine what D-1 equals you have actually push it to the application of D and then you've gone too far as that particular value of D only applies to that spousal unit who just said "berkeley you"!

mfennell
mfennell Reader
3/1/22 9:54 a.m.

I should have mentioned that the scooter idea seems to have been forgotten.  I think I would be comfortable with riding around the neighborhood but commuting seems like a terrible idea.  

We actually have a couple yard bikes.  A CRF70 with adult sized springs, seat, and bars, and a CRF50 that needs some attention.  I even had some trails on the property for a time but they haven't been ridden in a couple years.  

Two more broken bolts out last night and successfully tackled the worst one this morning.  It was blind and into the frame from the back.  Getting a good angle was difficult because the swingarm was in the way.  I ended up removing the chain guard and guide to just get in there.  The break was ugly too, so I had to start at a 30 degree angle and work my way to straight in.  Stress level was kind of high but it came out cleanly.  Only one more to go (don't get cocky!) and then I'm just bolting on new parts.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/3/22 7:53 a.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

I can't disagree!

mfennell
mfennell Reader
3/4/22 8:19 a.m.

Almost there!  Only a few hiccups.  The shifter parts have not arrived so I'm using the crashed bits.  That's causing (I hope!) friction in the shift mechanism.  Husky sent the wrong axle.  It was the right part number on the bag but the included axle was too small, meant for some KTM dirt bikes.  Fortunately, the old axle is serviceable, just scraped up.  The last hold-up for a test ride is the clutch reservoir.  A generic Amazon-sourced unit should be here today.  Aside: the reservoir is the only Husky part that was foolishly expensive.  $100.  A generic one is $10.

The sidestand sensor is $100+ too.  It turns out that a switch is not good enough for KTM/Husqvarna.  There's a magnet in the side stand.  When the magnet is close, apparently the sensor sets up a square wave signal.  That's right.  Actual circuitry creates a signal rather than just going high or low.  I can't imagine how/why that came about but it's world class dumb IMHO.  The bike is immobile if the magnet falls out or the wires get damaged.  There's no workaround.

On the that's kind of neat end of the spectrum, the white tailpieces are structural.  There's no frame structure underneath, just thick plastic.  I'm kind of embarrassed how long it took me to realize that.  They're called "subframes" in the parts list!  

Working on the wiring is not happy fun times.  There's a ton of crap stuffed in the area behind the headlight, and more under the tank.  Swapping the switchgear was the most annoying part of the whole project.

Cutting a new key cost $45!  The locksmith told me it's milled rather than cut like a normal key.  Apparently new Fords have a similar style.  At least it doesn't have a chip in it!

the_machina
the_machina Reader
3/4/22 11:16 a.m.

That's such a pretty bike!

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
3/4/22 11:44 a.m.

Looking good!

KTM has used that stupid hall effect sensor sidestand switch for quite a while now, and it routinely breaks on adventure bikes. The usual solution is to either take the magnet and sensor off and tape them together and tuck it up into the frame somewhere, or there is a dongle you can get that might work on your bike that simulates the side stand in the up position. That is definitely one of those "safety" features that I have absolutely no qualms with disabling.

Husky does the composite subframes on their dirt bikes as well. My 450 has one, and it has a noticeably different feel due to the way it flexes compared to my similar KTM with the aluminum subframe. It seems like a really good idea for a street bike, but in a dirt bike application they are known for being fairly breakable. One generation of the design, I've actually seen guys break it without crashing, just by being big dudes seat bouncing a jump or something. Not something you typically have to worry about on the street though.

mfennell
mfennell Reader
3/4/22 3:11 p.m.

Ready for a test ride!  Reservoir showed up just before lunch so I threw it on and bled the new master cylinder.  Only made a slight mess and the clutch is, um, clutching.

mfennell
mfennell Reader
3/5/22 10:39 a.m.

Nothing fell off or caught fire so I'm calling it a win.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
3/7/22 2:07 p.m.

Why did I think only the Svart had spoked wheels. Was it after a model year all the 701s got the spoked wheels?

mfennell
mfennell Reader
3/7/22 3:54 p.m.
fatallightning said:

Why did I think only the Svart had spoked wheels. Was it after a model year all the 701s got the spoked wheels?

