1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 45

In reply to Slippery :

As Prof_Brap said, droppers are cheap these days, especially externally-routed ones like you will need, so no need to wish, just do it! Probably the single best MTB innovation in the last 25 years! Grab a fistful of small zip ties and flush cutter for a tidy install.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

I was blown away you can buy a decent sub $250 dropper. I remember when they came out how much of a game changer they where. 

fastoldfart
fastoldfart Reader
7/8/22 6:56 p.m.

Resurrection - 1984 Honda XR 350R

I built this up to be a killer woods bike in 1988. Pretty much threw the entire XR s Only catalogue at it.  Sold it twice to “friends “; both times they seemed to forget payment was their side of the deal after 6 + months.

i have had it buried in the back of my shop since 1992. Cleaned tank and float bowls, fresh gas and it fired up fourth kick. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/8/22 9:49 p.m.
fastoldfart said:

Resurrection - 1984 Honda XR 350R

I built this up to be a killer woods bike in 1988. Pretty much threw the entire XR s Only catalogue at it.  Sold it twice to “friends “; both times they seemed to forget payment was their side of the deal after 6 + months.

i have had it buried in the back of my shop since 1992. Cleaned tank and float bowls, fresh gas and it fired up fourth kick. 

Thumbs up for you, sir. A hot-rodded XR350 is exactly the kind of thing that kept me up at night way back then.

fastoldfart
fastoldfart Reader
7/10/22 5:15 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

I guess that young hooligans just grow into old hooligans.  Now my same neighbors are a bit sensitive about the rumble of the trackday V8 Mazda Rx7 . Trying to keep the peace by being home before 9:30-10 cruise nights.

They are not likely to love the Street legal SuperMoto conversion of an old 406 cc 2 stroke I'm considering.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/22 5:59 p.m.

All you dropper weirdos, just move back :) 

New bike day here. Janel wanted a "let's ride downtown or let's go look at the cacti or whatever" bike, but at 100F that's just an exercise in sweat so it doesn't happen. So we picked up an ebike cruiser: Trek Townie Go 7 speed. Torque assist 250W hub motor with batteries in the down tube so it's still a cute bike and not a motorcycle, but it lets you ride even in the heat without turning into a dripping mess. We went for a noodle around yesterday with me on the hardtail 29" and she damn near killed me as I tried to keep up. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/10/22 10:40 p.m.

Took a few pics of the R75/7 this evening, getting ready to sell it.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/22 6:14 p.m.

I wasn't planning on buying another bike but when a running pc800 sold by the original owner popped up on marketplace for $650...

Farewell ride to work (with obligatory stop at local moto coffee shop on the way in) while getting ready to sell my beloved but temperamental '08 Aprilia SXV550 with 4200 miles on the clock. She ran well the whole way there and back, so I guess I ironed out all the kinks for the next owner! laugh The performance and riding experience (with clear roads) is unmatched in my experience, but I'm not committed enough to keep both this and my Husky 701...even if not the same, there is too much use case overlap. If I end up regretting it, maybe I'll try a Husaberg FS570 next...if I can find one!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/15/22 10:27 a.m.
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

Took a few pics of the R75/7 this evening, getting ready to sell it.

Beautiful bike!!  I always wanted on of those with an old school uncomfortable leather solo seat.

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
7/18/22 1:23 p.m.

Got my first bike a couple weeks ago. A 1989 FZR600

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/22 1:50 p.m.

New Acquisition. A "barn find" before and after a bath.

I need to go through the carbs and brakes, and maybe put ona stock exhaust from the parts bike that came with it.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/18/22 4:14 p.m.

2017 KTM Freeride 250R

I'd been looking for one of these for a few years and found this one in the spring.

I'm predominantly a motocrosser, but have been spending more and more time riding trails and competing in hare scrambles. Some motocross bikes are very good for this, as my Husqvarna was, but I wanted a dedicated woods bike. I tried a few, including a KTM XC-W 200 last year, but found them to be too big in the tight woods. Too tall for my short legs,  too long in the tight twisty stuff, and just too heavy. So I decided to give this a try. It's a 250 2 stroke, non-power valve engine that most compare to that of a trials bike. In fact, many people say this is very close to a trials bike. I disagree. Owning a modern 300 trials bike, I see very few similarities except for maybe the tighter turning radius, and non power valve engine. though it's not as nimble, doesn't turn as tight and is significantly faster than any trials bike I've ever ridden.

