GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/24/20 10:20 a.m.

So I live less than 5 miles from my job, and I see no reason why I'm not biking two and from work on some kind of Ebike; I've had a lot of fun on my Sondors, but the thing's broken now and the 350w hub motor could never scale the hills in my area. I need to go mid-drive, but I have no idea what chassis I should start out with- and my posts on sites like Endless sphere went nowhere.

I'm looking for advice on what kind of bike chassis I should look for to shove a mid-drive in that can deal with poor city sidewalks (rust belt, we have NO laws for this) and some 20-grade hills. I'd like to try and have gears, but the more I can salvage off the Sondors the better. Any advice? Local cyclists near me have said a suspension seat may be all I need.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
5/12/20 4:02 p.m.

I would look for a cheap used hardtail mountain bike. Something from a real manufacturer so parts interchange but nothing fancy.  Throw some squishy streetish tires on it and have fun. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
5/15/20 11:35 a.m.

Would it be cheaper in the long run to hop-up your Sonders?

I would think the motor and controller wouldn't be too bad, but the battery is probably $$$.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
2/9/21 10:20 a.m.
williamyousaf said:

For a mid-drive commuting you should look for a motorcycle that has 120-600cc motorcycle. Such brands are great for this range of engine capacity. If I were you, I would look for any bike brand that has 600cc bikes.

can they tow a big canoe and a paddle?

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
2/10/21 2:59 p.m.

I'd look at the Luna Cycle drive kits and go from there. They're probably the most reputable from a generally unreputable corner of the bike industry.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/10/21 6:57 p.m.
Rodan said:

Would it be cheaper in the long run to hop-up your Sonders?

I would think the motor and controller wouldn't be too bad, but the battery is probably $$$.

Every time the eye-watering prices of e-bikes ease my itch for one, I find kits like this for sale that get me going again:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aK9JwXOO3qdXK6uHDZE0FbdxXoqORGWSHeBGNYvmALKMgZQlu8DKYYrtf4TQjVXp