wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/1/22 12:29 a.m.

So yeah got passed onto this deal on a modified Ducati from a friend and now this has happened. Wanted to try one for a few months and then move it on.  Still lusting over the SuperVeloce.

This thing has 10K in modifications on it and local shop had it dyno's at close to 161 at the wheel with the race tune. I know its been ridden on the street for most of its life but its been ridden harder then most. The super sport was a great bike so I know I Ducati's and this is more aggressive which is what I wanted so cheap entry and exit fee. 

For sale I will knock it back to the factory tune and sell the exhaust on for the profit. Going to do the valve job myself with a friend. Always want to work on a Desmo and there are so many bikes sitting at like 11-13K miles that have that big service out there to poach. 

Garage is a mess again please ignore. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/1/22 2:17 a.m.

Hnnnngh!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/1/22 2:20 p.m.

Think I got a good one. First time in my entire life of buying a bike with adjustable suspension where both the forks had the same settings, tires were at the right pressure, nothing loose or damaged just dirty. Rode the bike to work today, it gets a full clay bar, paint correction and ceramic coating tonight once I get it up on the lift.

Recorded the settings that were on the bike in my logs and then set it to the factory comfort settings front and rear. The settings on the bike were more aggressive then the track settings in the manual and they were dialed in for someone my weight but way to much for the street. Couple miles on the bike and the comfort settings in the front are too loose and the front end sort of washes out. I am definitely getting close to bottoming out the front. But much better for city riding. It has a autoblipper installed and I think it is doing its thing even when I shift without the DQS which is really nice but at slow speeds its a bit jerky.

Termi is not as loud as I expected, really good sound and growl though. I actually think a new rider could own one of these things if they were older and left it in wet mode for the first 10K miles. Nobody is going to do that but for the coffee shop Sunday guys its all the drama of a Italian bike with very little bite. Want to pull the baffles on the exhaust if they are in there. 

Reset the riding modes as well and put the wet mode to everything full on and low power and have been riding i like that. About as fast as my 17 SuperSport S in sport in that mode on the street. Taking the engine braking down to nothing helps with the jerkiness. Put it in RACE for about a mile and yeah its a handful thing is an animal.

Likely will just put it in sport and medium power for 99% of my riding on the street. Need to do the fitment for the bars and clutch levers, previous owner was taller then me and its a little bit of a reach. Its so much more aggressive then my SSS on the body position and really puts your weight on the front bars. This thing is more aggressive then a R6 for me in terms of fitment. I could like do about two hours on the bike before I need to get off. Which is pretty good. I can do 1K miles in a day on he Harley because it's a couch

Only thing I absolutely have to do to the bike is put grip pads on and change the ratio on the master brake cylinder. I crush my nuts breaking every single time I brake hard. Also the tires I have are way to aggressive for the street, I find that spot touring tires warm up faster and hold plenty for the riding I do but I am going to enjoy the sticky rubber while I have it.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/1/22 2:44 p.m.

I saw "P______ 959 Added to the Stable", checked the username, and clicked on the thread as quickly as I ever have. Only slightly disappointed to see a bike. Looks great, but I was so looking forward to seeing a Porsche 959 :-)

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/1/22 3:08 p.m.

Someone I know through cars and coffee that has two. He has multiple F40's. Like F40/F50/La Ferrari sitting next to each other and having a spare so he can track on and keep the other pristine. 

I have F U money. I could get a 959 if I wanted and stretched hard. 

He has F U money; and F your entire company and F your home country money. SUper chill and down to earth but be is up there on the Forbes list.  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/1/22 3:40 p.m.

If I could get a 959, I would in a heartbeat.  Can't say I've ever owned a bike that I'd want to clay bar, wax, ceramic coat, all of mine have been dual sports.  They're lucky if I ever rinse the mud off them...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/1/22 4:27 p.m.
docwyte said:

If I could get a 959, I would in a heartbeat.  Can't say I've ever owned a bike that I'd want to clay bar, wax, ceramic coat, all of mine have been dual sports.  They're lucky if I ever rinse the mud off them...

Ducati's leak, even the new ones. Could care less about the dirt and dust I do care about finding leaks quickly on a bike.  Same reason I paint my race car engine bays white. I want to know what is going on in there as soon as possible, expecially before it becomes a problem for someone else if I dump fluids on a track. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
6/1/22 5:43 p.m.

I always follow your threads and am kinda glad to see that you aren't immune to the n+1 even after the great purge you went through cheeky

So freaking cool. Sounds like you will get it dialed in fast. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/1/22 6:34 p.m.