So after about a dozen riding hours, mostly at my club's facility, my mind still wasn't made up. It's good, but not great, though the stock tires are terrible. It's half decent on the road, sixth gear is a transit gear, so I can cruise over to the club's property at 80km/hr no problem. But last week I went to my buddies home riding spot which consists of super tight, nasty, worn out whooped up single track, with roots everywhere, the kind I'm normally terrible on, and stayed right with him. This thing absolutely shines in the tight stuff. It has limited suspension, but torque all day, turns on a dime, and is light enough it never seems like a burden. And if I make a mistake, it's short enough that I don't have to worry about toppling over like on the EXC bikes.

And it's super funky. The seat folds up to reveal a small air filter that plugs in through the middle of the tank. It has electric start, KTM105 suspension, and the frame consists of a steel cradle, that aluminum forging, and a thick composite (the black plastic) subframe. If you like unusual, and I do, this bike has it in spades.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/19/22 12:52 p.m.

5 months ago we found 3 1981 Suzuki GS250T bikes on a three place trailer. We paid $350 for each bike and $700 for the trailer. A little fiddling and cleaning and this past weekend they carried us more than 400 miles around the Tail of the Dragon at the Reliability Rally event, and we even won the event. Good little bikes. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
7/19/22 4:05 p.m.

Here's part of fleet. Gotta finish some more mounts so I can adorn the rest of my wall.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
7/19/22 4:31 p.m.

Just got my first ever road bike (bicycle). A mid-1980s Trek 330. Always liked the look of steel frames with downtube  shifters.

not afraid to jump my mountain bike or dirt jump bike, not afraid to drag a knee at the track(or occasional back road) on a motorcycle. But scared as hell to ride a bike in the road. Will stay on paved bike paths for now.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/19/22 6:00 p.m.

Here is the new Oldwing I mentioned in an earlier thread. One owner and was sent to the auction by his family after he passed. It had been parked for 22 years but a $35.00 carb kit and a $65.00 rear master kit and its back on the road. I really need to change out the 22 year old but brand new Metzlers though before I inevitably blow the steer.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
7/23/22 9:00 a.m.

My bikes right now, 1972 Yamaha XS650 heavily modified except in the cases and a 2006 Triumph Speed Triple that I haven't modified at all.

Keith Tanner
7/23/22 4:18 p.m.
DaveEstey said:

5 months ago we found 3 1981 Suzuki GS250T bikes on a three place trailer. We paid $350 for each bike and $700 for the trailer. A little fiddling and cleaning and this past weekend they carried us more than 400 miles around the Tail of the Dragon at the Reliability Rally event, and we even won the event. Good little bikes. 

That's basically a bike gang starter kit. I assume you'll all be dressing the same. Think of the heists you could pull off!

Keith Tanner
7/23/22 4:23 p.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Cool rack idea. I like it. 

Yesterday was New Bike Day for Keith. And an actual NEW bike, the first one since...umm...my rigid Stumpjumper in the 90s?

I shall no longer be the weakest link when bike path riding with Janel. Luna Fixed Stealth, a 500W e bike cosplaying as a hipster fixie. Specs are good, bike is a really nice piece of design. I'm going to get some black Scotchlite film to add secret reflectivity and lose the wheel reflectors. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/23/22 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I had to go back and look, since I skip the bicycle posts (not my thing blush) But that is definitely a cool rack!

EricM
EricM SuperDork
8/5/22 9:58 p.m.

NEW BIKE DAY!!!!

Trek Fuel EX 8

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/6/22 1:30 a.m.

Found an open box deal for Arrow slip ons that I combined with a 20% off coupon earlier this year. They really slim down the look of the bike, and are barely louder than stock with the DB killers in.

And this past Monday I got the final piece of the puzzle I've been waiting about 6 months on, a custom seat tailored to my height with a gel insert. Note the pic above I've been sitting on an ugly kneeling pad. The bike looks so much better without that eyesore.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
8/7/22 4:23 a.m.

Feels great having this thing back out again. Boost comes on quicker now and seems to hit harder. She's a Muzzy's built s3 turbo bike with a bunch of prototype or unique parts on her. 

Every Friday has been pump track/trail ride day for me. Got some killer deal on some take off parts for it this week also. 

1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 45

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ypifkCJdAqa1Tnv1SDTaEvGMC9oYPoXu5fHk9Zfz3tyDgENsFPPo1RUSyxopMOxs