Yep.  2020 for spoked wheels on the 701s.   Then they discontinued them!  It's a shame but I guess they just weren't selling.  Original price was $11,500.  Later $9,500 and a bunch of those were discounted to get them to move.  Great bikes but it's hard to get people to pay more for less.  Unless you're Porsche.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
3/8/22 8:51 a.m.

In reply to mfennell :

I was awful awfully tempted when they dropped to 9500, and then there was end of year Husky incentives on top. Something like $7500 before all the OTD fees. I'm sure I'll have one some day. I had a KTM 625 SMC for a spell, and that was a smidge too impractical, but I do love a big thumper.

mfennell
mfennell Reader
3/8/22 12:39 p.m.
fatallightning said:

In reply to mfennell :

I was awful awfully tempted when they dropped to 9500, and then there was end of year Husky incentives on top. Something like $7500 before all the OTD fees. 

*triggered* I quickly learned to hate new bike dealers.  The salesman at the Ducati dealer looked me straight in the eye and told two out right lies about a particular bikes availability (he wanted me to buy the used on in front of me).  Husky dealers came up with quotes of $7500 and $7800 for a $5300 401 Svartpilen.  Add to that - it is not possible to have a simple transaction at most motorcycle dealers and everyone has to attend the F&I guy rodeo.  It's especially bad in the off-season, when they have nothing but time to waste.

My local Husky dealer seems to be an exception.  He's essentially a one-man-band in a cheap space (not even a formal bike showroom) so he doesn't have a ton of mouths to feed or expensive square footage to pay for.  He actually connected me with the owner of the 701.  I think he just didn't want to work on it.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
3/8/22 1:10 p.m.
mfennell said:
fatallightning said:

In reply to mfennell :

I was awful awfully tempted when they dropped to 9500, and then there was end of year Husky incentives on top. Something like $7500 before all the OTD fees. 

*triggered* I quickly learned to hate new bike dealers.  The salesman at the Ducati dealer looked me straight in the eye and told two out right lies about a particular bikes availability (he wanted me to buy the used on in front of me).  Husky dealers came up with quotes of $7500 and $7800 for a $5300 401 Svartpilen.  Add to that - it is not possible to have a simple transaction at most motorcycle dealers and everyone has to attend the F&I guy rodeo.  It's especially bad in the off-season, when they have nothing but time to waste.

My local Husky dealer seems to be an exception.  He's essentially a one-man-band in a cheap space (not even a formal bike showroom) so he doesn't have a ton of mouths to feed or expensive square footage to pay for.  He actually connected me with the owner of the 701.  I think he just didn't want to work on it.

The local Husky dealer by me is almost all dirt bike stuff. I have a feeling they made him take an allotment of some of the street stuff as part of his dealer agreement. I had looked at a leftover Duke 390 at the local mega motorcycle store. It was end of year marked down to like, $3800-3900 or something, but after the song and dance, it was $5500. I passed. 

mfennell
mfennell Reader
3/9/22 8:50 a.m.

I suppose it's at least a little ironic that dealer shenanigans resulted in me owning a bike I much prefer.  If I had been given a reasonable quote (I'm sure $6400 on a $5300 MSRP covers tax, registration, and destination), I would have bought a new 401 Svartpilen.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/14/22 5:14 p.m.

I really like the 701's of both flavors.  Hope it serves you well and is a blast to ride.  

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
3/14/22 5:23 p.m.

Is it that it's a 701 or that it's the Vitpilen that you prefer? Curious minds and that. 

mfennell
mfennell Reader
3/15/22 1:29 p.m.

Both?  :)

I think it comes down to the intangibles.  I love the way it looks.  It's rare.  Performance is pretty good.  I have some skin in the game (literally).

I probably would have been happy with a 401 Svart but now that I have the 701 Vit, I wouldn't want to have a slower bike.  I liked that the Svart was so different from my Ducati but the Vit is still quite different.  No fairing, 80lbs less, and the big single make for (obviously, I guess) a totally different riding experience.  I have long arms so the bars are just fine too.  They're bolted directly to the upper triple so not as aggressive as a traditional clip-on.  Of course, my height and long arms make the 848 fairly comfy too.  YMMV.

Was that an answer?  Despite what I said above, if I was to buy a new 401, I'd probably get the Svart.  I have no idea why.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jd94JLUvJ54t9kxHvRz78BeCPI6M8H3CKR5oYwZNPFWxSzXs0QAkmxmL5Gh5D5xn