I initially read this as Porsche 959 and thought to myself "goddamn weary went upmarket. " 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/1/22 6:48 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:

I always follow your threads and am kinda glad to see that you aren't immune to the n+1 even after the great purge you went through cheeky

I purged close to 250K worth of cars, parts and project shells. The bikes are easy to buy, easy to store, easy to insure and most important easy to sell. Life is much easier with just 4 car's not the 11 running ones I had at one point. 

Lately I just buy a good cheap start, get it all up to date, ride it and sell it on and honestly I have been breaking even or even making money. The Chopper and the 1948 Harley are about paid for with all the flipping I have done. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/1/22 10:44 p.m.

2 hours or so of cleaning and it's passable. 

Gzwg
Gzwg New Reader
6/2/22 4:17 a.m.

The Bug in the background! laugh

mfennell
mfennell Reader
6/2/22 11:28 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

The bikes are easy to buy, easy to store, easy to insure and most important easy to sell. Life is much easier with just 4 car's not the 11 running ones I had at one point. 

That's how it starts...   My buddy and his friend have an old rented hangar.  I bet they have 60 bikes there.  Maybe more.  From a Vincent to a DesmoRR to a TZ750.  A Harley dirt tracker.  RG500.  All kinds of just-before-my-time Ducatis, Nortons, and Triumphs.  John pulled out a Laverda triple for Sunday's ride.  I had never noticed it before.

I have a verbal deal on an Aprilia RS250 that I hope will work out.  Ring a ding ding!  I'll be up to 3, which is one past my easy-to-store limit.  Never fear, John assured me I could store one at the shop!  Enablers...

The 959 looks great.  I love my 848 as a one-foot-still-in-the-past sportbike but the new ones are really nice.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/2/22 1:53 p.m.

I just have a hard time owning multiples of something.  I had a FZ1 and a KTM 640 Adv at the same time and even though they were totally different bikes/riding experiences I just couldn't stand having one of them sitting there being unused.  It's sort of the same thing car wise for me too...

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/2/22 2:43 p.m.
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

I saw "P______ 959 Added to the Stable", checked the username, and clicked on the thread as quickly as I ever have. Only slightly disappointed to see a bike. Looks great, but I was so looking forward to seeing a Porsche 959 :-)

I had the exact same reaction. Definitely not mad about the bike though. These exotic Ducatis blow my mind with all the tech and speed. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/22 3:06 p.m.
Gzwg said:

The Bug in the background! laugh

You need to go back and find Weary's thread on that one. Its berkeleying awesome.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/2/22 3:31 p.m.

Better photos of the bug when it was boosted and stupid powerful. I think it made around 420 to the wheel on corn at around 21 PSI. No more boost though got sick of fixing transmission. Put about 1.5K miles on it in the last 6 months which is a lot for a dirt car that likes to cruise around 55 mph due to the 5.56 main gear. Glitterhoof is around 82 inches wide at the front and has power steering setup and 360 degree lock to lock steering with major Ackerman angle so I can drift it in the desert. 

/she sis a bit wide 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/19/22 2:26 p.m.

So put about 1500 miles on the bike so far. 

It was 102 a week back and I took it out. I am 90% sure the bike was trying to light me on fire on that ride. I have given up and ordered the heat foil film for the panels and seat. I also ordered some TriColor vinyl to make it look all racey and make it easier to keep scratch free. Funny enough as long as I am moving the seat is ok but if I wear riding pants and not a suit the cuffs come up just enough that the heat from the exhaust cooks my legs. Good thing it does not get above 80 here very often.

If anybody has a set of Termi inserts to quiet the pipes down I would love to buy them or at least get a part number. There is no way I am going to any track day with them oncorked. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
9/20/22 7:32 p.m.

That Ducati looks fast standing still. The Bug is badass as well!

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/20/22 7:48 p.m.

Nice!

Somehow I missed this thread first time around. It's not doing a darned thing to soothe the hole the Aprilia's departure left in my psyche.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
9/22/22 3:35 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

I have a rsvr I'd sell you if you want to fill it

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
9/22/22 4:54 a.m.

The way that bug is sitting in the garden in the first picture. I thought that is the wildest yard art I have ever seen!

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/22/22 6:09 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

That fact has continued to percolate and occasionally surface since I first became aware... But since I'm just moving my stuff out of storage into the new shop and haven't even managed to get the tiniest Ninja to the kart track in the three months since I bought it, I should probaby squash down ideas of futher motorcycle acquisition a bit longer...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z0FFyWAvfDKC20DCrdQP2pntyWsnvV80gz5CMvokVEQcVRWhv2lG5IoODiQW7IRt