1 2 3
dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/6/20 7:25 p.m.

No before tear down photos but I've been hunting another 24 inch for this half of my twins. It's a scwhinn and it's old enough to be built before the scwhinn warehouse fire so not sure exact year just pre 53. Skiptooth my kid finds nest so it will be saved. Traded the huffy camaro for it.

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/6/20 8:19 p.m.

I have one of those Monarch Silver Kings. I would love to see someone give it some love, but there aren't any of the right clientele around these parts. To me it's a really cool post Art Deco design, but other than something to look at, it's not in my wheelhouse.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/20 8:44 p.m.

In reply to Gingerbeardman :

I’m glad I’m not closer to you!

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/6/20 8:47 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

I’m glad I’m not closer to you!

Fortunately we have UPS and FedEx out here, not just Pony Express and Wells-Fargo! laugh

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/6/20 10:24 p.m.

Silver Kings are awesome looking bikes, since I don't do restorations I'm the wrong guy for that but if your ever looking to unload it try thecabe.com my monark are both rockets one is just badged Firestone 

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/7/20 10:14 p.m.
dropstep said:

Silver Kings are awesome looking bikes, since I don't do restorations I'm the wrong guy for that but if your ever looking to unload it try thecabe.com my monark are both rockets one is just badged Firestone 

Thanks for that! I've been floating the idea to bike shops in MT and ID, but so far no one's nibbled.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/13/20 7:01 p.m.

won't bore you with all the photos but we had a 65 degree rainy day so my son got to do a lot of cleaning. Everything's ready to start reassembly hopefully this weekend. Tomorrow he gets too learn how to rebuild hubs since the purple power soak has all the bearings good as new 

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/14/20 10:29 p.m.

Talk to Chris at Bull Moose bikes in Twin Falls, ID. They absolutely love stuff like this...

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/17/20 2:29 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Thanks, I'll give them a ring!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/18/20 7:04 p.m.

Made some progress on the scwhinn with twin #2 today. Dropouts and chaingaurd make it pre war (ww2) as soon as the chain is done soaking in gas and oil we should make it ready to ride. This spring both of my twins will be riding bikes older then there grandfathers 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/11/20 6:49 a.m.

Don't mind the mess, took a break from the kids bike to finish the spaceliner. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/18/20 5:00 p.m.

Today was shakedown ride day for my spaceliner and one sons scwhinn. Still a bit chilly out and they hate pictures but having 12 year olds who enjoy bikes built before there grandparents were alive is neat.

Pete Gossett
2/18/20 5:55 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

Awesome, I especially love your Spaceliner!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/22/20 5:37 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

It turned out awesome for me, the original seat does suck and will get replaced. Now that the kids both have an old bike my wife finally wants hers finished! 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/3/20 7:34 p.m.

it's addicting. Found my wife the woman's mate to my spaceliner. Hers even has the original tank with working light. She's a Seahawks fan so the teal factory stuff will be accented with bright green tires etc. then this old colson was too cheap to pass up. Using it to test my new bike stand. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/4/20 10:05 p.m.

Built this one for a friend. The seat looks out of place but he's 350lbs and wanted comfort. Frame and fork are the coppertone 67 scwhinn I sold him.

Pete Gossett
3/5/20 5:34 a.m.

Nice. You & Mrs. having matching Spaceliners is awesome!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/10/20 1:25 p.m.

Hers will be getting a few things changed after it's first ride like the seat and handlebars but it was nice to get a ride in while the weather was good

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/24/20 12:23 p.m.

The wife's bike got some more green parts and some new bars. She's happy with it now.  Then I got bored during quarantine and built a bike from spare parts with a frame I was going too scrap58 scwhinn jaguar with a bent cantilever. After this I scrapped a little over 300 pounds of bike parts. Corona boredom has been great for cleaning up the basement. If it warms up I'll start on my garage!

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
3/26/20 11:56 a.m.

The frame is a '77 Takara Hi-Ten (nothing special).  I always wanted a "Gulf" livery bike--so I built this as a display piece for my living room wall.  

I buillt a similar Ross Cro-Mo that I do ride.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
4/10/20 12:17 p.m.

Loving the Schwinn your son is on with the gum wall tires, as well as your klunker!  AWESOME stuff!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
4/22/20 10:54 p.m.

Finally got around too putting actual 24 inch wheels on my son's cwc instead of the 26's crammed into a 24 inch bike. Been a lot of family rides during quarantine! 

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
4/24/20 4:35 p.m.

Nice!  I did some work on my old Ross 10 speed today.  Maybe I'll throw some pics up here once I'm all done.  Next thing I want to do is a Klunker, all of your old Cruisers have inspired me!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
4/27/20 6:40 p.m.
sethmeister4 said:

Nice!  I did some work on my old Ross 10 speed today.  Maybe I'll throw some pics up here once I'm all done.  Next thing I want to do is a Klunker, all of your old Cruisers have inspired me!

If your building a klunker to trail ride start with a frame like a heavy duti or worksman unless your willing to add a gusset. These old frames look fantastic but they aren't the strongest. That's why my monark has a gusset. 

jdogg
jdogg Reader
4/30/20 8:11 a.m.

Man Im really digging that Spaceliner

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zktKMrd5qPp350F74k7ZDhw5konGgMPDoa7mTXGQ6YSS6HXixxKNAobW5VXxlhQG