t25torx
t25torx Dork
9/28/22 11:26 a.m.

Morning all! I haven't posted about anything in forever because I haven't done anything motor related in forever. I'm trying to get my motivation back and figured I would start small with getting my 750 back to a respectable place. It's been treating me good and i figured it was time I did the same to it with 43K miles on the clock. 

So I rolled it into the now free garage space thanks to the Daytona not being around anymore. It was needing some fork seals, I found one was split and leaking, a valve cover gasket as it was also leaking, and a few odds and ends here and there. I rebuilt the front master cylinder also as it was feeling a bit spongy and it also needed the sight glass replaced. Went ahead and ordered a stainless braided line for the front also. 30yo rubber hoses make me a little scared. While I had it inside I also opted to go ahead and paint it, something I was wanting to do for a while but just couldn't get the motivation or the time when I was willing to stop riding it. 

So enjoy the pictures. of the transformation!

Fork seal shot 

Rebuilt fork #1.

I made some parts trees out of old pipe and wheels I had laying around. Stripped the tank and sanded the plastics for primer. I used Self-etching primer on the bare metal and 2k urethane on the rest.

Blue went on first. 

Then the white. I had to put the parts back on to get the panels to line up between colors.

Then finally the red, decals and 2K urethane automotive clear. I shot all this through a Harbor Freight HVLP gun. 

Had to let all that dry for a day and then had a couple of runs I had to correct. It's not a perfect show finish but for me it's just fine.  I also sprayed the wheels with some gold paint, but they came out more bronze than I had planned. Oh well. 

The shakedown ride went well, still had to bleed the brakes a litle more but overall I was pleased with the results and it should be good for another 43K miles!

For some perspective. Here is the original paint after 30 years and lots of sun damage.

Old Busted.

New hotness!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/28/22 2:23 p.m.

No photo description available.

That was my 93 I had for 18 years.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/28/22 4:09 p.m.

"New hotness" is right. The new color scheme looks great!

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/22 5:16 p.m.

Nice! Those bikes area real bang-for-the-buck sweet spot.

Also,I can smell this picture.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/28/22 6:51 p.m.

Everything I've read about those bikes is positive. That paint scheme is nice, but now you need to spiff up the rest of the bike.

Also, more AMC Hornet content needed.

Nice job! The paint scheme looks great; I've always like the RWB on Hondas, and this is a really nice execution.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
10/10/22 6:23 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Bah, it's a runner not a show queen. I'll clean up some stuff here and there and do the maintenance. Other than that, it's for riding and enjoying. AMC content hopefully inbound soon. This was one of the smaller projects I wanted to tick off my list before going back to that list of issues. 

I based this paint off the CB750 that was the better equipped Euro version of the time. Just laid the edging by eyeballed till it looked "right". Would like the blacked out motor, but maybe one day when the engine gives out I'll get one from a 2001 or so that had the black case from the factory. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
10/10/22 8:46 p.m.

Is that exhaust loud? Between being V&H and short it looks like it.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/22 10:03 p.m.

Well done!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b8cFHIHGC4OmqIzB2mirYxww9Qpg8CHQIsUsm3b1mTw6rxLHDzblKOtM6fcqLdeE